Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upWho wants an ongoing supply of Green Onions?

Anyone ever tried this?...

I learned about a neat trick you can do to have green onions on an ongoing basis, without having to constantly run to the store to get more.

And sometimes too, the ones at the store leave a lot to be desired.

Here's what you do....

You just get a bundle of green onions and cut them down to the size you see in my picture. Then you soak them in some water for a few hours...

When they're done soaking, you pot them up into well-draining soil, covering the roots but leaving the tops to grow on. Fertilizing them lightly would also be beneficial.

I will show a picture of my green onion tops when I have them planted in soil shortly, and also some ongoing shots so you guys can see how they grow perpetually and give me a steady supply of delicious green onions....over and over and over again! It's too cool.

I adore green onions and this method allows me to eat them daily. I've done this before but want to do it again for the summer. As the onions grow, you snip them back but always leave a couple inches of stalk to continue to grow and give you ongoing harvests of tasty green onions all summer long.

Is anyone else interested in doing this or have you ever given it a try?

More pics soon....

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 06-27-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Flower Garden

am interested in trying this but never heard of it before
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Flower Garden

It's really easy and totally fun. When I did it before, I left my stems a bit longer than you see in the picture but apparently it isn't necessary and they will still grow. We'll see.

It's really fun and amazing. You'll see when I show more pictures soon. They don't take long to grow either. Lickety split.

Do you enjoy green onions, Raccoon?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Flower Garden

yes we enjoy green onions alot
Old 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Flower Garden

Oh well then you gotta try this, Raccoon. You'll absolutely love it.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Flower Garden

Ok so here's how they look after you soak them and pot them up...

In a very short time, they will begin to grow.

This can also be done in a glass of water and the onions will grow amazingly. I did it this way last time. I didn't like it though because the onion bases were slimy from always being in water. Thought I'd try it in soil this time but either way works.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Flower Garden

i will have to try this the next time i get green onions
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Bush

What a great idea! I bet this would even work in a sunny window sill, then just snip off while you are cooking. Gonna have to give it a try.

Also, I think once upon a time, I've seen this done with celery stalks too???
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upTerrific, that you'll give it a try, Raccoon & Cindy!

Yes, that's exactly where I grew mine previously and where I am growing mine now...in a sunny window sill. They will grow like a charm and you will have an on-going supply of green onions.

Good luck! Please come back and let us know how they are doing and maybe even share some pictures with us.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Bush

Thanks HBL! I don't often get a lot of chat time this time of year. Seems I find many excuses to be outdoors instead. I've been busy this year re-doing a good size area of my yard into a perennial bed. We live mostly on hillside, and I'm always looking for ways to incorporate flowers so I don't have to do the weed eating.
I'm finally beginning to see a few blooms, and it makes all the work worth while.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Flower Garden

You're welcome!

Yes, I noticed there are not many chatters around right now. Always have time for chat.

Flowers are awesome. A lot of my friends refer to me as "the flower lady" because I'm always growing them all year round. . Good luck with yours.

Is that ever cool about the celery...are you going to try this too? I've never heard about that one and I do LOVE celery. Thanks for sharing.

Also...

You can stuff the pot full of green onion tops. I've only got five but I'm going to get some more to add to the pot today. I'll get another picture later.

Not sure if I like my tops so short. When I did this before, they were 4" long. Might not snip my next ones quite as short but we'll see how they grow. I have an east window in my kitchen and this is where mine are growing.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upChanges

Ok so I got some more green onions today and decided to cut them the same length I did when I grew green onion plants previously....about 4".

I thought they were too short in the first picture and even though some people claim it will still work, I am dubious.

At the length you see in my picture below, still leaving some green stem, I know they will grow and be successful. I suggest to anyone who is going attempt to do this, to prepare them as I have here....

They will start to grow within a day or so and I'll continue to show pictures as they do.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Flower

Love your green onions, never tried growing them but this is really neat. kuddos to you.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks, Shrooms N Blooms!!!

Once you see mine growing in this thread, I bet you'll be out planting green onion tops in no time!

The thing too, is if you fertilize them, they'll only get fatter and greener! I added some blood and bonemeal to the planting soil.

Ever go to the store to buy green onions and they look wilted and pathetic....or they have none at all? You never run into either of these problems when you grow them yourself.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Flower

awesome blossom.... When I go to the store Tuesday, I will be getting some green onions

I feel like a plantaholic
-->