Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc
I have kept seeds from store bought items for years, and always did well with them. Plus, the kids have always gotten a kick out of doing it....it's fun for them to see how the seed comes out of the vegetable, then becomes plants in the garden. Best of luck to you, potplant, and I will keep you in my prayers!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Bush

Just got back from the store. I let my neighbor know about saving the seeds, especially asked him about saving the pineapple rinds for the seeds. He works in the produce department and will be trying this project with his little daughter.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Flowering Shrub

Amish store seed

the bag of mixed soup beans had as far as I can tell 100% germantion. looks like it will make a great green manure mix.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Flowering Shrub

Growing things from the produce section is on of my favorite things ever! I planted a big slice of the root end of cabbage in my flower bed just to see what it would do. It started putting up shoots almost immediately. It has over wintered 2 winters now & is the coolest plant! In the winter it takes on a purple cast. I have a head of purple cabbage right now that I am going to plant the root end next to the one that is already there. If it does as well as the other one, it should be a pretty color combination.
The ginger root that I planted in a pot last spring got about 4 ft tall & very thick. The pot is full of ginger roots now. My back yard flower beds are full of Elephant Ears that I've grown from taro roots from the grocery store. In zone 7 , they come back thicker every spring! Yea!
If you live in an area that has Central Market check out their produce section...WOW! Gardeners paradise!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Sprout

potato grown from grocery store starter

I've always though it was funny people would put a potato in the trash because it became withered and the eyes started to grow. Truth of the matter is I've had better luck with those outcast than the seed potato. Last year my seed potato plants grew nice vine and a poor crop- seems under-ground critters liked them lots of bug marks- so this year I will use them to grow a new crop only I am going to try the 5 gal. method and let those pesky critters I win!! I may even experiment with a few bales of stray to plant in.
-->