LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Flower

Send a message via MSN to Patricia531 Send a message via Yahoo to Patricia531
What brug. to you have now Bridget?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to bridget aylward
don't have one now thanks to the dogs..saw a huge yellow one a couple blocks away so i know they do great when not pulled up by insane dogs...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Sprout

Irises, did someone say irises

Originally Posted by bridget aylward View Post:
ues it gets plenty hot and a nice yard is a challenge when we spends 'months' in excess of 100..tropicals do great and cacti of course..
I think my favs are hollyhocks, roses, datura/brugmansia (would you believe I do not have 1?)had purple people eaters until my boxer , who has moved away, decided she liked emptying pots (also did in a red maple I was bonsai'ing), Irises, Irises, and did i mention irises? , daylilies..:P
bottlebush, potato tree, wisteria!! and pond plants..:P
Hi Bridget:

Welcome aboard. I'm up in Fort Bragg on the Mendocino Coast. What kind of Irises do you have, bearded or non? Irises are one of my favorite flowers along with Dahlias and Begonias.

Regards,
Chuck aka Seasoned Warrior
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Blossom

bearded and louisiana
man... dahlias..my neighbor across the street has a gorgeous purple..LOL..haven't tried them myself. But from the looks of hers, they must like Fresno.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Flower

I love Iris's too, in fact I just picked up three new one's at the nursery today.
Having grown up in Oregon on the coast, my mom grew a lot of Dahlia's and I just love them, I just don't have much room to grow them with all my brugs.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Blossom

hey looks like we may get some rain here..looking forward to that..think summer is over..for a few weeks anyway, LOL!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Flower

I am suspecting that summer is over. I am actually looking forward to this rain, but they say we might have wind with it, so Monday I will be working all day moving all the tall brugs. that I already have potted up into the greenhouse, otherwise they will be laying on the ground. I am hoping we continue to have a mild Fall. I still have most of my big brugs. in the ground.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Blossom

yep..setting up my portable greenhouse monday too (made from those easy up canopy frames and heavy clear shower curtains and lattice)..works ok and easy to do and cheap...doesn't get cold here very long at a time so everything should be fine..just have the usual Cali winds to deal with and tieing down works well for that..
Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Flower

Now they are saying next week we will be in the low 80's again. Are they forcasting heavy winds for your area? If so you might want to wait until after the storm to put up your greenhouse.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Blossom

winds will be 20 mph gusts out of ESE..my house is in the way from where I set my canopy greenhouse..I tied it to the chainlink fence ..may loose a tarp or plastic is all...

funny forecasts and weather warnings..ok, i understand the snow warnings for higher elevations, the high winds for the valleys and grapevine areas....but do they really have to warn people not to plan a hiking trip when there is snow forecast? guess so." gee it's going to snow up at Shaver Lake, let's just drive our lil car up there and go hiking...ok..bring a sweater it might get cold..." {next update..2 hikers lost near Shaver Lake wearing only shorts and sweaters, expecting 14 inches of snow by morning, ranger and sheriff helicopters cannot fly in the blizzard and winds we forecast yesterday..}and it is raining..so I expect many cars in my way when I go to work..*sigh*..being from a wet environment now living in a parched land it frustrates me to drive now..and I used to love driving LOL

common sense....if it's so common why don't more people have it? No, I am not going to the mountains ...LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Flower

Your would sure think people would use their brains wouldn't you.

Here it is windy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think we have gotten all that much rain either, but we never get as much as the rest of the Bay area.
They are saying it will be at it's worst between noon and midnight here.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Blossom

raining steady here..not real bad, but we've likely gotten 1/2 inch already..*this is a lot for deserts so don't scoff you wet weatehr people..LOL*..supposed to rain til morning..so that will be good for the drought areas but not for the mudslide inclined areas or for the poor drivers who's only wet pavement experience is leaving the carwash.....i only plan to go to work and back home..no highways..:P
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Flower

We are having steady very heavy rain. I had to get on the freeway for a bit this morning and it was not fun at all. The trucks were throwing up so much water, I could verily make out the lanes.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Blossom

well..someone decided they were cold, had a fire and wound up spreading to a power pole..so I was without power until midnite..it did not get cold either..it was in the 70's when the fire was started..so yeah..oh...and, lovely..my roof leaked in 3 places..so gonna be on phone w/insurance i guess....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Flower

Ohh what a bummer ! Besides the storm that did a little but not much damage in my yard, we had a earthquake last night. It was only a 3.9 but sure gave us a jolt. Makes you a little nervous when you go to bed haha.
-->