Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Flower Garden

My ponds

Finally got all the ponds cleaned out and filled yesterday. That took forever. Cleaned the top 2 and then the last one had some holes in it so that had to be patched. I filled the top 2 with water while I was working on the last one and they filled back up with leaves again. Very disapointing (SP). I found several holes in the last pond that needed patched. I'm thinking before this year is out or the beginning of next year we are going to need a new liner. I am going to let them circulate for a few days, probably until Thursday or Friday, then the fish are going in. I cant wait for that!!! Those fish are like my outside babies. This is the first ones that we have successfully over wintered. We put them in a large watering trough in the garage for the winter. I was out there in below zero weather this winter checking to make sure they were not freezing up in their tank. Last year we finally got koi babies in our pond. There was a whole bunch of them in the pond but only 5 made it so they were brought into the house for the winter. A few weeks ago we lost one of them. Now we have 4 babies left. In the garage theres 2 koi and one butterfly koi, they are over a foot long. Plus another butterfly koi thats smaller and a shibunkin (sp?) plus lots of goldfish. We do have some of the original goldfish that went in the first year of the ponds. They are probably about 4 years old now. And very big. LOL They have LOTS of babies every year. This year I think I"m going to give the extras to the pet store. We always get too many of those. Now that I have the ponds going I can start cleaning the yard. Lots of leaves to clean up and waiting on my free mulch from the tree company so I can spread it.
Now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ducks. If or when they come again I"m going to take more pictures of them. They have came here every year for many years also. Even before the ponds were here. They came to swim in the pool then when we put the ponds in, they decided they liked that better. LOL It's going to be a while before everything here is set right from the fall and winter but I'm anxious for it all to be done. Then I can get all my decorations out and furniture. I want to get all this done before the end of May so I wont have to worry about that while I'm planting my new bed. Geez I got big plans LOL One thing at a time huh? There will be a delay in progress this weekend because its supposed to get cold and snow. Oh well, it cant last long!! And I'm hoping it wont harm any of my plants.
Have fun everyone!!
Deb
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Flowering Shrub

I've almost got my pond completely set up...

This weekend my son helped me put the oversized tropicals out by the pond. We set the pots in holes and cover to surface then mulch. Some weigh well over two hundred with the ceramic bowls. My house is so barren now-but I think I like the space!!!
My blackeyed susan vines, malvia vines and canary climbers are all starting to grow from the cement walls around the pond. My japanese maple came back for the second year (yeah!). I have my plants (callas, iris)in the top basin with rock and I just placed my pot in the center of the pond on cinder block. I have some multi colored cannas my daughter got me so I'll put them in there. The cattail are up. I have two African bullfrog polliwogs. Two toads have made the pond home and sing to me in the evenings. A good colony of snails have made the upper basin home so the rocks are super clean up there. I still need to get a few plecos and more fish. Most of the goldfish died-I'm not really sure why unless they just shocked from the transplant. Of forty I think I have ten left-if that.
I think I'm going to stain some more cinderblocks black and place them in the pond for the fish and maybe place some more planters on them. I planted my caladiums today and a few extra lillies my daughter gave me. Maybe tomorrow I'll start dividing the decorative grasses and place them here and there-maybe a few on the waterfall and a few on the inside ledge in pots. I'll see how artsy my creative bone feels tomorrow.
Today I'm tired-Good night!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
Whew!
I was thinking about putting in a pond in the future , but you folks have me tired just reading about all the work involved. Might be a little too much to do at my age.
I have seen some beautiful water gardens in my travels and I can just picture yours as you describe them. I was told by a friend that there are too many oak tree roots on my property to install a plastic liner type pool. He said that he has seen a lot of pools fail because of root punctures. Using a concrete liner is just too expensive at this time of my life to attempt.
I have entertained the idea of burying a round 1200 gallon poly stock tank in the yard and using a fountain type filter centered in it.My next problem then would be making sure that there was a way to incorporate a ledge of some type for any animals to utilize if they were to fall in. I would'nt want to find a neighbors cat,dog,or even worse a small child in it . Any suggestions ?
Bill
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Flowering Shrub

I have my concrete graded soit is only about a foot and a half deep at one end and three feet plus at the other. The neighborhood dogs can't get out but they won't drown waiting for help. The wall of the pond is over eighteen inches above ground to keep small children from falling in. Then I put cinderblocks stained black on their sides so the holes face the sky and I plants flowers in them. It would need to be deliberate to get in, even for the dog-which happens in the drought season. The cats prefer to climb the rock pile to the top small basin and drink from there. Its only about 10 inches deep up there. Thats where the wild critters tend to go also. Only the retrievers are dumb enough to jump in-but we still love them (she says through clenched teeth )
You could always submerge a step to allow for animals to get out. The problem is the small children. They will not know to swim to the shallow area. Therefore, you have to make it kid proof-either in a fenced yard or with a ledge like I have. My pond is in my front yard. It is a serious responsibility. My hubby wanted to skip pouring the ledge because he was so tired of the ordeal of it (there are a lot of steps to a successful pond). I don't think he fathomed the entirety of it when we started. I had done my homework though and knew what I had to do and I wanted it enough to take the time needed. I would say that if you think it would be nice but only as an addition to your yard-find something small in a kit. That way you can see if you're up to the challenge of something bigger and more expensive. It does take alot of upkeep and it is addictive when you succeed. This has been my experience with it-but I'd do it all over again.
Hope it helps
-Donna
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Flower Garden

