Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Acorn

QuestionAfrican Violets

Hello guys and gals... it's been quite some time since I've been in here (maybe 3 years??)...
So much has happened since then. Any replies unanswered I'm so sorry!
So I just got african violets for the first time. I've wanted them for years. They were small and beautiful in the store. I brought them home and immediately the flowers all died off. I'm not sure what's going on. I water from the bottom with slightly warmer than room temp water (sit the pot in a bowl of water) first I tried 30 minutes bUT that seemed to be too long because the bottom leaves got soggy. Then 20, now I'm down to less than 15.
Now the leaves have slightly changed colors, no flowers, even some leaves have died off. I only water when it's dry.
I'm so in love with these and I'm scared that I've messed up!
Please help! !!!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Sprout

ark-darrell:

I know nothing about violets but I do know about receiving a store-bought plant and having it die within a week. This has happened to me more than once. I've realized that it's not me doing something wrong. It's the store [or the grower] and the treatment of the plant before it came to me.

I suggest going to wherever you purchased the violets and getting either replacements or a refund. The sooner you do this, the better chance you have of getting one or the other.

Last edited by ohhmye; 06-16-2016 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 06-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Forest

Check under the leaves for some bugs or something.. I once had them an they went nuts, then like you said , it all failed??
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 AM
Acorn

African Violet

Hi, I hope this will be of some help. My gran used to have pots and pots of African violets in all sorts of colours. They don't like too much water (max twice a week) and they always gre best on a windowsill with indirect light.

As a back-up the also grow very well from leaf cuttings - if you're worried this one may die or if you simply want to share the love and gift a friend / family you can just pick a leaf off (the lower big ones work best) and have it rest with the stem submerged in water for a few weeks till you have some good root growth.

Also it's quite common for the flowers to fall off when relocating - they're somewhat fussy and take time to settle. Don't worry too much but try grow the cutting as a back up or simply for fun.

Best,
Kim
Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Forest

Smile

Correct advice.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Blossom

I also just started growing african violets. What i do is i simply let them dry out a bit and also only bottom water them. Pinch off all the dried/dead spent flowers to incourage new buds. They like bright indirect light. I have four variegated now, maybe 3 double bloom variety, blue. They seem to be doing good so far.
-->