Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upGrowing Tomatoes Indoors

Does anyone else grow tomatoes indoors? I've been doing it for years with total success. And I've decided to do it again.

All you need are some dwarf tomato plants or seeds (determinate) and an east or south window (ideal) or you could use supplemental lighting if you only have north and west windows. The plants will still grow and produce with north and west light but not as impressively as with south and east light. Artificial lighting can help...especially in winter.

Here are some "table" tomatoes I grew in a southeast corner window, in my apartment a couple winters back....

I thought this thread would be a good place to discuss methods of growing tomatoes indoors. They are so incredibly easy to grow inside and so rewarding. Especially for your salad bowls!

I'm germinating Principe Borghese and Red Peach right now to grow this year.....both heirloom types! Even indeterminate varieties can be grown indoors and kept pruned...but dwarf types are preferred if space is limited.

Please feel free to join this thread if you're curious about growing tomatoes indoors, once the cold weather hits....or any other time of year as well.

Pictures will be ongoing as soon as my seeds start germinating.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Flower Garden

okay sounds like a winner to me as i thought about growing some dwarf tomatoes in the house this year and see what they do
Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Flower Garden

Even people who grow tomatoes outside can prune their plants back before frost and bring them indoors for a late fall harvest.

One year I did just that. Grew these "Red Currant" heirloom tomatoes in a hanging basket outside on a shepherd's hook....

Brought them inside so the tomatoes could ripen into late fall, in my south living room window. Instead of having them killed by frost, I enjoyed eating them for weeks!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Flower Garden

yes that sounds very good
Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Flower Garden

Do you know that tomato cuttings root as easy as pie?

Yup, they do!

If you love a certain tomato plant in your garden, you can even take a snippet indoors before frost, and root it in a glass of water or in soil, to grow and produce over the cold weeks of Fall and Winter. I grow tomatoes in my windows but some people have sun porches and can easily support tomato plants even better than I am.

Tomato plants can also be pruned so they don't get crazy indoors, especially if you're growing indeterminate varieties like I sometimes do.

Looking very forward to growing some again this year in my apartment. It's always such fun. Can't wait for germination.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Flower Garden

okay but no i did not know tomato plants would root from cuttings but thank you for the information
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Tree

Do they get woody? How long does each plant live?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Flower Garden

Woody stems are not a problem for me because I don't keep my tomato plants going for years at a time...usually just a few harvests and then I put them to bed.

If they did get woody though, you can always prune them back and allow new growth to develop....or take cuttings from the new growth and start over.

Personally though, I prefer to work with new plants, rather than keep the same one dwindling along for years at a time. Cuttings are a great way to go though, if you want to keep the growth new and vigorous.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Flower Garden

okaya thank you for the help and the information
Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Flower Garden

WinkYou're welcome, RacoonBandit

I've got both my Principe Borghese and Red Peach tomato seeds in moist paper towels and the Red Peaches are germinating tonight!

Gonna get one into soil tomorrow morning. More pictures soon...
Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Flower Garden

Here was a cluster of tomatoes I harvested off one of my indoor plants a couple winters ago....

Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Flower Garden

very nice looking tomatoes what kind was they my husband said that they are very good looking tomatoes when would you have to plant them to have winter tomatoes in the house
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Flower Garden

I think they were "Table" tomatoes but I can't be certain because I've grown so many over the years.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Flower Garden

okay thank you very much just wondering as might try it this winter sure cannot afford to buy them in the winter time
Old 07-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Flower Garden

Yes, they are very expensive in the winter. Another great reason to grow them inside. Plus you can grow your tomatoes organically when you grow them yourself.

And we all know how much organic produce costs, that you didn't grow yourself!
-->