Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New York

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to JesluvsPaul

AngryDisappointed with catalog order

Well, as I am sure some of you have done orders by mail I don't do this really I stick to stores where I can see what I am getting for my money call me crazy but I want it to be worth my wild, well any way I saw on line while looking up cheap or free plants that Spring hill had a 20.00 coupon for right now no strings just pay shipping, so I looked at what they were offering and of course WAY over priced on most things then I saw a Jumbo grab bag of perennials which told me it would be a mix and it was on sale to boot! The reg. price was 39.99 was on sale for 19.99 which would take up the 20.00 coupon and all I had to pay was 7.95. SO I tryed them out for the first time Ever and this was what I got : 1 day lily, 1 liriope big blue,1 phlox alpha,1 black eyed susan, which two of them are not hardy to my zone really, I just thought they would do something a bit better then that I mean come on Black eyed susan? they grow wild here ALL OVER!! I guess I sound bad because I only had to pay the shipping but when you think it maybe worth a try just to find some small dryed up looking items and find that half are growing wild in your back yard, you think I am wrong? Thanks in advance for feedback, Jes

Last edited by JesluvsPaul; 04-15-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Flower Garden

I can not believe that the regular price for that is 39.99. Even for the 7.95 you would think for a $20 jumbo grab bag you would have gotten more than that. I almost ordered from them too using that coupon then I decided against it. I"m glad I did now. I'm so sorry that you were burned like that. Now we know not to shop with them. I would be upset too. You might try emailing them but it may not help but they would know how you feel about it. Did it say how many were supposed to be in that package? Four plants for that price is just too outrageous.
Deb
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Blossom

Thumbs downGrab bag

Quote from spring hill site:"Jumbo Perennial Grab Bag

Each year we're blessed with an extra supply of certain top varieties of perennials. We package these extras in money-saving Grab Bags that include prime quality plants with a minimum catalog value of $39.99. The Jumbo Perennial Grab Bag is your chance to plant some great perennials at an extremely low price. "
The picture dont even show the crap I got,I think I might Email them undecided thats why I posted here so I could get everyones feelings on it my friend and hubby think I got boned... Jes

Last edited by JesluvsPaul; 04-15-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Flower Garden

I would email them. Theres no way that what you got is worth almost ten dollars each, which is what they would be at regular price. Or you could call them too if theres a number to call. Let them know how disapointed you are. And hopefully they will do something to fix that. Please keep us informed.
I just went to their site to check and see what I could come up with price wise for your plants they sent. I dont know what kind of daylily you got, I just picked one and added it in. This what I came up with:

One daylily = $7.99
Liriope, 3 for $9.99, divided by 3 =$3.33
Alpha Phlox = $7.99
Black Eyed Susan = $5.99
If you add all that up it comes to $25.30, far below the $39.99 value that it was supposed to be. I am thinking someone made a mistake. Because the value does not add up to what was promised in the ad.
Deb
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Tree

shafted

You were soooo shafted. E-mail these crooks & tell them so. Just my opinion!!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
Sorry to hear that you got burned Jes . I order from catalogs also , but only if I see a plant I do know , and I ca'nt find locally . I have come to expect a minature size to arrive and usually have to put them in a nursery area for the first year . The only exception would be fruit trees . They are a better size for transplanting normally than the larger trees locally that are hard to handle and way overpriced .
I think most of us feel your pain.
Bill
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Blossom

I emailed them today and let them know that I thought they would be putting their BEST foot forward for a new customer and that I was VERY disapointed with what I had got and pointed out the the cost for the 4 dryed up puppy turd looking items, and that 2 were not for my zone and the other two were VERY commen for this area NY to GROW WILD and stated to please fix, so now I am waiting to see what they will say, Jes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Blossom

The Rippoff by Spring Hill

Originally Posted by jdkline View Post:
I would email them. Theres no way that what you got is worth almost ten dollars each, which is what they would be at regular price. Or you could call them too if theres a number to call. Let them know how disapointed you are. And hopefully they will do something to fix that. Please keep us informed.
I just went to their site to check and see what I could come up with price wise for your plants they sent. I dont know what kind of daylily you got, I just picked one and added it in. This what I came up with:

