Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New York

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Acorn

Organizing a plant swap in NY

Would anyone be interested in a plant swap in either the lower hudson vallley or Long Island - If so, I will organize.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Blossom

don't know if there's enough NY metropolitan area people here to do one..
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

yet....
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Blossom

no.. I think in general.

In my opinion, there's not as many hardcore gardeners in NY because we have a much shorter warm season here... I mean how can I become a hardcore gardener as an ordinary person. Too cold to do any sort of serious plant collecting.. There's so many things I want that just wouldn't survive out here..

Unless, you have some means to get a greenhouse, it'd be kinda hard.. I'm trying to convince my hubbie to move back to VA. I can grow so many more things there.. For that matter, SO CAL. The things I can grow there... sigh..
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Acorn

Send a message via AIM to luckydog
I think you are right about the greenhouse thing. I watched in horror as someone dismantled one and had it hauled off in a dumpster when they bought a house nearby. Had I known who the owners were I might have made an offer to take it piece by piece and use at least part of it. The people were from New Jersey and the contractor was just doing his job... I happened to see an inflatable one at Sam's Club for about $1200 last year. I wanted it so badly! Does anyone have any experience with one of those? I worried the snow and ice might damage it.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Esteemed Nut

You just get to grow different things that we cant in the south. I dream of peonies , Lilacs, forsythia and pussywillow. Where I am at , I can't even grow many allums, or blueberries. It is all knowing where you live and surrendering to the ZONE.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Bush

Quote :
no.. I think in general.

In my opinion, there's not as many hardcore gardeners in NY because we have a much shorter warm season here... I mean how can I become a hardcore gardener as an ordinary person. Too cold to do any sort of serious plant collecting.. There's so many things I want that just wouldn't survive out here
I know what you're saying, but as a NY'er too, I just don't agree. I lived in Florida, so have had the chance to do southern gardening as well.... There are just as many things that I could not grow there as there are here. I could not do all of my favorite bulbs that needed a good cold dormancy, for instance. Veggie gardening was very difficult to do in the sandy soil, nothing liked it. I had to stick to nothing but tropicals...and I like a mixture....
coming back to NY, I was happy to have my variety back again.
Yup, the growing season is short....but that means more plants in the house!! All of my questionable plants, like cannas, stay in pots so I can move them back and forth....they store nicely in the mud room for a cool winter, without losing them to frost.
I prefer Northern gardening to Southern for the most part.....buuuuuutttt....sure miss my babies come winter and seeing all those southerners still have blooms and such.....but I try to realize that only makes all of my blooms much more precious to see.

Sheila...I'm in Upstate NY, so too far to do a swap out your way...would love to have one up here. Am planning on one soon....my area is full of gardeners.

my blog: http://nataliesartandsoap.blogspot.com/

Do you know about PS's social groups??
http://www.plantswap.net/forum/groups/
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Sprout

Plant Swap

I'd be interested in a swap if it were in the Rockland county area. I'm in Port Jervis now, but I used to be in Tuxedo and know the Orange/Rockland county area pretty well. Did a couple open mic nights years ago at a bar in Pearl River actually. If a swap were arranged, I'd try to get in on it. I think it'd be best in spring though, when everyone is out looking for plants and has plants available... Let me know if this develops into anything. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Tree

Hm

I'm offended....
Just because it's cold, doesn't mean there are no hardcore gardeners.
Also, does somebody have to be hardcore? I guess if we aren't hardcore enough, we don't count huh?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Tree

PS

That said,
if it's just a couple hours away - I would go down to NY, if it was worth it. But everyone there has to be hardcore, or I won't go (ha ha)
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

SmilePa girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a few girls from Pa. We love to garden!!!!!!!!!

We got Mandy, Angie, Bali, and Kratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Flowering Shrub

Yes we do!
We love gardening
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Sprout

Originally Posted by lcosden View Post:
no.. I think in general.

In my opinion, there's not as many hardcore gardeners in NY because we have a much shorter warm season here... I mean how can I become a hardcore gardener as an ordinary person. Too cold to do any sort of serious plant collecting.. There's so many things I want that just wouldn't survive out here..

Unless, you have some means to get a greenhouse, it'd be kinda hard.. I'm trying to convince my hubbie to move back to VA. I can grow so many more things there.. For that matter, SO CAL. The things I can grow there... sigh..
We have a big plant swap from internet gardeners every June out this way. It is held between Buffalo and Rochester. We are going on year six, definitely dedicated gardeners if not hard core. Oh and I belong to the Genesee Valley Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society. That is a hard core group! And we have annual swaps.
Remy
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Acorn

I'm interested in swapping..

I live in Astoria and can get to Long Island and nearby. I've started seedlings in doors in my spare bedroom. Morning glories, moonflower, basil, rosemary, sage, daisies and a few others. I have other hardy plants in my garden that can be sampled. Let me know if interested in meeting.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by Sheila View Post:
Would anyone be interested in a plant swap in either the lower hudson vallley or Long Island - If so, I will organize.

I'd be interested in one on Long Island. Of course it's a very looooong island so finding a good location isn't going to be easy...
-->