Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upGrow Lights

Does anyone use supplemental lighting for their indoor plants?

I have a terrific 400W metal halide system, and two 4' long fluorescent tube bulbs...but I especially love these convenient and compact SunMaster fluorescent grow bulbs that I get from Ontario Grower's Supply for $12 each. They simply screw into any standard size desk lamp with a bendable neck, so you can aim it towards your plant. These bulbs offer more than 10,000 hours of full-spectrum lighting!

One bulb will support one medium to large plant, or several seedlings....and they save 75% more electricity than an incandescent bulb.

Has anyone tried these great lights....or other lights? I've been using them for years with total success. They're great for growing seedlings or rooting cuttings in winter, which is what I mainly use mine for.

The store I get these bulbs from, tells me they actually sell these bulbs to people with SAD, as well as cancer patients too, and they are very helpful.

This thread will be to discuss grow lights and share experiences you've had with them.

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 07-05-2014 at 08:34 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Flower Garden

i have never used grow lights on of my plants and have never seen the ones you a re talking bout now unless it is just a normal light bulb
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Flower Garden

Nope, it's not a regular incandescent bulb, Raccoon. It's a full-spectrum fluorescent plant grow light. But it can be screwed into a regular deck lamp with a bendable neck. Got one from wal-mart for 10 bucks.

Regular bulbs will not support plants, unfortunately.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Bush

I have one of those, but I switched to their SunBlaster T5 Flourescents (2') and have 5 in a 28"x20" light box. I kept my Adenium seedlings, Tropical Hibiscus under them all winter and into spring. Only used for 6-7hrs/day to extend length of daylight hrs. Had them in south facing window. They did very well and not noticeable on Hydro bill.
Larger plants just had south facing window.
RC
Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Flower Garden

okay thank you again for the helpful information will the aquarium lights do any good
Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Flower Garden

Very cool indeed, Richard Charles.

Yes, I have access to other types of bulbs too but I guess I'm just partial to these ones. They do such a great job for me and I love how compact they are.

My metal halide system supports my larger plants but these are perfect for my small ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Not sure about your aquarium lights, Raccoon....depends on the type of bulbs they are. They have to be full-spectrum bulbs and able to sustain plants, in order for them to be successful.

I'll get some shots soon so you guys can see how terrific plants grow under supplemental lighting.

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 07-05-2014 at 08:59 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Flower Garden

okay thank you very much it is very much appreciated
Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Flower

Never Done grow lights... heard of them just never done them.... Might have to make room and try them sometime...
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Flower Garden

well i have not tried any lights before either but if i run out of regular light i am going to try them also
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Flower Garden

Check the hydroponic stores....they might have them. Every indoor gardener has got to have a grow light! I've actually given these little bulbs to gardening friends in the past. They adore them.

Ok to illustrate how easy it is, I've taken a quick picture. This shows my clip-on desk lamp with the bendable/adjustable neck. I just clamped it to my trellis for the picture. You can set it up anywhere. No special lamp is required because these bulbs will fit any standard socket. You need the bendable neck though so you can aim the bulb at the plant, as illustrated below...

Tried to get a shot with the bulb turned on but it was too bright and it made everything else in the picture look black!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you for sharing with us we appreciate it
Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Flower Garden

You're welcome, Raccoon. Hope you guys find one in time for winter. It will help you to grow better plants in the colder months.

Just to be clear...

The mini lilies under my bulb in my picture, have NOT been grown under the light. I just placed it there for the picture.

I will start growing a hot pepper seedling under my bulb to illustrate how nicely they grow under artificial lighting. It's pretty impressive.

Pictures coming soon...
Old 07-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you very much for this showing even if it was just to show us i really appreciate it and thank you again
Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Flower

Think I will have to look online for some, the clerks at the stores today looked at me like I was nuts and needed to go back to the nut house...
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K

Thumbs upHello

I have used these type of bulbs and they work great. Last month for my birthday I got a 4 ft. grow light system with a cord for adjusting the height of the light. I'm one happy camper now. So looking forward to growing lots of seeds using this light. Thanks for sharing.
-->