Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Flower Garden

Anyone from Michigan?

I was just wondering if there was anyone here from Michigan? I am in southwest michigan down by the indiana line. Was just curious.
Deb
Old 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Flowering Shrub

Originally...

I was born and raised just outside of Detroit on the east side and my Mom and Dad still live of the shore of Lake Huron by the Bluewater Bridge. I know gardening pretty well in Michigan. Just moved to Oklahoma 9 years ago. Your soil is wonderful compared to the clay rock I have to work with.
-Donna
Old 03-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Flower Garden

Learning curve?????

I bet its been a real experience learning to grow things in a new type of soil. I havnt really had any problems with the soil here. I grew up in West Virginia so the growing conditions and soil are the same or fairly close. Right now I"m just tired of the snow and cant wait to get outside once the weather permits. I planted most of my plants last year and I'm kind of nervous about whether or not they are going to make it and come up again this spring. Trying to fight off the winter blues by planting my elephant ears and 3 types of canna in pots in the house. LOL Been watching them pretty closely since theres only snow outside to look at. LOL They sure grow slowly. Been working on projects to put out in the yard once spring is sprung too. Help!!!!!!!!!! I"m drowning in snow here.
Deb
Old 03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Sprout

moving to MI

Good to hear gardening soil is pretty good- I hope it is in the upper areas--I will be moving north of Tawas as soon as my small farm sells here in Kentucky. Anyone looking for a 10.4 ac farm with 4-5 bedrooms and 2 baths in KY? Husband took new job and my dream farm and stables are going on the sales block!!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Flower Garden

Wow, your going to be about 5 hours north of me. I had never heard of Tawas so I looked it up on the map. You will find that the winters here are probably alot different than the ones in Kentucky. And if you have things coming up in your yard now then the growing season is different too. My plants are still under the snow. LOL But theres alot of beauty to be found here also. Plus theres lakes every where. I hope you will like your new home. And let me be the first to welcome you to the great state of Michigan!!!!!!!!
Deb
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Flowering Shrub

Kentucky and Michigan are both gorgeous states..

and as long as you see Michigan in the spring instead of the winter-you'll love it!!! My fourteen year old son still misses the winters because he's a snow bunny. My arthritis can't take it. I'm sure you'll love gardening in Michigan. Bulbs need to be pulled every fall-except irises, crocus, grape hyacinth and a few others. Ferns do well in the woods. Gotta watch the amount of sun your flowers get and can't overwater-they beds don't need to be watered twice a day in the heat- just once and that only in the heat. You'll need to learn about the plants because the sun loving plants don't thrive as abundantly as in the southern climates. I had the loveliest roses in Michigan in the sun, and they were easy to grow. My roses here in OK are not as full. They just seem to struggle more and don't grow as big. Probably the combination of poorer soil and too much sun. I'm still learning tricks to successful gardening here and I'm sure you will experience the same.

I sure miss the soft grass. This nasty bermuda stuff we call grass down here is a constant war- pulling out of the flowerbeds gets so tiring. In the summer it gets so hot your mulch turns into compost and is used so quickly by your plants that by fall the soil is hard clay again for the next season. Most people don't even garden here. Vegetables have to be in raised beds. Its a challenge but I do love the early spring. I brought many large beautiful stones from Michigan and made a waterfall and small (8x12 ft) pond on my lot. It brings a little home here. You just can't easily beat the beautiful rocks in Michigan.

I am learning about growing tropicals outside here in Oklahoma-something I've never done before. I have some fan palms and other "jungle types" in my foyer just straining to grow toward the window for some outside light. I also have a cactus garden covered in a clear tarp-like a little hot house and I've managed to keep several cacti through the winter. You learn about the different things you can do in your new home. Rock gardens with creeping vines are common and beautiful in Michigan. And no dangerous biting critters! (we have black widows everywhere!)

Good luck!!
-Donna
Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Flower Garden

Oh you put that wayyyy better than I could have. Nice explaination. It is very pretty here. Alot of good points but I couldnt put it into words at the time. LOL Way to go!!!!!!

Deb
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Flowering Shrub

It comes from successfully overcoming homesickness.

At first-everything is so foreign in the new home that you can't put a finger on what you miss. You just miss everything. As you adapt, you realize the things you took for granted- like the beautiful stones, the roses and the forests full of ferns. God put beauty in every place of the earth, we just have to find it.
I may move to Australia in the next 10 years so I'll have another challenging homesickness. Its all good.

-Donna
Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Sprout

Thank you for the positive input on my move. I have really been upset about leaving here as it has taken us so long to get back home to Ky. We did live in Indiana for a short 3 years and just as I started getting used to fighting my weed garden it was time to move again. I thought I was back in Ky to stay now it seems the good lord and fate have other ideas for us. Atleast your words about Michigan make this sound hopeful. Thank You.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Acorn

Send a message via AIM to luvstarsss Send a message via Yahoo to luvstarsss
HI I live in Michigan and I am southeast of Detroit in Wyandotte, am very interested in gardening flowers this year, so far we have had wonderful weather here and hopefully it will continue, I started all my vegetables inside this year and a few of the flowers I wanted, still looking for some for the outside and inside
have a nice day
Kim
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Flower Garden

Hi Kim,
Welcome to plant swap. I live in Edwardsburg, just 2 miles from the Indiana line. Our weather here has been alot better lately also. As for your plants you want the people here have alot to trade, you might find what your looking for. They are a great bunch of people and very knowledgable too. I think you will like it here alot.
Happy gardening!!
Deb
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Sprout

I am from rockford, just north of grand rapids

Last edited by jlee160; 03-07-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Flower Garden

Your not very far away then. Anxiously, awaiting spring here. I can hardly wait.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Sprout

I have been banned from saying" I can't wait for spring" in my house
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Flowering Shrub

i'm from wyandotte, 45 minutes from toledo ohio border. soooo anxious to get out there and clean up the leaves and debris and watch the perrinials popping up..
-->