Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the West > California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Sprout

new pond pics.

the old pond looked good but it didn't function well, the transition from the upper pond to the lower leaked sometimes and it was too small.

here's a pic. before---

and after---------

and few during construction ---

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Bush

great job just so peaceful its beautiful poo now i have pond envy no i will just come here to sit by yours i need a bench please
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Flower Garden

I loved it before but agree that the 'after' looks much more natural. Congratulations on a job well done.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Vegetable Garden

Great job! Looks really beautiful.... I wish I could get my hands on riverrocks...

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Tree

Beautiful! What a lot of work! But soooooo worth it! I thought it was great before, but the after is even more natural looking!

Now that the hard work is done, time to sit down, relax, and enjoy the result of your labor!!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Sprout

Thanks... lot of work but worth it
this pond is sooo much better... bigger, deeper. and best of all the stream runs!!!

Check out video -- turn the sound up ---> pond video
Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Bush

That's fantstic. Looks and sounds wonderful. I'll be the one sitting on the bench next to Pooh.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Sprout

it's not a bench but it is comfy.
My wife and i found these on the corner with a free sign on 'em. About an hours worth of work tightening everything up and touching up paint and TADA.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Acorn

Wow! You people are way beyond both my physical an financial capabilities. All I can do is look and say WOW!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Sprout

thanks .. i look at at it and say wow alot. ponds are fascinating to me ,i can sit and watch the fishes and listen to the water for hours.

i can tell you tho, it's a lot more time and work than money. All the plants i buy are small and i just wait for them to grow up. The rocks we've bought little by little over the last 10 years. For the pond i probably only bought about 25% of the rock , the rest i scrounged up from the yard.
The pond wasn't cheap, but for $600 i got : a 15X20 liner w/underlayment, the skimmer box, the waterfall box, filter media for both boxes, a 2500gph pump, 25' of 1.5" flex pipe and all the connections.
Everything else was labor.
Best part is i earned the money for the pond by a little landscaping for other people. i really didn't have the money to do the pond right now but someone needed some help redoing their yard. A friend and i fixed it up then someone saw that and asked if we could help them and then Yeah!! Ray has money to do his pond!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Tree

It does sound like so much work, but like I said before, very well worth it!!! How long do you expect this pond, and all the mechanisms to last? Is it super high maintenance, or once you get it set up, does it take care of itself?

Lastly, assuming that the trampoline is for the kids, how does that throw a wrench in the peaceful pond atmosphere?!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Very nice!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Tree

Beautiful pond and sitting area and all surroundings,

thank you so much for sharing,, sooo serene and peaceful, Blessings, Beth
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Sprout

Quote :
How long do you expect this pond, and all the mechanisms to last? Is it super high maintenance, or once you get it set up, does it take care of itself?

Lastly, assuming that the trampoline is for the kids, how does that throw a wrench in the peaceful pond atmosphere?!!!

the liner has a 20 year warranty so if i get 15, i'd be happy, the pump on the other hand, who knows? The first pump i got went out in less than a month.they gave me a new one but it makes me wonder how long this one will last. I was already thinking about a different pump, this one isn't as energy efficient as they said. Sometime in the future a smaller more efficient pump might be in the cards.

As far as maintenance it's not that bad. Once it's set up ,i add a little water every 4-5 days ,clean the skimmer and that's about it.
There was a learning curve i went thru with my other pond and things didn't go so well. It was just wrong spot for a pond ,not enough filtering , and then i killed everything by spraying ant spray too close to the pond.
Once i got it all figured out and set right ,it does pretty much take care of itself.

The trampoline, sigh , more than anything else it's in the way. We actually saved that 18' circle for the kids. There was a pool that would go up in the summer that fit there but the trampoline has taken it's place.
How i like to think about it is ,when that thing goes, that circle of virgin landscape is waiting for something.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Tree

I was just teasing you about the trampoline! Children pretty much disrupt 'peace and tranquility' just by the nature of all their excess energy! It's great that you have a place for them! And yes, wow, what a planting space when it eventually comes down!
-->