Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Flower Garden

You're welcome, Raccoon.

Too funny, Shrooms N Blooms! Keep looking and good luck finding a bulb. You will love them.

Congrats on your new system, Sheila! I have the (two) 4 foot fluorescent tube light set-up also, and they work fabulously to grow winter seedlings like it's summertime! Anyone can get this set-up too at the hardware store for around $50 to $60. It's well worth the investment and you will use it for years and years. Not much hydro to run them either.

I've put a "little blue" hot pepper seedling under my compact Sun Master light and will show it tomorrow. I'll post pictures of it every week so you guys can see the growth from the lamp.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Flower Garden

Regular cfls work as well, it just depends on the wattage and lumiens produced. Used lights for a long time and they do work well.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Flower Garden

Yes, fluorescent lights are wonderful, Tess. The lighting is gentle and it doesn't burn plants, like my metal halide bulb can.... if I'm not careful.

Love fluorescent lights for seedlings.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upKitchen Cupboard Set-up!

Ok so I decided to set up my lamp, under my kitchen sink!

I usually don't run any of my lamps until winter but I've set the SunMaster bulb up early, to show you guys how great plants grow under fluorescent full-spectrum lighting. Having it under my sink, gets it out of the way and illustrates how you can set up a garden just about anywhere in your home. Having artificial lighting doesn't have to take up space or be inconvenient.

Any dark dingy corner that you want to bring some life or cheer to, will make a great spot to set up your lamp-garden. My picture shows a "Little Blue" hot pepper seedling that I'll grow just for this experiment. It was born in an east window in my kitchen, but now it's under the sink!

More pics soon...

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 07-06-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you very much for sharing and the illustration
Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upCuttings!

Did you know that cuttings root super well under artificial fluorescent lighting?

Yup, they do.

No point in wasting good light, so tonight I added some cuttings to my under-the-kitchen-sink garden!

Among them, are my two latest Japanese Red Maple "Glowing Embers" cuttings...

In the back are Madagascar Jasmine and Christmas Cherry (ardisia crenata). Thought I'd see what happens to my cuttings under the light....

I have a feeling I know exactly what will happen!

More pictures soon....

Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Flower Garden

the Madagascar jasmine sounds very pretty but i have never heard of it before and the Christmas cherry either but they all very look very pretty under your little grow lights all your plants look very lovely for you
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Flower Garden

The great thing about fluorescent lighting is that it doesn't burn the leaves, unless they are directly touching the bulbs....and sometimes not even then.

Also worth noting....

When using artificial lighting, it's always best to hook your system up to a timer so that your lights come on and off everyday at the same time. They're inexpensive and convenient.

Some people leave their lights on for 24 hours but in my opinion plants need at least 6 hours of darkness a day. My light comes on every morning at 6am and shuts off automatically each night at midnight.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you for helping learn all this as they say African Violets do better with a light but i never knew much about them so far my African Violets are doing really good i have 3 in my north window one on my computer desk across the room from the north window, one on top of my entertainment center right next to my north window and the rest in the bedroom on my dresser
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Flower Garden

Yes, when I rooted my African Violet cuttings in the past...it was always under fluorescent lights. They pretty much guarantee success.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Flower Garden

okay i will try that as i have no light and so far the number that rooted or took off for me is zero but keep trying till i get it right i have heard to start them in dirt and then i have heard to start them in water i have never tried the water but they all die in dirt
Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Flower Garden

I've only ever rooted mine in soil but yes a fluorescent light is the key to success. You could even get some fluorescent tube lights from the hardware store. They're cheap. The fixture that holds the tube lights is what costs the money. I bought a 4 foot long fixture for 60 bucks but there are even 2 foot long ones for half that cost.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Flower Garden

i have a fluorescent light for a fish aquarium that works but no fish what if we set them in the aquarium in dirt and then put the light on top will that work as well
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Flower Garden

You could try it...why not?

I'm all for experiments.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Flower Garden

sounds good to me i will get some soil tomorrow and would they be alright in African Violet soil with the fertilizer in it my husband said did you go to Japan and wake up some of the japanese to get Japanese Red Maple tree
-->