Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > North Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Flower Garden

TalkingSnoo!

Hooray!! There is at least a very good chance that we'll get snow by tomorrow evening! Y'all probably think I'm crazy, and i am, but I love snow and I'm sick of rain, it's coming from the gulf so that means its just about a dome deal for us to get snow! Don't want an ice storm but a good deep snow would be fabulous! Llalalalalalalal snow lalalalalalalalalal
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Flower

Talking

Tess,
You can have all that crap you want!!
Just keep it on the South side of the Va border.
cliff

my photo bucket pics file:///C:/Users/cliff/Documents/Dizzy%204%20Tizzys.htm?page=1
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Blossom

I do not mind the snow but the cold wind chill we have had with it......Well I could do without that. -16 and colder with wind chill factor nooooo I will pass.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Flower Garden

Well to me it's just not winter without some snow, besides my old butt still loves to sled with the kids, lol, now don't get me wrong, I royally pay for it. If I can't sled some good snowball fights will do. Hey callan, which part of VA. Are you in?

Bzmom, its usually colder here without snow and the wind chill gets very low at times, were just about always affected by wind chill from Oct thru about the end of April. Reckon our weather probably strange to you unless you've ever lived in w.NC, have ya?
I don't think our wind chill here has hit that low but -5 or so is pretty common, future up toward NC/TN border the wind chill goes that low and in some places lower.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Flowering Shrub

Why on earth would you wish for snow? Enjoy it I guess lol
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Flower Garden

I love it too, if you are in a place that gets cold in winter at least have some nice snow to go along with it! I hate rainy cold wet weather. But how beautiful is sunshine or a full moon on new snow!

Besides there is nothing better for plants that need the cold in winter, with a nice thick covering of snow they are protected from the worst of the weather and come spring thaw the water seeps nice and slow into the soil giving them the needed water for a good start.

Give me a good three to four feet of it right thru winter and I'm happy
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Flower Garden

Well, I just love snow. To play in it, to be able to see everything covered in a peaceful, solemn, and sometimes esoteric sights. It gives a whole new feel to the world for me.

Tired of cold rain, fog and mud. It's finally stopped raining and the snow has started to fall, it probably won't last long cause of the ground being so wet. We are bad to get ice storms here, they are awful and cause tremendous damage. The morning will be interesting for those driving to work cause there will be black ice under the snow. Maybe on top of it too. I just want some snow, cause I'm a big kid.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Tree

Nothing wrong with wanting snow. I dont get to see it as much now as I did when I was a kid. Loved it when I was a kid back in OK, only bad part was walking to school in several feet of snow.

We had a light snow fall here in S. TX once several years back. It started snowing on christmas eve at midnight we knew it wouldnt last long, so being a couple of big kids ourselves we bundled up & went outside @ midnight and built a snowman.
The next morning we went to collect sand dollars on the west end of the island, It was cool watching the snow blowing on the beachfront like blow sand does. The colder the better to find sand dollars btw, once we brought home a dozen of them.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Bush

Cathy, neat about the sand dollars. I never knew that.
I have to agree, snow is beautiful to look at and sometimes play in, but overall I'd just as soon do with out it! I too would rather have lots all at one time than just a little every few days. One year we got lots and my neighbors got skis for Christmas. How much fun we had watching them try to learn how to use them! I don't think they could have gotten more black and blue.

When I was in my 20's, all of us neighborhood "kids" and some of the adults decided to red neck sled ride. We got big ol inner tubes out of tractor tires and pulled one another around on them with the 4 wheeler. We built a big brush fire and took time to build an actual track down a really steep hill and would pile 4 or 5 of us on the tubes and fly down that thing. Well it got pretty slick and eventually we had two people in the creek at the bottom. Man you shoulda seen their faces.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Bush

ive only seen it snow once and out of all places it was in the desert of apple valley CA...It was one of the most beautiful things i remember
it wasnt very much enough to play tho for at least few hours ...
snow reminds me of edward scissors hands .idk for some reason.yea ima weirdo...
hope u get ur snow wish tess!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks peanut, we got a dab before the winds got high and took it over the other side of the mountain, it didn't last but a few minutes or so on the ground, the wet mud hadn't had time to really freeze. That storm moved really fast. We had rain 3-4 days before the storm and as it started our way the rains became very heavy with hardly any let up. Lots of washed out roads, mudslides and flooding. Black ice this morning prevented the school buses from running so no school. The wind saw very strong, and howling around my house last night. Hopefully we will get a good snow on the next storm.

Cindy, you were talking about sledding in the inter tubes, we've done that too, great fun. We have a portion of the pasture that is a straight downhill speed rush but the creek cuts across the bottom of it right before one of the gates. Lol, we "kids" and our kids sled it every time there's enough snow to do so and have a race/contest to see who can make it over the buried pipe (giant culvert pipe) that carries the water under the " sod bridge" to the gate. Many creek entries have happened and injuries to but the pure unadulterated fun that it brings is an adrenalin high, lol. It's quite funny to see a know it all "kid" that wont take advice end up taking a frigid bath in the creek head first.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to travart83
I think I got all of your snow and ice, we ended up with 5 inches of ice and 12 inches of heavy wet snow on top of it, I will have to post some pics, it was absolutely beautiful until the power went out, haha.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Flower Garden

Lol, trav, sorry your power went out and yes it sounds like you got our snow. You in western VA? Its been a long while since I was in VA but the state line is about 4 hours from here.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to travart83
yup far west, I am actually about 300 yards from kentucky and 400 yards from tennessee haha
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc
Did you get the snow, Tess? Snow was never fun for me, because of where I grew up. I grew up in the Appalachian Mnts, on the edge of TN/NC. When we had snow, it was horrible to drive up the mountain to get to our home, which was at the top. The slope was bad, and we usually had to walk all the way up. At 5 years old walking a half mile uphill just to get home, the magic of snow was lost quickly....you can have all you want, though!
-->