Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Flower

NO...wish I was...but I am in Zone 5. The good thing about being a gardener up here is that we don't have any problems with things that need 'chilling' like tulips, dafodills, lily of the valley, peonies, rhubarb, horseradish, apples and stuff like that. And if the winter chill didn't kill off the top growth of my mints, I wouldn't be able to grow anything else because they really are aggressive up here. How do herbs do in your neck of the woods?
SeeksRoots
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Blade of Grass

Smile

Wow! Your knowledge is impressive, even if it didn't work for you last winter. Thanks for sharing it!
I have never been able to root anything. Well, except by sticking cuttings in the dirt at the side of the creek. But, by hand, they all die. Since I'm in NC, albeit the mountains, I think I'll take my chances and leave it out.
Are you far enough north to grow sweetgrass (Hierochloe oderata)? I love that stuff.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Flower

Originally Posted by Corin View Post:
Wow! Your knowledge is impressive, even if it didn't work for you last winter. Thanks for sharing it!
I have never been able to root anything. Well, except by sticking cuttings in the dirt at the side of the creek. But, by hand, they all die. Since I'm in NC, albeit the mountains, I think I'll take my chances and leave it out.
Are you far enough north to grow sweetgrass (Hierochloe oderata)? I love that stuff.
I think I can, but have never tried. Right now I have no more room for anything as I am trying to put together a good selection of herbs to sell at the farmer's market next year (and maybe some yet this year.) I am in Zone 5. The good thing about being a gardener up here is that we don't have any problems with things that need 'chilling' like tulips, dafodills, lily of the valley, peonies, rhubarb, horseradish, apples and stuff like that. And if the winter chill didn't kill off the top growth of my mints, I wouldn't be able to grow anything else because they really are aggressive up here.

The oither problem I have is our property is now in the city limits and and laws around here are pretty restrictive about native and wild plants in the front yard, and sweetgrass is a rather tall plant, right? How do herbs do in your neck of the woods? Are you under restrictions about your front yard and keeping it mowed and stuff like that or are we just way behind the times? (We are part of the "rust belt" you know!)
SeeksRoots
Old 08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Blade of Grass

Smile

LOL I needed that laugh! city limits? laws??? I live on Indian land next to a national park, right off the app trail. I could keep cows in my front yard if I wanted! But I have lived in towns, of course, and I know what you mean. We don't have to mow the lawn --the tribe does that. It's a different planet. (I'm Irish and Austrian, btw --my housemate is the Cherokee.)

As for herbs, my sage isn't so happy but that may be cuz I moved them to get more sun. Oregano is going nuts. I spent an hour yesterday ripping chocolate mint and lemon mint out of a neglected flower bed --and have several hours work left. Thyme and mother-of-t blooming. I bought 3 tarragon plants not realizing they were russian. They're kinda leggy but they don't smell good anyway.

I'm having to dig more room as I get more plants. I have normal flower beds around the house and then umm areas I've dug and planted or let natives grow. The soil is very acid clayey and the only part that gets a lot of sun is poor. Others are by the creek, under frasier firs, and under a HUGE oak.

I posted a "Seeds offered/needed" 3 times yesterday and I don't think it's there yet. The clock or sumpin. I love summer savory --forgot to put that under wanted.

What else do you sell @ the market??
Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to smurfy Send a message via Yahoo to smurfy
Mint will root where ever it touches the ground, thats how it can become invasive, and it also produces runners. I have lemon mint and peppermint, smells soo good!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Flower

First of all...congratulations!!
"Hey Everybody --I'm a SPROUT!!! Yipeeee "
I looked for some guideline to tell me what acorn, sprout, bush, blade of grass, etc all mean, but I haven't found it yet.

And yes, your message did post because I found it. Sorry I don't have any natives to offer you. I could give you more mint that you would have to dig out

As to where you live, well, the soil may not be the best, but WOW...what a great location!! No noisy neighbors, no restrictions, did I mention no people?? I like people, I just don't like screaming kids and blaring music when I just want to be in my garden at peace. (Sigh, yes I guess I am getting old!) I do genealogy research, and one of the standard myths is that you have an Native American connection somewhere in your family. I was always told that too, but keep running into deadends!! But considering there are several branches of my family that came here in the 1600's, I hope to prove it yet.

Sorry, I got sidetracked...I envy you the wide open spaces and the ability to grow what you darn well please!! I have all these restrictions and cra**y soil to boot. Yes, most of Illinois has great fertile soil, but our place was all strickly 'builders fill' covered with a thin layer of top soil and scrawny looking grass and weeds when I moved in. My beds have all had compost dug into them over several seasons, but where it isn't improved, it still is horrible!

I am just strating up with this farmer's market, so I haven't been yet. I have done it before, but then I sold the usual...'maters, cukes, squash, that sort of stuff. Now, with the bad knees, and only a back yard to work from I figure I can make a few bucks selling fresh herbs....or so I am hoping. When I get up and running I hope to sell Rhubarb in the spring, garlic in the fall, and fresh herbs the rest of the time. I also wanted to sell a few potted up herbs in cute containers, like small wooden crates, baskets, or things like olive oil cans with chives growing out of them. I posted a question asking for help yesterday to that end. I garden, I grow houseplants, but I don't arrange flowers. I haven't got a clue as to how they get a plant to fit into some of those cute containers that they do. My first thought was coir, or some sort of spanish moss or something. But in a tall can, it would take a lot of stuffing to hold a small pot up, and I don't have a lot of extra money to waste, hence the farmer's market idea. I figure the potted plants in containers will be eye catching and even if they don't sell, it will attrack people over to see them and then they will buy the fresh cut herbs..I hope! I have a bunch of old wooden cheese boxes and I figure to line the boxes with foil or something, and plop in a couple of herbs in peat pots. Sort of todays version of an herb growing kit..the hard work done for ya. What do you think?

SeeksRoots
-->