Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the West > California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to bridget aylward

Talkingmy new garden plans

ok, so..at the new place..the front yard is not huge..the front fence has waxleaf privet almost end to end..there's about 5 ft bare on the west end..in the east end there is a huge blue agave and many many pups..under the front window are irises and a yucca (tall leggy one not like the standard yucca I'll find the name)..there's a redbud near the garage..the north side of the yard is privacy fence the rest is all chainlink..there's few odd lil trees mixed in the border as well..the rest is 'grass' west side just other side of the wodden privacy fence is the mini orchard..there's a tangerine tree, a peach I think, grapevines and one other citrus tree..not sure what it is..this has a door opening into the garage..I figure to do a random patio here, with my lil pond/fountain a decent shade structure..at the far northwest corner is a huge cacti..it's a form of chollo cactus that will 'shoot' spines if disturbed..in the middle is Santa's garden patch..(didn't do so good for him, he made rows and I figure deep raised beds would be better for the climate/lack of water here..with drip irrigation), also back driveway and his pontoon boat that he's giving my husband (fixerupper job, needs work, free can't gripe)..the far east of the backyard si mostly shadey not very big..between the house, a privacy fence and some neighboring huge trees that send out roots that eventually turn into trees..(plan maybe a hot shade garden/herbs there/medicine wheel plan comes to mind with sunken clay pots to keep roots cool but contain plants..I figure the dogs will pretty much be kept in the front yard as we really can't trust them in the back (housedogs only out with supervision..so near the agave I want to do my xeriscape (also the back yard/garden area).[.now xeriscape does not mean strictly cacti..it means you choose plants for the environment that don't require vast amounts of water..and really there's a wide choice of nice plants]..and already got a head start with a very nice focal plant..maybe add some more yucca a few of the opuntias from this yard..I have 2 yuccas myself..maybe get some ice plant and small succulents and rocks. reduce the lawn in that area with a random border.oh yes must begin growing rocks..LOL anyone have any rock seeds or cuttings??
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

I got tons of river rock seeds for you and even some rooted teenage rocks..LOL All I have to do is dig in any place in my yard. My property is on a old river bed.

RR
-->