Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Acorn

Elephant ear plant in San Diego. Doable?

A couple of months ago I walked into my local garden center and found the most awesome plant I have ever seen. Elephant ear. It's bold. It's attractive. And I love big leaves.

The problem is I am still fairly new to plants, and the plant was 40 dollars. But I wonder if I can grow my own in a pot. It would go perfect right outside my door. Does anyone have experience with these in pots? I live in the San diego area. The summers get super hot, and the winters are mild. How difficult is it to care for elephant ear?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Sprout

I say go for it! But you could try a more affordable option like trying to find some bulbs. Then you will get the experience of growing them. It would be a bummer to lose a $40 one.
Mine grow in a partially sunny location in my front garden with no special care. My sister has hers growing in a big planter. I think they do well either way. And there are lots of different kinds you can collect!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have elephant ears in Alabama zone 8...and they do great outside..the winter time they will dye down but no worries because they always pop back out in summer and multiply like crazy..(which is good) I started with one bulb and now have a yard full..even after the ones I have shared with many. I would check your zone for elephant ears.
I'm sure you will love these as much as I do! Your plant should have had information telling how to care for it! Blessings

http://www.elephantearsplants.com/el...arsgrowing.htm
This site tells they are hard to 40 degrees , but we get down lowers and they still pop back out in summer.. If you are not sure. you can always cover for that extra protection during cold spells!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"

Last edited by Diane; 08-09-2015 at 06:21 AM..
Old 08-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Elend View Post:
A couple of months ago I walked into my local garden center and found the most awesome plant I have ever seen. Elephant ear. It's bold. It's attractive. And I love big leaves.

The problem is I am still fairly new to plants, and the plant was 40 dollars. But I wonder if I can grow my own in a pot. It would go perfect right outside my door. Does anyone have experience with these in pots? I live in the San diego area. The summers get super hot, and the winters are mild. How difficult is it to care for elephant ear?

My 2 cents worth - There are a whole lot of plants that fall under the common name "elephant ear" (Alocasias, Colocasias, Xanthosomas, to name 3), and some are easy, and some are finicky - without knowing the specific identity of the plant that you saw at that nursery, it would be hard to guess at how well it might do for a novice grower in your locality, let alone whether it is worth the risk at that $40 asking price.

Just a suggestion - take the opportunity to get out and have a good look around the landscapes in your neighborhood and see if you see that plant being used in the way that you are considering using it, we can always learn from the experiences of others, and maybe take some photos .

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 08-09-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Tree

Hi Elend - I have grown several types of elephant ears in pots and they have done extremely well. Elephant ears tend to send up lots of babies once they get established and I found out that if you want your elephant ear to get as large as possible, it helps if you pull the babies out as they sprout up around the main plant. This way all the energy is going towards the 'mother' plant. Also, I don't know if you knew this, but they bloom also - the flowers remind me of the types you see on spath plants. .
-->