Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Flowering Shrub

I thought about raised beds some last year and decided that the 2 by 12's were just to expensive to use here. Then again, the south is pretty hard on soft pine boards left on the ground...too many critters that love eating soft woods down here.

Got any cow farms near ya? Get you a trailer and go visit one, try getting the patties that have been sitting for a while(it's already started to breakdown, and isn't as nasty as handling the runny stuff).
Don't forget some sand....yes sand! I had to add some to the soil here, it'll help drainage during those heavy down pours, and believe it or not-there's plenty of nutrients in sand.
Rough compost... This is the stuff that'll hold moisture and breakdown over the next few years. Leaves and 'some' lawn clippings too.

I would mix all the above together with that rototiller with the soil your already gardening in, and then transplant the soil to the beds. By the way, looking good!!!!

Scott (and the garden is closer) B
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Pepperdude those are some beautiful beds you have going there. I can't wait to see them full and growing!

Scott that is what I was going to suggest. Any farm animal manure works great! Horse is especially good as it tends not to be so caustic if fresh. I have always went to the cow sheds and cleaned them out, the farther down you go the better the stuff is. Rabbit, sheep are also very good. Be careful of chicken as it is very caustic unless it sets for 6 + months to compost and the nitrogen is broken down a bit.
If you are going that route why not get you some Worm beds going that is the best stuff on the planet and there is a lot of information out there on how to make your own worm beds. Making your own compost is another good way to build up your beds and you will know what to do with all your fallen leaves and lawn clippings, not to mention the food waste from the kitchen, as long as it isn't meat products. There are so many options out there for you. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Tree

Pepper those are nice beds, my choc. cherry maters are now 6 inch tall & its going 2 snow monday & freeze here tues. so I still can't put in the garden as of yet,
Old 04-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Blossom

Wow

Those are some pretty good sized veggie beds!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Blade of Grass

Here are a few eairlier pics of when i started planting.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Blade of Grass

And here is a few from a few weeks later.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Blade of Grass

And a few weeks later still.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Blade of Grass

Here are a few pics of the tomatoes that i have growing.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Sprout

Raised Veggie Beds

Hi PepperDude,
Just wanted to pass along a special method that was shared with me to having amazing tomato plants. When you go to plant your starter tomato plants, try digging a trench rather than a hole. Then take the starter plant and place it side ways in the trench. Cover the roots and the stalk of the plant up to the leaves. You might want to clip off some of the bottom leaves. Gently bend the plant where the leaves are upwards and finish patting the soil around it. You will be surprised at how well your tomato plants will do if you start them this way and the reason why is because all of the little hairs on the stalk turn into roots. You will have a much better root system which will allow more water and food going to your plant which in turn gives you better plants with more tomatoes.
I hope you will try this method.
Steve
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
PD that is a wonderful garden. I would love to have my own veg garden.

Steve, this is so true! I always dig a deep hole and set the tomatoes in there the same way. Tomatoes also love Epsom salts and if you boil eggs save the water, after it cools water your tomatoes with that and they will love you for it. They love the calcium in the water that comes from the eggs!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Flower Garden

Pepper Dude, You are such an inspiration. I must have my back yard converted to planting beds!!! I love what you've done there!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Blossom

Blagojevich...Pork Chop ? Are these real varieties or are you joshin' us?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Acorn

My husband built me 3 - 4 x 4 raised beds this year. I read the book 'All New Square Foot Gardening' for a lot of ideas - including the mix of compost, vermiculite, peat moss, etc... We lined the bottoms of the beds with garden fabric. My husband also built the lattice work to attach on top of the beds which divides each bed into 16 cubes. By adding the lattice work I could follow the suggestions in the book which tells how much of each kind of plant each square can support. So far I've been thrilled with the results! I have planted several kinds of tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, several varieties of peppers, melon, watermelon, strawberries, potatoes, bush green beans, vine green beans, sugar snow peas, lima beans, onions, and brown sugar crowder peas. In hanging pots I have cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, peppermint, spearmint, lemon mint. And in some additional pots I have Chocolate mint and a variety of other culinary herbs. Just today I planted some Feverfew. I think my husband is going to make me another raised bed that will be 10 x 10 x 5 ! I love the knowledge that we will have our own food source in our backyard. I'll be canning and freezing in preparation for the winter.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Tree

Pepper Dude,,

Love that Garden and oh la la,, my tomatoe seeds are in from you now too,, we had to start late in michigan,, but Im very hopeful,, cant wait to see your lovely harvest, blessings, beth
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Sprout

I made my first raised beds this year. Laid down cardboard, newspaper works good also.
Then I layered compost materials with peat moss in between. Does not matter too much what the layers are as long as the ratio of 4 brown/dry or leaves to 1 green/wet or moist material.
-->