Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Acorn

Hello out there.....anyone on here from Michigan?

Hi, I'm from Livonia, MI. ☺
Old 06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Sprout

I'm from Michigan also!

Well, howdy fellow Michiganders! I am not from Livonia, but from SE Michigan, specifically Monroe about 20 minutes from the Toledo, Ohio border.

I do have a flower bed outside but with all of this rain I can see the plants blooming but I can't get in there until it dries out some to get those weeds out!

My indoor plants include African Violets/Gesneriads, and a rather eclectic assortment of house plants.

Glad to meet others from Michigan! Rosie/sewandplant
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Acorn

Hello!! Im a long ways from both of you, up in the UP in DeTour ( its as east as you can go) i can see Canada across the water�� so im guessing there isnt many Michiganders on here hey? I have a ton of houseplants, but we just moved so im working on my flower and herb gardens. We always have a huge ( acre or so ) garden for canning and freezing, but when we bought this house it came complete with 6 acres of forest, and no open spaces, so this is my first year without veggies the new garden will be right out on the point, where it will be basking in the sunlight all day, and plenty of natural water from the lakes.. Cant wait!!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Sprout

Hi Shay!

Hi Shay! Nice to meet you! Wow you are far from me! Do you grow African Violets? They are my favorite. I have a lot of other houseplants also.

Your property sounds awesome with all those woods. Neat! But I know what you mean about no garden.

I would just love to keep my flower bed weeded. We had so much rain for about a week and 1/2 nothing dried enough to cut grass or weed!

We have 5 acres with some old outbuildings and a huge barn! Our house is an old farmhouse built in the 1800's.

Well it was nice to make your acquaintance! Rosie
Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Acorn

It is a very nice property, but were farmers, but its a wee bit wooded for animals, so i had to sell 7 goats, 80 chickens, the cows and pigs. All i have right now are meat rabbits, so thats a little tough. I do have african violets, because they were my grandmas favorites! I also have a lot of pothos, spider plants, ivys, zz plants, bamboo, christmas cactuses, aloes, a beautiful 6 foot ficus that was a sproutling when i got her, and a lot of plants that i have no idea what they are, i just buy them from walmart as "house plants" Its a more the merrier kind of thing over here! I know you probably dont think so, but it hasnt rained here in almost a month, so I'm jealous of your abundance of water... Im pretty sick of hauling buckets up from the lakes ( well, lake huron, superior and the st. Marys river all meet up here, i live right on the detour shipping channel) i would love a good stormy day, or three!!
Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Sprout

Hi! What's happening with this forum? Not many visitors.

Michigan here, Detroit area. I'm looking for some plant exchanges this fall.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Sprout

More in Michigan!

Hi Wild Rose! I am in Monroe, Mi. Near Ohio border. Nice to meet you!

I am spending time getting my plants in off the deck before the weather turns too cold.

I am mainly interested in African Violets for indoors although I do have a lot of other houseplants!

Have some outdoor plants that I am potting up for container growing. Open ground is just to labor intensive for weeds! Rosie
Old 09-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Sprout

I am in Ecorse, Mi and I missed the plant exchange this morning at the Heritage Papers! ugh.

I don't do too well with houseplants, though some are still alive and that's about all I can say. lolol. I have many outdoor plants and I'm trying to collect some natives now. On my list are Nuttall's Pussytoes (they are said to bloom from May to September), milkweed, etc.

Nice to meet you! Ya, the weeding--ugh. but it is nice to be outside.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Sprout

I know where Ecorse is!!!!!

You are in Ecorse? Wow, I was born and raised in Wyandotte and lived there all of my life til I got married in 1969! My Grandma lived on Third by Godell. Right by St. Elizabeth Church! Two blocks from Biddle!

What a small world! Rosie
Old 09-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Sprout

wow, I went to St. E's for a long time. They are closed now. Wyandotte is right next door!
Old 09-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Sprout

I know where Ecorse is!!!!!

Yes it is. What years did you attend St. E's? Rosie
Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Acorn

from michigan, giving away ferns

Flushing twp michigan.
I have a bag of ostrich ferns that i had to divide out,
would love for someone else to enjoy them
-->