Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the West > California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to bridget aylward
yeah i heard that this morning..no shakers here but ya never know...
not damage here other than the leaks..a few leaves..looks like it's clearing up right now...should give all the plants a nice boost and make everything green until the leaves fall...nice!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Flower

Send a message via MSN to Patricia531 Send a message via Yahoo to Patricia531
I just had my husband help me lift my rod iron trellis
that went over. It was attached to a huge mandavilla vine. When that went over it took over another large plant in a clay pot and busted the pot, so I still need to go out and repot the plant and sweep up. I am glad neither of us had any serious damage. I always get nervous for my greenhouse, but it has held up to 60 mph winds a couple times so I guess it is pretty sturdy.

I hope you have a good day. I am off to start sewing doll clothes for my youngest granddaughters Christmas present.

Blessings,Patricia
Old 10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Blossom

man..I was just kidding about lost hikers and wouldn't you know it?..3 lost southern CA hikers in yosemite and they were prevented from air searches until this morning...figures..next time i'm just gonna keep my mouth shut..hope they find 'em and hope people figure it out..'do not go hiking in mountains when bad weather is forecast'/ kind of like..'don't take the rowboat out in a hurricanne', ...geez louise...
found an ebay source for the varigated brug i like and some varigated clivias..i'm gonna get in trouble on ebay..lol
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Flower

I am always getting trouble on Ebay. I love Clivia's too and have about 10 of them although 4 are yellow seedlings I grew . I also have a couple varigated one's and love the foligae. I was looking at them on Ebay the other day, but managed to refrain from buying which is unusual for me.

Sorry to hear about the hikers. Some people just never seem to get it. Put yourself in dangers way and it is likely to find you.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Blossom

ah well..only live once may as well have some clivias in your life..I ordered 3 --from an alternate website..the one I salvaged (well got 2 but trading one) is gonna be blooming soon I think,,,has those small flower stalks peeking out of the leaves now..the one I'm trading is younger but will bloom soon too...the nursery I used to work for was alsoa landscape co...and had some really nice plants and also some forgotten ones..
they aren't in business any longer..hope they liqudated the remaining plants and someone is caring for them..I got my huge leafed alocasia start there from a 'not for sale' subadult..leaves on that got almost 5 ft long!!!! mine just unfurled a new leaf after the storm!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Flower

I had one of the C. picotee's bloom last month and forgot to take a picture of it, it was it's first bloom. I also have one of the C. Cyrtanthiflora types bloom for the first time. I would love to buy some seeds but they are so expensive. I may break down next month and buy a couple. I love the variaged leaved clivia's and would like to obtain more of them because they are interesting even when not in bloom.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Blossom

heh i saw some seeds on amazon.com..not as expensive as ebay (some for 5.00?)...had some potted plants too....
Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Flower

Hmmmmmm maybe I will just have to go check it out . Do you have a yellow clivia?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Blossom

well, my DH will kill me most likely..but I ordered a yellow from Hirt's...figure maybe when it blooms I can cross it on my normal orange and in 6-8 years produce some yellows?? long time to wait..there are seeds but that's always a 'chance' on them being what they are marketed as, you know. maybe get seeds later and try them out as well and get a head start? Might go so far as to get varigated foilage...also looking at those white egret orchids..supposed to be super hardy and very interesting blooms..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Flower

I will have to check the orchid out. When I was heating the greenhouse I had bought about 60 cattalaya orchids because the orchid nursery was going out of business. But at $400 extra a month to heat the greenhouse, my husband put a stop to that right away so I gave all but one away. This one catallya that I kept blooms every summer even though it is in the cold greenhouse all winter. This year it had 4 blooms and is frangrant. I just love it, now I wish I hadn't given all the other's away.

I want to get one of the variaged clivia that has the pure white in the varigation all mine have either the yellow or a lighter shade of green.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Blossom

my clivia book has some from japan that are white and green..really pretty!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Sprout

greenhouse in CA

Hi I just read about your $400 bill to heat your greenhouse and was wondering how big of a space it was that your were needing to heat and what temp you were keeping it? Considering putting in a greenhouse so just looking for info. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Patricia531 View Post:
I will have to check the orchid out. When I was heating the greenhouse I had bought about 60 cattalaya orchids because the orchid nursery was going out of business. But at $400 extra a month to heat the greenhouse, my husband put a stop to that right away so I gave all but one away. This one catallya that I kept blooms every summer even though it is in the cold greenhouse all winter. This year it had 4 blooms and is frangrant. I just love it, now I wish I hadn't given all the other's away.

I want to get one of the variaged clivia that has the pure white in the varigation all mine have either the yellow or a lighter shade of green.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Flower

My greenhouse is only 10 x 14. I was only trying to keep it around 45 degree's.

In the winter we have many nights between 28 and 33 degree's, actually it is suppose to get down around 32 tonight.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Sprout

Oh ok. I was curious because I have a small pond area that is about the same size as your greenhouse that we cover with clear plastic every winter in Stockton. There are some tender tropicals in there and it always is very warm and never seems to need extra heating in there. I am wanting to get a greenhouse but I did not consider having to do any extra heating of it (just possible cooling in summer). I have read that having a body of water that can hold in and radiate heat is beneficial to keeping an area warmer during winter. I think this has alot to do with why our pond area stays so warm in winter without the additional heat. If you have room you might want to try putting a water feature of some sort in your greenhouse to see if it helps keep your greenhouse a bit warmer. It should also keep your area cooler and better humidified in summer as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Flower

I do have 5 gallon paint buckets of water stacked three high on each side ends of the greenhouse that I keep have a shelve across, it does seem to help it from dipping below freezing. I don't have room to put a water feature in there, I sure wish I did.
-->