Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Flowering Shrub

Grocery store produce seeds

Hi everyone.....me again. haha
Does anyone else here save vegetable seeds from grocery store produce?
I do....and I'm not ashamed.
I like the idea of having a virtually endless supply of veggie seeds to propagate,then give away.
Late last winter I grew a squash seed in an egg shell and gave it to a friends son. He was amazed. I mean come on...what 8 year old doesn't think a plant in an egg shell isn't fun. haha
So that's it. Now you know. If anyone ever sees that I have veggie seeds for trade, they are probably from the grocery store produce we buy.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Tree

Originally Posted by pinkham View Post:
Hi everyone.....me again. haha
Does anyone else here save vegetable seeds from grocery store produce?
I do....and I'm not ashamed.
I like the idea of having a virtually endless supply of veggie seeds to propagate,then give away.
Late last winter I grew a squash seed in an egg shell and gave it to a friends son. He was amazed. I mean come on...what 8 year old doesn't think a plant in an egg shell isn't fun. haha
So that's it. Now you know. If anyone ever sees that I have veggie seeds for trade, they are probably from the grocery store produce we buy.
I've only tried planting avacodo, & fruit seeds. I compost everything else. What other type of veggies seeds besides the squash, do you collect? Have you tried to plant these same seeds yourself? And if so, did they grow. I bought a papya a new weeks back, to try (since I recently obtained 5 small starter trees); wasn't sure what they were like so had to try one). Have never seen seeds like those before; left them on counter (because that same thought); crossed my mind.
However I had planned to dump them into my compost; & see what grows.
I forgot about them and left them set too long and they molded.
So no; I haven't but have to admit have thought about it.

Since I'm trying to get a plantswap started around work; I've been taking a plant here & there trading with a few people. I made several baskets of starter plants for a coworker
's 7yr oldr because after she took home several plants after a recent plant sale - & her son told her he wanted to start a cactus garden; so he now helps her take care of about 14 new little plants. I think see is beginning to enjoy gardening/swapping as well.

Last edited by Cathy Kantowski; 08-09-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
Thats how I got my dill and fennel seeds, grow cantaloup and pumpkin. Hey, why not! The dried chilly pepper didn't do any thing. I did get a avocado to grow once you have to crack the seed.

Check out my swap list!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Sprout

Nothing Wrong With That...

One of my favorite places to look for interesting things to grow is China Town {Now my secret's out / LOL}
I've found all kinds of cool stuff like

Sagittaria Latifolia / Broad Leaf Arrow Head / Wapato
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...77771276bZlFgW

Trapa Bicornis / Water Caltrop / These Are Awesome
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...74956363wgMRNe

Water Chestnuts
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...74201258zmNfpU

To name a few
&
Currently have some 99 cent store Ginger growing

Last edited by Evil_Garden_Gnome; 08-10-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Flowering Shrub

Every thing I have planted has grown. I have tried tomato,bell pepper(orange,red,yellow,green),squash,pumpkin,and some fruit..lemon,orange,melon,and cantaloupe,. I also planted an eye of a red potato. It made a pretty nice houseplant vine
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Flower Garden

I've done it and am doing it. Tomatoes, potatoes, cantaloupes, honeydew, fixing to oot plum pits, peach pits, cherry pits, orange seeds and lemon seeds, going to try a couple pecans too. I've got an avocado that's about 4 feet tall that was started that way. Some folks say that we are wasting our time doing it cause if it's a hybrid they will just come back as the mother plant. So what's wrong with that? Sometimes it really makes me wonder what was so wrong with the mother plants that they had to tinker with it. I like to try thinks just to see if it will grow and what it produces.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Flowering Shrub

I think the same way. To me a bell pepper is a bell pepper. I was told that some veggies and fruits were treated for pests and that rendered the seeds sterile.....that's just not the case. haha
I've never been one to listen.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Tree

last year I had a strange plant come up in a plant I had inside for winter; when I dug it up in spring found out it was a potato (totally forgot) I had stuck a potato eye in it; when I throw the peel in compost i get small potato plants that sprout occasionally So I put them in the garden unfortunately they didn't survive this darn heat/drought we've had. I will be trying more from now on.. thx for tip.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Flower Garden

I think it's a wonderful thing to do, I've got some tomatoes growing and starting to fruit from a really tasty one I got last year.

My sons live in NYC, I may have to send them on a treasure seed hunt in China town I never thought about that before and what a great idea! Those plants you are growing are awesome!

We also have this super tasting corn from a local farm, I'm thinking about getting some and drying it out to see if I can get it grow for me.

When it come to trading them tho, people are concerned about these things~

To know what it is they will be putting time and effort in growing
That the seeds have a high percent of germination and growth
And that the fruit or flower is true to what the package said it is

The main thing when you trade them is just to be up front with where you got the seeds from~like you grew them, you got them in a trade, bought them, or you got the seeds from a fruit in the supermarket, farmers market and so on. If you grew them yourself and they are open pollinated then indicate that also. And if you did, it also will help if you indicate that the seeds did germinate for you, or you have not tried that yet. If you can get the exact name of the fruit or veggie this is a big plus.

People who grow heirloom veggies will most likely not want them due to the concerns about GMO crops. To them knowing the parentage about their seeds is most important. But as you can see there are plenty of people out there who would not mind giving these supermarket seeds a try.

In the end trading is about honesty and building trust from one great gardener to another
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Flower Garden

A small tip on planting the potatoes, as the plant grows taller add more dirt around the plant, the plant will compensate by growing taller and make more potatoes as the roots spread further. It also helps to prevent the potatoes from sun burning, " turning green" on the part that is too close to the top and can get uncovered. Potatoes around here and it gets very hot here and humid. With the possibility of drought all summer, they need move water and dirt added for about the first month or so til well established and then you can start spacing it out til you are just relying on nature. In summer heat tater tops dry up and when they do so they are ready to dig. We have always started planting taters around the end of April or when there is no more threat of frost and harvest typically around last week of July or first couple of weeks of august. Don't worry about the tops dying, just watch and wait for most of the green to be gone if not all, but it really helps with a little of top left to identify where the hills are. Hope this helps some.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Flower Garden

Many of my veggie plants this year are from the compost pile. I had greens coming up in the open compost pile and transplanted them to various parts of the garden. So far the compost pile has produced 4 twenty foot rows of corn (which was sprouted on a couple of old cobs), 2 zucchini plants (which have produced enough zucchini for canning), 2 cucumber plants (small yield so far but still producing), 3 acorn squashes that have about a dozen squashes growing on them, and 4 pepper plants that have also produced fruit. I also planted a couple of potatoes that got away from me and started to grow eyes that I have had to bank 3 times already Ė canít wait to dig them up.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Flower

I had a good cabbage come up out of a cabbage heart i threw out in our back yard one year...the cabbage wasn't buried or anything...just out of thin air lol...we ate that baby!!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Blossom

Hi all,

I recommend a great book calledDon't Throw It, Grow It!. The authors offer advice on how to grow a bunch of exotic fruits and veggies from the grocery aisle. I love this book so much I wrote a review of it.

http://rustyspade.com/dont-throw-it-grow-it/

I've grown avocados, chickpeas, fenugreek, potatoes, yams, garlic, and have gotten tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and peppers from stuff sent to the compost pile.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Flower Garden

That looks like a book I'm gonna have to get! Thanks for sharing it
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Blossom

Hope you enjoy it.
-->