Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Sprout

Thumbs upCoffee for your houseplants

Hello everyone! Ive been researching something for the past few days.. watering with coffee or using coffee grounds in soil to acid loving plants. Apparently Coffee provides nitrogen, which encourages foliage growth. I decided to try it with my smallest christmas cactus, I poured room temperature diluted (with water) coffee into the soil and 3 days later I am seeing 4 new tiny leaves growing! I have read that people have had dying plants that were completely revived by adding coffee.. This is really great info in my eyes and I just wanted to share with everyone here. Hopefully this little tip of info will help someone someday..
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Flowering Shrub

I'll be interested to hear what other here have to say about it since coffee is always around in our house (as are plants).
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Flower Garden

I've heard of using coffee grounds but I never thought of pouring coffee into my house plants! What a great idea~thanks for sharing this
Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Acorn

Trying to root a pencil plant !!!! It really looks droopy. I let it scab and added rooting compound. How long does it take to root ?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Sprout

Glad I could pass on some helpful info fearadyn! I dilute my cup of coffee with water, of course no cream and sugar, just black. Like I said , I did a little trial on one of my really small christmas cactus's and within 2 to 3 days I noticed 4 tiny new leaves forming on the tips. This cactus has had zero growth since I got it in November. Today I watered a few more of my plants with coffee.. hoping to see some more great results soon
Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Flower Garden

I've used coffee to water with for years. It works fantastically, Ive saved up coffee grounds after use, dried them out and mixed them in potting soil or in the garden. When your are going to dry the grounds out, make sure they are spread out good, cause if they aren't they will mold. You can also use the grounds wet too. I do this when I'm repotting something and mix in the wet right around the roots before I water.
Philippians 4:13

Last edited by Tess1893; 03-20-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Sprout

alaneb - I have no idea about a pencil plant, sorry. Maybe try starting a thread and someone may be able to help you out... good luck
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Flower Garden

Just gave a bunch of my different types of plants that like acidic soil some coffee water today~I will let you know how they do!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Flower Garden

Alanb, are you talking about a pencil cactus? Is so what have you got it rooted in? If it is wrinkly and drooping it isn't getting enough water and probably the soil it's e right mix for it.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Sprout

yes fearadyn let us know!!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Sprout

I've been using coffee grounds in a lot of my mixes. Last summer I kept a bucket out the back door and dumped my grounds in there then would mix it in with my soil. Was helping with texture and retaining some moisture. Did a bit of reading and found out it actually helps out with slugs and stuff too. Did have issues with fungus/mold sometimes. Think it was fear who posted in the Morning Glory Grow Out thread that if you sprinkle cinnamon over it, the cin will help keep fungus under control. Crossing my fingers that works!
If you want to use the actual coffee I think that has a lot of acid so it wont be for all plants. Find out which prefer more acidity.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Flower Garden

to prevent mold, lay your used coffee filter and coffee on a saucer or salad plate and spread out the grounds then let them set and dry out. then put them in the bucket. keeping the bucket in a dry place, mixing it often with compost or soil; it makes great potting soil.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Flower Garden

I may be wrong but my Christmas cactus that I added the coffee water too looks like it's got a few blooms coming on!! And it bloomed last fall!

I am amazed
Old 03-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Sprout

Thats AWESOME fearadyn!!! yay!!! I ended up adding coffee to all of my christmas cactus's and they ALL have new growth! I am so glad I found out about this!!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Flower Garden

My african violet seems to also love it, I am seeing blooms on it which almost never happens for me
-->