Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Miscellaneous > Coffee Talk > Wildlife Watchers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Flowering Shrub

opinions needed

While working in my yard this weekend, I found a ground bee hive in one of my raised flower beds (Our should I say they 'found' me?), needless to say I only suffered one sting, though several tried, lol...

The hive is in an out of the way, non-traffic area, the bees are not a 'threat' to me as I now know they are there now, and I plan on letting others know in the family.....

Part of my family and neighbors want me to spray them with insecticide and get rid of them..., I would prefer to leave them alone (I don't like pesticides), and I'm told they are great little pollinators, but can be aggressive if the hive is disturbed.....

So I guess the question is...... To spray or not to spray?

What's your opinion?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Tree

here at my house the rule is "if it's not bothering you then you don't bother it" I don't believe in killing something just because it's there. if it's not in a high traffic zone and no one in your household is allergic to them then, I wouldn't bother them. just my opinion. I hope you can find a good solution that suits your family's needs.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Bush

For me it would depend on what kind of bee they are. Yellow jacket and hornets are outta here!!

Now if they are true ground bees, and there are lots of types, then generally they aren't aggressive and are indeed good pollinators, and I think you would be fine to let them stay.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Forest

Smile

I agree with cici
Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Flowering Shrub

Other then my dogs, I live alone,... not being allergic to bee stings, I am leaving them alone (for now)... any repairs I need to do to that bed can be made in cooler weather when the bees are hibernating.

On the other hand my 5 year old granddaughter is very curious about them,... so after the bees calmed down we sat and watched them (from a safe distance), and talked about them, she knows they can sting and she too, wants me to let them stay. (her opinion is still out on catipillers)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Tree

Originally Posted by aravenschild View Post:
Other then my dogs, I live alone,... not being allergic to bee stings, I am leaving them alone (for now)... any repairs I need to do to that bed can be made in cooler weather when the bees are hibernating.

On the other hand my 5 year old granddaughter is very curious about them,... so after the bees calmed down we sat and watched them (from a safe distance), and talked about them, she knows they can sting and she too, wants me to let them stay. (her opinion is still out on catipillers)

Awesome! I'm glad you made the best decision for your household. I agree with you completely.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Flowering Shrub

lol, I hate it when people want to get rid of the so called pests in there yards, that's one of the reasons I prefer not to use pesticides........

The bugs are here for a reason....

I'd just wish someone would explain the reasons behind cockroaches, musquitos and fleas, lol
Old 10-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Flower Garden

cannot explain them except something to irritate us with
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Flower Garden

I'd leave them be since they aren't in a traffic area or right near the door to your house. Just avoid the area till they go dormant. Chances are they will move by next summer to a new nest depending on what type they are.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Sprout

Did you explain to your granddaughter that the caterpillars make butterflies? I remember my mom and son collecting dill worms. Everyday, they picked fresh dill for them till they cocooned(sp?) then he got to watch them hatch. He was fascinated!

As for the bees, I would leave them if you can. Yellow Jackets, Red Wasps, etc are toast around here but we leave the others alone as long as they leave us alone.
-->