Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New York

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to JesluvsPaul

TalkingDeal Of The Day!

Hello all, I wanted to post about my DEAL of THE day!! I was driving to an appt. today and low and Behold on the side of the road cast off like road kill a HUGE large leaf Azalea with two bonus mini rose bushes included in the root bundle to be tossed for road pick up the garbage men, Ausome!! I stoped of course put it the pick up and off I went planted all items and doing well SO happy!! can't wait to see what color it is.. this brings me to one of my many Questions WHat was your best fined or deal of the day? I would like to read your story... call me corny lol Thanks for Reading Jes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Flower Garden

flowers from freecycle

A woman posted on freecycle that she had plants you could come and dig for free. I emailed her, she replied and said I was welcome to come down and dig some flowers. This was yesterday. Me and my son loaded up some plastic pots and grabbed a couple shovels and off we went. I got there and couldnt believe what I was seeing. She had daylilies, daffs, tulips, ferns, and raspberries that she didnt want. We dug for about an hour a half yesterday evening then it was getting dark. She said I could come back today and dig more if I wanted to. So we go back today and other people had been there too but there were still so many flowers that no one person could dig them all. I got 2 car loads of plants in 2 days. And as a bonus, shes a very nice lady and we just hit it off. On the first trip, just in daylilies, not including the other stuff I got, I had enough to put a whole row on my new 106 ft flower bed. Now I have another car load sitting in the garage to be planted tomorrow. I dont know what color anything is but I sure made out like a fat rat. She wants me to come back later in the week and get more. Plus the other lady that was there this morning had told her that she was going to thin out some daisies. She asked the lady if she wanted them and she said no, but I bet the other lady that's coming back today will. Shes going to let me know when the daisies are divided and get those for me too. I am just so tickled!!! And I was afraid I wasnt going to have enough plants and seeds for my new garden. LOL Boy, was I wrong!!!
Deb
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Blossom

SWEET!! And I thought I got a deal!! Jes
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Flowering Shrub

I'm so happy for both of you. Such uplifting stories. I think our gardening Father is smiling at his kids this season!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Flower Garden

You did!! Anything free is a deal. LOL And you will have to let us know what colors they are too. I'm thinking its kind of exciting not knowing what the colors are.
Deb
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Blossom

its like christmas!!! Free is the best part... I must say .. thats apart of the fun too making a breath taking garden for hardly any thing, well except sweat and bugs but thats ok its worth every drop and every bite! Jes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Flowering Shrub

what a great find. Have fun.and let us know the colors of things.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Tree

I Can't believe it, you hit the mother load girl. I haven't had any luck like that but I love to get plants & not know the color of the bloom & when it does bloom I get such an adrenaline rush of surprise. I could stay in my yard every minute of the day, I like gardening soooooo much.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Tree

Well that was the find of the century! I thought I did well on Friday when I got home from work and my neighbor was out and said he had some left over mulch did I need any? Well thinking he probably had enough for one tree I went over and found he probably had about 2 yards left ( he thinks the nursery miss-scooped and sent more than he ordered). Well spent Friday night moving mulch.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Blossom

Fantastic finds, guys! Mine was much smaller, but I felt as good as you did---
I went to my first "plant swap" last spring. The day before the swap and the morning of, I spent hours digging up and "packaging" bulbs, phlox and lily of the valley to trade. I thought I didn't have enough (all that time working and it looked like nothing when I got them all in the trunk of my car). At the "plant swap", I started unloading the plants and the ladies running the thing were amazed at all I had brought. I soon found out that their "swap" was really their annual "clean up the garden and get rid of all the extras." They were just hoping people would take what they had and didn't really expect people to bring things.

Boy, did I clean up! I took a few hostas, a few ferns and some assorted flowering plants--as much as I'd contributed. Well, they saw how much I'd taken and started piling more in my trunk! They gave me a guided tour of what they had and suggested things I might want to try--sending me home with things I'd never grown before. I felt like the richest person on earth. And you can bet I'll go back this year if they have it again! (Yes, I will take things to swap).

Diana
Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Sprout

My great deal

My great find, though not free, was close enough for me! My daughter is in high school and her horticulture class is getting a new greenhouse. The teacher wants to move as much stuff as possible out of the old greenhouse since school is ending in about a month. He allowed us to come yesterday afternoon and go through the greenhouse and get whatever we wanted. I got sweet potato vines for a quarter each - beautiful, full hanging baskets overflowing with impatiens, spider plants, baby's tears, etc. for $5.00 each - and he gave me a beautiful orchid that he was tired of!

I plan to divide the hanging baskets and share with my the ladies I work with. The 5 hanging baskets that I bought are loaded with plants and I can easily make probably 3 or 4 more baskets out of them once I divide them. I'm so excited!!

And while I did have to pay a little for my treasures, I don't even mind since the money I spent is going towards filling the new greenhouse with supplies.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
Congratulations on the great finds . Nothing like any of those has ever happened to myself . My best finds were where old friends had given me slips of their favorite plants , or cuttings they had started . When they passed away I felt that I still had a part of my old friends near.
My biggest reget is that when I made the move to here in florida , I had to finally part with them . My original plan when I moved was to live in my motorhome and travel . However when I met my present wife the wanderlust turned to settling down again . Now everything is fresh and new .
I have started to collect plants from people I have met here , and my collection is still very small . Maybe I'll hit the jackpot yet .
Bill
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Flower Garden

Bill, I also have plants here that a dear friend gave to me. He passed away a few years back and I do sorely miss him. But every time I see the plants he gave me.......I think of him. The plants bring back fond memories of someone that was very special to me.
Deb
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to jessiebella677

deal o the day

One time my mom had gotten some paint froma lady on freecycle. Well before she left she noticed that the lady had Irises that desperatly needed thining. So knowing I have a nine acre peice of land and needed some stuff asked the nice woman if she would like her Irises thinned for free if she could have the thinnings. She said yes!! So my mom drove up my drive with her little car filled to the brim with all these leaves. I was wondering what the heck she had in there. She jumped outta her car and was so excited to bring me this gift! I couldnt believe it. I had enough to fill quite a few spots and this year they are comming up. I cant wait to see them in bloom!! Believe it or not with an area as big as mine I am still gonna buy more Irises of various colors. So I want to tell you all about a wholesale bulb company called vanengelen.com(spelling?). They have the best deal besides trading I have found.
Have a great day!!
Jessie
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Tree

super

Loads of plants sounds great, enjoy, good deal
-->