Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Sprout

QuestionWild, everblooming rose?

Hi. I'm looking for a wild, ever-blooming rose to grow in Mi. Is there such a thing? lol. I have a wild rose that is just multiplying like crazy in my yard, but it is a once-bloomer. I would like a wild ever bloomer specifically because it propagates well and the wild roses have such a beautiful fragrance. Just the few I got this year filled my yard with the scent. I can hardly wait until next year when I surely will have many more roses to enjoy.

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Flower Garden

First of all, most wild roses bloom for only about two weeks each year, so the idea of an everbloomer doesn't apply to true wild rose. That’s great if you happen to be there, but if you miss it, you’ll have to wait a whole year for more. Several hybrids have been developed, including the one actually named “Nearly Wild” all offer the loveliness and low-maintenance of wild roses with the added qualities of incredible cold hardiness plus the magic of repeat bloom. To the purist, these are not true “wildflowers”, but for most wildgardeners, they’re a miracle. And in any wildflower meadow, they easily hold center stage whenever they’re in bloom. From: AmericanMeadows.com
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Sprout

Thank you for your response. I have seen the nearly wilds but didn't do any reading on them.

Happy Gardening!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Bush

Prairie wild roses come close to your description - they bloom about 6 weeks a year and are super cold-hardy. The species in question is Rosa arkansana.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

we have wild roses that grow down by the river here that bloom a good portion of the summer..several weeks. They are extremely hardy to cold, scortching sun, and drought. And very pretty.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Flower Garden

Originally Posted by lorax View Post:
Prairie wild roses come close to your description - they bloom about 6 weeks a year and are super cold-hardy. The species in question is Rosa arkansana.
I have some seeds for the Prarie Wild rose that are being cold stratified now. They are in month 2 of 3. Have you--or anybody else for that matter--grown them from seed?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Bush

I used to end up growing them from seed by accident - they'd sprout up wherever the hips fell. About 4 months of cold-strat is supposed to be necessary, and after that they come up and grow like the vigorous stinky weeds that they are. I've never tried it on purpose.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Flower

rosa rugosa

try a rosa rugosa, it is a species rose, an everbloomer, has a heavy spring show, and produces big red juicy edible rose hips that are quite tasty,
about the size of a crabapple to a large grape, the flavor is superb
something like a tart apple when ripe, a great choice, hardy hardy hardy,
and a prickly booger too, i love the fruit in autumn it gets very sweet,
but if you should choose not to eat it it makes great winter decoration too.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Flower

the wild roses,in Kansas bloom like crazy,that depends on rainy weather,some yrs do some yrs not,they are fragrant,but only last a short while,like my Rose in garden,don't know name,abundant many petaled flowers,beautiful pink and fragrant,by my bedroom,in the morn,when window open,the smell was wonderful.Its at other house amd haven't got any cuttings for here yet.

The rose hip juice,when cooked in little water,is good for colic in babies,used to make own in England,although sold in stores,and now in stores here.

Sylv
Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by Jeff Frye View Post:
try a rosa rugosa, it is a species rose, an everbloomer, has a heavy spring show, and produces big red juicy edible rose hips that are quite tasty,
about the size of a crabapple to a large grape, the flavor is superb
something like a tart apple when ripe, a great choice, hardy hardy hardy,
and a prickly booger too, i love the fruit in autumn it gets very sweet,
but if you should choose not to eat it it makes great winter decoration too.
Thank you! I just ordered some of those, along with Fairy Pinks (the blooms are small, but they have many on one stem and do begin blooming in the spring until frost). Also I have planted a few Knockouts and am also getting the Josephs Coat climber.

I hesitated on the rugosa because I read it is prone to blackspot and disease; but after reading your recommendation I decided to go for it. The plants are 3/5.00 where I ordered them so even if they do pucker out on me I didn't lose much. I can hardly wait to try the rose hips! They sound wonderful and much larger than I would have thought! Already I'm thinking of making a salad and have my friends taste it. Of course, not tell them until AFTER they have eaten the fruit....
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by BarefootGardener View Post:
First of all, most wild roses bloom for only about two weeks each year, so the idea of an everbloomer doesn't apply to true wild rose. That’s great if you happen to be there, but if you miss it, you’ll have to wait a whole year for more. Several hybrids have been developed, including the one actually named “Nearly Wild” all offer the loveliness and low-maintenance of wild roses with the added qualities of incredible cold hardiness plus the magic of repeat bloom. To the purist, these are not true “wildflowers”, but for most wildgardeners, they’re a miracle. And in any wildflower meadow, they easily hold center stage whenever they’re in bloom. From: AmericanMeadows.com
Thank you barefoot! I'm very much interested in the hybrids because they last longer and the care is minimal. If I have to pamper a plant it surely will die in my care. I'm great with plants you just put in the ground and water once a week or so, but beyond that I can't get them to last too long.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by lorax View Post:
Cool. Thank you Lorax!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post:
we have wild roses that grow down by the river here that bloom a good portion of the summer..several weeks. They are extremely hardy to cold, scortching sun, and drought. And very pretty.
They sound heavenly!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Sprout

Originally Posted by deedee View Post:
the wild roses,in Kansas bloom like crazy,that depends on rainy weather,some yrs do some yrs not,they are fragrant,but only last a short while,like my Rose in garden,don't know name,abundant many petaled flowers,beautiful pink and fragrant,by my bedroom,in the morn,when window open,the smell was wonderful.Its at other house amd haven't got any cuttings for here yet.

The rose hip juice,when cooked in little water,is good for colic in babies,used to make own in England,although sold in stores,and now in stores here.

Sylv
Does it happen to work on colicky adults too?

mmmm can almost smell them now. OOO, I can hardly wait for them to begin blooming! So far my knockouts have buds but no flowers yet. I have some parade roses that I got a bargain on from a clearance section and they are beginning to bud. Can you believe a buck each?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Sprout

Soon the city will be tearing down the house next door, and I will have a bigger lot for my roses and other flowers.
-->