Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Blade of Grass

Raised Veggie Beds

I haven't been doing alot of posting, as i have been trying to get ready for veggie season, getting seeds started, getting the garden tilled and composted so this year i and the wife have decided that this would be my last year of lugging that ole heavy tiller down the hill and beating myself to a pulp so, we have decided to go with raised beds to make it a little easier for next year. Here are a few pictures of what i have ready so far.

They are 6ft.wide x 12ft.long and 12 inches tall and the way i space my tomato plants i will get at least 10 plants per bed and still be able to plant peppers and eggplants in them also. I will probably build 2 more before next year. So are there any suggestions as to what i need to fill these beds with, as far as a secret soil mix that you know?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Bush

Those are looking good!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Flower Garden

That looks great!! My husband and I have decided to put in a veggie garden this year also. With the food prices high we thought we could save ourselves some money by canning and freezing the veggies. We have a place picked out in the basement that will be our "cellar". We are planning on lots of veggies and will need some place to store the potatoes and jars of canned goods. Will also need to purchase a freezer. We have 2 teenagers in the house and they eat more and more each day. We thought this would cut down on our costs for food. We have already broke the news to the kids that they are expected to help out with it. We took a no help, no eat stance on it and they are all about helping so they can reap the benefits.
Deb
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Blade of Grass

Deb,
I have a few extra veggies here are there any particular kinds of seeds your looking for?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Flower Garden

I would love to find some black russian heirloom tomato seeds. No corn seed yet either. It would be easier to list what I have so far instead of what I need. LOL I have tomato, cucumbers, and one pack of summer squash. We plan on having corn, watermelon, potatoes, and anything else we can think of. Onions, I wanted some onions, my husband doesnt care for them but I love them. Also wanted some lettuce. We just started planning this so we havent put alot of thought into it yet. I just know that in the long run, it will save us money. I dont know that broccoli and cauliflower will do well here?? This is the first time we have had a veggie garden and I"m kind of clueless. Myself, I would love to go out to the garden and get most or all of my veggies for a meal.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Flower

2:1 topsoil mixed with pottingsoil, add a lil peat.

you want your tomatoes peppers and eggplants to do really well??

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8963

I can not say enough about this product....we only had 6 tomato plants in the back last year and had fruit until halloween.....we just couldn't keep up with them.

I'm not trying to sound like a commercial but I have never used a product that not only did what it said it would do.....but worked better than it said as well.

You put 2 tablespoons in the hole you dug for you plant (before putting the plant in)....then halfway through the season (or when you have quite a few green tomatoes) sprinkle 2 more tablespoons around the stem of each plant and scratch in.

it's all natural, no chemicals, animal and food safe and works on peppers and eggplants too. even more....they usually give you $25 in free products if your new. (but you have to request the catalog and use the code I think) If what you want to try comes to $25 or less with shipping...they just send it too you.

Last edited by chrysalynea; 02-24-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Blossom

We have 2~10 X 20 footers raised beds that we garden in on the south side of the house. I would be filling it with rich soils and compost.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Bush

Yes Compost Compost Compost. I save all my egg shells thru the winter and cursh them well I put a good handful in each hole add a banana peel or two mix with the soil a little then plant. My plants have been healthier and I get many more tomatoes since I started doing this.
Bernie
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to eliza28 Send a message via Skype™ to eliza28
Looking good! Want to do my yard next?

Are you putting a liner on the sides or on the bottom edges? I only ask because our first raised bed leaked dirt until established when watered. The second one we put newspaper down the sides / corners to keep dirt in and it rots away later.

http://adventuresinbliss.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to eliza28 Send a message via Skype™ to eliza28

Deb Veggie Garden

Oh your veggies will do well in this area the broc. cauli. and brus. sprouts love the chilly weather. I am bad I always get plants from the store just cause you never know when we will get hit with a super cold day or washout.

Also my melons never go long enough here to produce really good yields I am guessing because I start those seeds too late in the ground.

If I decide to do some seeds I will be sure to send you some. Just PM your Address

http://adventuresinbliss.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Flowering Shrub

Smile

Cardboard in the bottom is supposed to work well too. BTW they look fantastic!!! You're off to a great start.

*The wind of Heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse*
~Arabian Proverb
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Blade of Grass

Originally Posted by jdkline View Post:
I would love to find some black russian heirloom tomato seeds. No corn seed yet either. It would be easier to list what I have so far instead of what I need. LOL I have tomato, cucumbers, and one pack of summer squash. We plan on having corn, watermelon, potatoes, and anything else we can think of. Onions, I wanted some onions, my husband doesnt care for them but I love them. Also wanted some lettuce. We just started planning this so we havent put alot of thought into it yet. I just know that in the long run, it will save us money. I dont know that broccoli and cauliflower will do well here?? This is the first time we have had a veggie garden and I"m kind of clueless. Myself, I would love to go out to the garden and get most or all of my veggies for a meal.

Deb i need your address please PM it to me. And i just happen to have some Purple Russian seeds are there any others that your looking for?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Flower

Looking good so far

here is a link that may help you out some to: http://organicgardening.about.com/od...agnagarden.htm
Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Acorn

I've gone to raised bed and will be lining the botton with planters paper mulch to keep the weeds down. Your beds look great! Nice job.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Blossom

We're putting raised beds in the greenhouse and filling with peat/black gold/compost equal measures of each. Also laying down cardboard in the bottoms to keep weeds and grass from growing through.

Your beds look great. Might want to put a little path of stepping stones in there so you can reach everything or planks of wood without stepping on the soil and compacting it. when you pull out a plant as it is finished producing, fill the hole with compost and plant for the fall. This way your beds stay well fed and you won't have to buy any type of soil/peat again.

we work on our compost all fall and winter adding leaves we throw through the mulcher. Kitchen scraps chopped up and sawdust from cutting wood (we heat with a woodstove so we always have sawdust) We are putting in alot of raised beds and do not have enough compost to fill them so we are having to spend a little this year but not again as we will always be able to fill in with compost after the intial filling of the beds. there are some great compost books at the library.

There is also a cool book called "cubed foot gardening" and then there is the old standby "Square foot gardening". One suggestion in square foot gardening is to erect trellises on one saide of the garden to grow vertically to save space.
-->