Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Alabama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Flower

Advice on keeping plants from overheating/burning up

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep plants from overheating or burning up in this heat?...some of my plants are looking poorly or burning up even tho we water at least every evening and sometimes in the early mornings also...some of them i can bring inside because they are in pots...even some of my plants that say full sun seem not to like the sun/heat lately ...thanks ya'll for the advice
Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Flower Garden

Shade cloth is your best bet .. you can usually buy it at the big box stores.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Blade of Grass

Send a message via Yahoo to Donna Dean Send a message via Skype™ to Donna Dean
My Papaw always told me that when it is hot enough that the dew does not fall never water your plants by spraying over the foliage because it will scorch it. He said to lay the hose down and water it from the bottom. I say that, but I always forget. He should know what he is talking about though cause my family have been farmers since way back. He was born in 1927 and has probably forgotten more about farming than I will ever know.

Also, if you are watering every day, your plants are not rooting as deeply as they need to. This gives them shallow roots and they will dry out much faster. If they do have shallow roots, mulch them generously before watering so they won't dry out so fast. I have a pushmower that has a mulch blade and a bagger. It has been a lifesaver at times.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
I have cover mine with anything I could find, old umbrella, tarps. the yard looks funky with all the makeshift structure I have designed. we have a band here on watering the yard $250 fine, we can however water on Sundays after 7 till Monday at 4am. I have been saving 2 little bottle filling them with water and tuning them upside down in the ground. I move all the pots out of the sun.. I have set some down in container filled with water.
I like Moonfire, am interested in any ideas that ya all might have. I just thought today I would cover the ground with card board and cover it with mulch. God help us all! its hotter than Hatis

Check out my swap list!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Flower

thanks for the advice i never thought about the roots being too shallow...i shall mulch...and i shall fix 2 liter bottles also...have a friend who does that in his vegie garden ...hehe and i will check on shade cloth or cover-up's even tho i may have the funniest looking yard in florala doing that lol ....most of my plants/flowers are 1st year ones also so they may be a little more tender than they would be if they were older...don't know if that makes a difference but maybe if i can get them past this summer they will do better next year?
-->