pond

We started with one pond. Its about 2 ft deep on one side, the middle is very shallow, and the other side is maybe a foot and a half deep. We just wanted to try it and see what happened. Well, the next summer we put in 2 more and if we can afford to rent equipment this summer we are going to put in another one. The last one we put in is probably 3 ft deep but most of it is above ground. A small child would really have to try and get in it. Its surrounded by rail road ties and they are over 3 ft high. We have had our ponds for over 3 years now and no incident of anyone (other than me) falling in. I know there was a raccoon around it lately but I havent found any small animals in it either. But there is a ledge, so if one would fall in they could get out. I know its alot of work but once they are set up and going good they are also lots of enjoyment. I would do it again and will if we can afford it this summer. LOL Right now they are all connected but the new one would be solitary. We are planning on putting it around the weeping willow tree. I think it would look really good there. My brother has a pond also but he has the preformed one. All you need is the hole in the ground and to add your pump and filter.
Deb
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Tree

I put a small preformed plastic pond in last summer (because I got it at a yard sale for $20 rocks included) and I do love it. I have one lilly, 4 fish and I am enjoying planting around the outside of it. This size is a little bit of work but is quite enjoyable in the evenings listening to the fountain. The only down side is it's size. Because it is so small I have to restrain myself from getting too much to put into it.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Flowering Shrub

Now that's a deal-

How big is it? Are the rocks it came with slate for the sides? That slate is so expensive but sure is a beautiful addition. My SIL has a beautiful pond that is made from a liner. It took years for her to establish but now is virtually maintenance free.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Blossom

Thanks guys

Without realizing it you have saved me a lot of work. I didn't think about having to have a fence in order to have a pond. Now, I have an excuse not to have a pond...but I may put in a small water fall on the side of my house.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails

LightbulbMaybe another to-do list

As most everybody knows,here in N. C. Fl. we have absolutely flat landscape in our area. A raised pond looks just too artificial with the rest of the landscape. That leaves me with the options of flush with the grade only.Also we are rock poor in the area.Stone here is as scarce as hens teeth.
My plate is full this year for projects,but maybe I'll start a new to-do list for next year starting with a pool design that I will be able to incorporate into the landscape.
A few people I know of put in the small kit pools and had problems with overheating in our 100 degree temps and the shallow ponds. That is another thing that I will have to be wary of. If I use the 12' diameter stock tank it would be 32" deep,so along with the aeration, might be Ok.
Thank you all for the input,
Bill
Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Tree

I didn't think about the heat - I think a small pond like I have would be a disaster in your florida sun and heat.

As for my deal - some of the rocks were slate and others were just a large assortment of large stones - perhaps when I get the camera out I can take some pictures and put it in my album (when I get that done). I do want this pond to be a work in progress so there will always be things I can add to the plantings.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Flowering Shrub

"Stone here is as scarce as hens teeth."
Wow that's pretty scarce Bill.

I admire your determination to make a greenhouse. That's a project I have yet to endeavor. The pond was a work of love and homesickness because I miss the Great Lakes of Michigan and all the beautiful multicolored rocks, and the sound of tinkling water eager to join the vast congregation. The pond is definitely not massive-but I do have the beautiful rocks-carried in my trunk and three separate trips from Michigan, and I also have the sound. This has been my source of comfort in my new home. I hope I don't get as homesick when we move to Australia but, knowing me, I will need to have my environment reflect something of the comforts of familiarity to me. Perhaps I will have a mural made for my living room from a picture of my garden in the USA. We'll see. It's funny how much we humans are creatures of habit-especially as we get a little older.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Flowering Shrub

I need help with my pond. I made it last year. It is kind of small. No fish yet. I have lights and fountain with filter on it. After the first rain, the water turned black. How can I keep it clear. Will putting fish in it help? I want to be able to see the fish when I do put some in and see the lights. If any one knows how to help me please feel free to tell me what to do.
Thanks Mary
Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Flower Garden

How long has it stayed that way after the rain? My gets a little muddled up after a rain but it doesnt stay that way for long. I'm wondering if your filter system is big enough? Or if it is filtering properly? That's all I can think of that would cause that. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.
Deb

Tags
ponds
-->

« - | stormy weather »