LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Tree

Send a message via Yahoo to LetItGrow
You must have 10' high ceilings then.

Does your papaya need to be pollinated?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Flowering Shrub

Wiz, thank you for the specifics. I love reading that kind of stuff. I'm always curious as to what people are using.
This is my first year with actual grow lights. I'm not doing anything like you or The Hollyberry Lady. I mostly am using mine to keep my cacti happy through the winter and to start random seeds. I have 2 sets of shop lights with one wide spectrum bulb and one bright white bulb in each fixture. My plants are 12 inches or less from the bulbs.
So far it's worked really well. I'm sprouting 3 kinds of cactus seeds,and a nasturtium seed. I'm also rooting a bunch of houseplants. It's so great. I'm mad that I didn't start using grow lights years ago.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Blossom

Originally Posted by LetItGrow View Post:
You must have 10' high ceilings then.

Does your papaya need to be pollinated?

Of course there will be pruning done LIG lol. I dont live in a dream house hahaha! But I just measured and they are 10' lol

I have 30 papayas just for that purpose. Some will be males, female and both sex (self pollinating). So I will come up good either way. Its always good to have both sexes because then you can cross the plants and make your own hybrid, depending on what traits your looking for

Originally Posted by pinkham View Post:
Wiz, thank you for the specifics. I love reading that kind of stuff. I'm always curious as to what people are using.
This is my first year with actual grow lights. I'm not doing anything like you or The Hollyberry Lady. I mostly am using mine to keep my cacti happy through the winter and to start random seeds. I have 2 sets of shop lights with one wide spectrum bulb and one bright white bulb in each fixture. My plants are 12 inches or less from the bulbs.
So far it's worked really well. I'm sprouting 3 kinds of cactus seeds,and a nasturtium seed. I'm also rooting a bunch of houseplants. It's so great. I'm mad that I didn't start using grow lights years ago.
Thank Pink, Honestly I would say keep it simple. I started out the same way you did with florescent lighting. I still use them. A mixture of spectrum's is the best way to go about growing. You will get better results because if you didnt know red makes plants stay shorter and branch out more while blue makes them grow toward the light. So depending on if you dont want alot of stretch having red in the lights will keep them short. Plus red lighting induce more fruits/blooms.

Im only growing big the way I am because I want to have loads of food and cut down on spending money at the grocery store. Im eating alot healthier these days so it makes since to grow my own food. Also I have this thing with one day feeding the homeless, so by time winter comes hopefully Im ready for that kind of thing.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Flower Garden

Yes it's quite easy to control the size of your plants indoors. I've been dwarfing mine for years in small pots.

I don't use a fan constantly because my metal halide is right next to a huge window but lots of people do.

Pruning...I feel like it's all I do anymore Wiz...is prune tomato suckers and leaves. Not kidding though....I prune something every single day! You know the drill.

Pink, I think your set-up is every bit as terrific as Wiz and I's. Lights are lights and if you're happy...this is all that matters. I have a feeling you'll get more lights in your future anyway.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Flowering Shrub

I think my set up is decent. It does what I need it to do, and I bet I will add more lights in the future
Old 10-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Blossom

Holly, Tomato suckers are the worse. They grow more branches every cut. But all the pruning just means your plants are growing great and healthy.

Pink, I agree as long as it does what you need it to do then your not doing anything wrong. Any pics of your set or any links you have up of your own? I do think ive seen it but not sure if it was yours or someone elses. Id like to see what your growing
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Tree

Where did you get your papaya seeds from?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Blossom

i got my seeds out of a store bought papaya. i removed the gel sacks and germinated the seeds before putting them in soil. cut down the sprouting time this way
Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Tree

OK So how do you know if the seeds are male, female or asexual?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Flowering Shrub

Here's a picture of the set up right now. The second light was pulled back a little to get a picture. It's about 8 inches lower than the one showing. This makes my basement look really gross. lol
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Blossom

Originally Posted by LetItGrow View Post:
OK So how do you know if the seeds are male, female or asexual?

They will have small flowers close to the nods/stems balls will be male and females will be closer on the nodes but will come to a point. And she/males will have both. of course the males dont produce fruits.

Originally Posted by pinkham View Post:

Here's a picture of the set up right now. The second light was pulled back a little to get a picture. It's about 8 inches lower than the one showing. This makes my basement look really gross. lol

Its actually pretty good. Those T8's will work great. What the red stem plant at the top?. You have a great space to work with pink. You could do lots more if you wanted to.

Last edited by WizGrower; 10-28-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Flowering Shrub

the red plant is a euphorbia rubra. It was given to me a month or so ago.
My set up is a good size. I have so much more space with the second light. I could add another table without any trouble. lol
Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Blossom

Is that a desert rose on the right? How long did it take for your plant to get that size if you grew it from seed, and what age did you prune it? I want to prune mine at a young age but also read that if you make a cut under a branch that opening will grow a new branch from it is that true?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Flowering Shrub

here is a better picture of the euphorbia.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by WizGrower View Post:
Is that a desert rose on the right? How long did it take for your plant to get that size if you grew it from seed, and what age did you prune it? I want to prune mine at a young age but also read that if you make a cut under a branch that opening will grow a new branch from it is that true?
On the right of the picture is a morning glory seedling and fairy castle cactus. My Adeniums are 2 inch tall seedlings. Richard Charles is the man to talk to about Desert rose.

Tags
gardening tips, herbs, indoors, veggies
-->

« Herbs | Figs »