One daylily = $7.99
Liriope, 3 for $9.99, divided by 3 =$3.33
Alpha Phlox = $7.99
Black Eyed Susan = $5.99
If you add all that up it comes to $25.30, far below the $39.99 value that it was supposed to be. I am thinking someone made a mistake. Because the value does not add up to what was promised in the ad.
Deb
The Phlox are on sale for 1 cent each, Yeah WIll NOT take this laying down!!! Jes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Blossom

Wow-I consider myself lucky

I too got a coupon for $25 dollars free no strings attached. I decided to try them out and bought a lime fruit tree from them. The final tally was in fact $0.00 dollars since the coupon covered S&H and the plant.

I waited to see what they would send and if they would send it at all. A month later as promised I received my fruit tree in great condition. It was actually larger then I expected.

After reading you post, I consider myself very lucky.

Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Flowering Shrub

I have almost stopped ording from cat. it seems that nothing really is of high quality like you get at a nursery for the same price.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Flowering Shrub

I buy quite a bit from catalogs. I do the opposite of Bill. I buy the easy care common stuff that will grow if you throw it on top of the soil and the seller is willing to give me three plants for 4 bucks. I find the common stuff grows so quickly that the growers want to clear their stock and thats when I buy. I watch the catalogs that come to my house-and I get dozens- to compare who is selling overstock. I am never disappointed. I never buy "package deals" like "perennial garden" or "shade perennials". I don't trust them to send me good plants. Only the overstock and I will buy enough to make the s/h worth my purchase. This spring I bought $115 worth from Burgess and it will take about three years but everything I bought is doing well. They aren't sending me stuff that "fills the order"-they have overstock and send great plants because they haven't been selling it the past few years.
Sorry you were taken-that really stinks and I hope you get compensated. Maybe if you give us the email, we can all send them a little "disappointment" note on your behalf. I'd be willing.
-Donna
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Blossom

Red faceEmailed Spring hill

Well I did email Spring hill days ago, not a thing in return I guess I am just gonna let it go and learn from my mistake <Buying from them> but it does bring me to post a poll of sorts : Where Have you gotten the best deals by Order? open to all dont be shy, I know that I usally wait till end of year and buy bulbs at cheap prices last year I got 30 bulbs of tulips easter basket mix for 70 cents so I got a few, now that is a deal as look as you are will to store them and by storing them the bulbs all had babys so now I have 3 times as much! Thanks to all who gave their input oh well Live and learn some lessons are easyer then others. Thanks again, Jes < P.S that deal was at walmart>
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to jessiebella677

Ordering Plants

I too have had alot of bad experience with catalog nurseries. I have found it best to go to a nursery or here on the swap site. I have gotten alot healthier and bigger plants on here than any catolog or web site. I do still like my local nurseries but I do not order from catalogs anymore. I do get seeds from ebay and have found particular vendor I love. Its called OVM seeds. You get alot for your money! I even shared some on here thats how many I got. Great price, I only buy seeds from someone else unless he doesnt have that particular type. Also if you love poppies there is a great ebayer called one stop poppie shop. So awesome!! Just about every poppy you can think of. I also found she is a great price for the amount of seeds plus she sends an extra gift pack! She is located here in Wisconsin and ofcourse I think Wisconsinites are pretty great people, especially those country folk! LOL! Anyway check those to out.
JESSIE
Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Been there done that

Especially MI-Bulb co. I got slimy plants and that was about 10 yrs ago. You can go to some sites and they rate these online catalogs. Sorry about your luck. You should definately get something from this. I think I also tried them before just because of coupon, way over-priced. I will help ya send me your addy by pm, I have different seeds if you don't mind going the hard way I will send ya some. Those Jerks! Angie. If they show it looks to good to be true probably is!
-->