Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > North Carolina

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Acorn

NC near I-95, NC exit 10, Lumberton area

I have a very large gardening area here. 3+ acres.
It is the old family homestead of my hubby's family.
I have many old plants here, that had been overgrown, and untended for 20 plus years. I have spent the last 4 years cleaning it up, and adding to it.
I would like to invite anyone who has an interest, the chance to come and take cuttings or bulb / rooted pieces, from the things I have here.
I have alot of wetland plants, various vining flowers, Roses ( bush and rambling),
and many flowering perienials.
To name a few,
Pink Wood Sorrel, Bloodroot, Purple Wysteria, Carolina (rebel type) Jasimiene,
Red trumpet vines, Rose of Sharon ( purple and white), "Seven Sisters" Roses, Hydregiania, Azaliea (large white, and dark pink), and some things I have yet to identify.
I also have wild plums, Red Flowering Buckeye, Pomigrante, older types of pear, apple, muscidine grapes, and blackberries.
Crepe myrtle, Sasefrase (sp?), and marmiosa trees.
American Beauty Berry Bush, Button Bush.
Cattails, devils wand/ lizard's tail.

I would love to let peple come get startings from any of this, plus more that I have yet to identify....lol.

I love gardening, and sharing my plants. I don't know of any exchanges near here, but if anyone wants to bring a cooler or 3, and gather some planta or cuttings from here, I am open to that.
I would love to have someone bring pieces from anything they have, or seeds, to exchange, but it is not a must.
First time, or beginner gardeners are also welcome to just come and collect here.

Just thought I wouls share some of all I have here.
Brenda
Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Thumbs up

That sounds like a very generous offer!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Flower Garden

Sure wish I lived close to you!! Thats wonderful of you.
Deb
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Acorn

I have saved seeds, and rooted plants from here for the hubby's family for 4 years now. Everytime I see one of them, someone "wants some of Mamma's.." or "want's some of granma's..."
They have all ended up planted in my yard.
I would just love to share with someone who will use and enjoy them.

I have no problem mailing things, but I don't have money for postage.
If anyone wants to send me postage, I can send boxes full of cuttings I have rooted, or ones for them to root.
It will all be seasonal of course.

I have to clean up and clear out alot of "untended and overgrown" plants here still. I so hate to just throw them on a burn pile, knowing someone else could be enjoying them.

Deb..I Sooooo love your hummer icon!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Blade of Grass

If I lived closer I'd be at your door with a semi, lol. PM me with cost of postage, please.
Rosyposy
Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Flower Garden

Thank you. I love to watch the hummers here at my house and when I saw that icon as an option of course I chose it. I am very interested in anything you can send me. I will pm you about postage and an address. Your way generous with your plants. I have learned from other gardeners in my area that they love to share their plants. And in turn, as a way of pay back, when I get the chance I will surely share mine with someone also. Kind of paying it forward. I just started gardening seriously last year but I still ended up with lots of plants that I didnt have to buy because of the generousity of some people who live here in my neck of the woods. I so very much appreciated their kindness and have told them that I did. But still feel the need to give back too. So if anyone stops by this summer to admire my yard, they will be welcome to whatever I have to share with them. I think gardeners are the most wonderful people in the world!!!!
Deb
Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Acorn

I agree Deb,
I lived as a military spose for 18 years, moving all the time. I would get plants from others, and pass them on when we moved.
I always made the yards nice, with low care plants and borders, for the next people to enjoy.
I am thrilled to be settled in somewhere, "for good".
I have always known the only way to re-pay the kindness of others all those years, is to share now.

I'll keep my eye open for those semi's coming thru...lol.
Not sure if I could fill one, but I could dent it, and send you down the road to a few other old places near here...lol.
Brenda
Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Flower Garden

Be careful what you say LOL

Be careful about those semis Brenda. It just so happens that my husband and I own 2 of them. We could be rolling in there in them. LOL Just kidding, I wouldnt do that to ya But one is on the way to South Carolina. LOL
Deb

Last edited by dkline; 03-09-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added another comment
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Acorn

Brenda,

Would you PM me with postage costs? I live in Wake Forest, NC.

It's a bit of a hike to come down your way, but for that kind of offer I might need to take a little road trip! I'm trying to get a garden started with my new (first!) house. The front yard is ok.....but the back yard is essentially starting with nothing.

Ashley
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Brenda Welcome! It's great to have you with us.
I'm not too far from your area,
hubby and I live about 30 miles south of Wilmington, on the coast.

It looks like you and I must have very similar growing conditions,
and we are growing many of the same plants.
Your place sounds marvelous!
I've been adding the "old-fashioned" plants to my yard for some 20 years,
many of which I "rescued" from local construction sites.
In this area, so many older homesteads are being torn down to build new houses,
it just breaks my heart to see those wonderful old plantings bulldozed,
so I've grabbed a few, whenever I had the chance.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Acorn

Hey Deb,
If you go thru on Interstate 95, I am only about a mile off of exit 10. You could swing in and get you a bunch of stuff.
I should have some new things rooted here by May. And anything needing to be taken by digging, would be good then to.

Ashley,
I am just going to put the postage on here, because I am getting alot of mail requests.
I use the flate rate boxes, and they run about 9 dollars and some change.
I stuff them full, and it it holds alot of plants.
I wrap them in damp towels, and then in a plastic bag.
I have been successful getting things to family in California like that, so anything closer should not be a problem.

Zuzu,
I may be the one who spot fishes in your back yard there..lol.
We love to go to Kure Bech each year, but also go up and down the coast, from Wilmington to SC.
I love that area.
I have always wanted those pink palmettos in my yard, but still have none.

I rescue from old homesteads here also. There are so many places near here, where the house has fallen down, or burned, and the area is filled with flowers still. I am getting ready to gather some english ivy from down the road this year..it is so overgrown there.

I will have to PM you this summer, when we get ready to make a beach trip, and bring you along some pretties to add to your yard.
Brenda
Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Flower

Are you still offering plants for postage? Would the plants have roots? I'm not really that good at starting some of them. I have no idea on how to start some plants because I have never had them before. Unless there is someone who could give me some good advice.
If you are still offering them, I would love starts of everything except these,
Bloodroot
Trumpet Vine
Purple Rose of Sharon
Buckeye
Sasefrasse
Cattails
I have alot of these already.
LMN if you can do this or not.
Deb
Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Tree

I too just found your original post. Are you still sending for postage? I would love some rambling roses and would you by any chance have any peonies? You are so very generous and truly have the gardening heart-sharing natures beauty!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K
Hello bgchavis, I live in Lumber Bridge and you are not very far from me.Please send me a PM to give me directions and when would be best for you to have me stop by. Thanks you are a god-send. Happy Gardening!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Acorn

Brenda,

I am not far and would love to come down one weekend. My husband has just built me my first flower bed (we move so much I've never had one before!) and I want to fill it up! I wish I had something to offer in return... Send me a PM and with directions and when I can stop by. Thanks so much for your generosity!

Barb
Closed Thread
-->