Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Flower Garden

TalkingA Fruit Thread

I love summer fruits....both eating and growing them.

This thread is a place to show your fruits of any kind or to discuss germination and growing methods.

As many years as I've been growing these dwarf pomegranate fruits ("nana" punica granatum), I never get sick of them. This one I shot today, is getting fat and round with a blush of red....

Think I'm just going to send seeds to the people I promised pomegranate cuttings to...better idea. They will produce fruits right away, even when they're grown from seed. You won't have to wait years.

In order to get fruits on my dwarf pomegranate indoors, I have to hand-pollinate the blooms myself with a q-tip or small paint brush. It's so incredibly easy though so don't be intimidated by this process...there's nothing to it. I can teach you how to be a terrific bumble bee!

I'd love to see some shots of other people's fruits and know what fruit you're growing this season.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Flower Garden

sounds good how do you germinate a pomegranate seed
Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Flower Garden

They take a couple months to germinate but they will come up for you. I sow mine in light soil that drains well and I keep a cover over the pot until germination occurs. I use a mist bottle to keep the soil consistently moist.

Once they're up and growing, they develop quickly and begin producing fruits within 3-4 months!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Flower Garden

okay thank you
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Flower Garden

You're welcome.

I don't know about larger pomegranate trees though, Raccoon. I'm only referring to this "nana" dwarf type I grow.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Flower Garden

okay i will see if i can find some later and thank you for the information
Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Flower Garden

My Spanish olives are getting bigger and bigger...

Bet you didn't know olives are a fruit!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Flower Garden

no i did not know olives was a fruit they look very lovely on your tree how long does it take for a tree to produce olives
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Flower Garden

I really couldn't say, Raccoon.

I bought it as a grafted little tree that already had olives on it. It's been developing more fruits though, since it's been in my apartment!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Flower Garden

i remember when you bought it but i did not know if they told you hold he was
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Flower Garden

No, sadly they never tell you how old the tree that the graft came from, was. You just have to be grateful that you've got olives I guess!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Flower Garden

yes i guess that is right they do not tell us either but they sure are pretty when they grow them for you
Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Tree

Since you asked..... We just starting with fruits in last couple yrs

I'm all excited about my soon to be fruit harvest($). Hopefully we might be able to get involved in the local farmers markets.

In Feb2013, we bought 2 grafted fruit tree from local master gardeners annual tree sale. One was a texas republic orange, have not yet gotten any oranges. The other tree was 3 different types of peaches. This past spring the peach tree was loaded with lil baby peaches, but they never fully produced to full size before the darn squirrels stole everyone of them off the tree. Anyone have a huge tree net, you want to get rid of? lol gonna have to get something for next season.

We also had quite a few blackberries, on my 2yr old blackberry plant. The 1yr old blackberry plant has a new set of leaves, hopefully it will be long enough to string through fence by next summer. Both plants came from local swap, summers of 2012 & 2013.
Also see new growth on the baby grapefruit tree, I got at one of the master gardens seminars last summer.

Also, have 2 pineapple tops I am attempting to root, from store bought ones but they still have some green to them, usually it rots.

And a grapevine the lady from the earths creations dirt place gave us last winter, I thought it died during winter, but when things were unloaded from greenhouse this
spring we had new growth on it, glad it is still alive finally got in planted in the ground inside the open greenhouse, it's got several strings of leaves no, that we've started vining through a strip of trellis olong one side of greenhouse.

Grew cantaloupe &watermelon this year, just pulled the 4 melons & ripped them all out of ground today. They seem to just stop growing, and wouldnt get any larger.

A friend from work gave me a small avacodo, doesnt quite look so good right now. I think it needs to be planted in the ground.

Oh,also a few months ago my husbands mom told us a family story about how one of the relatives way back in their younger days had a fig tree and ended up starting little fig trees all over Galveston, and several places on the mainland. His aunt has one of the original fig cuttings from the original tree, owed by greatgreatgreat gm, not sure how many generations it went back, but we got a rooted starter from her. She also had another fig, that was her side of the family, from her greatgreatgm. The tour of the Galveston County MasterGardeners gardens, made me want figs. During the tour, we came to the fruit tree tour, the figs were loaded I asked to pick a few to taste - they didnt mind, bc it was less for them to pick. I picked an arm load, and carried them back to the group so everyone could taste, they were delicious.

Cant wait to have fruit to eat regularly.

Is anyone else invloved in your own local farmers market, gardening club, community garden? I'd love to have a community garden in our town. Might have to try to get one going, they have several in Galv.
HBL, thx for starting this thread. I will get pictures uploaded and posted soon to my growing fruit album.

Your Next...

Last edited by Cathy Kantowski; 07-19-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Flower Garden

You're welcome, Cathy!

Sounds like you've got some wonderful fruits growing! Good luck getting involved with the farmer's market. That would be really cool.

I enjoyed your family story about the figs. No figs quite yet, but I'm growing Chicago Hardy right now and it's thriving!

Looking forward to seeing your pictures soon. Goodnight and chat again soon.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Flower Garden

Here's an apricot seed this morning growing a tail on it! It took over 6 weeks in the fridge to split and germinate! I've kept it in a container and between moist paper towels.

Have two apricot seeds, actually. But the other one is already planted in soil. Waiting for it to emerge. Gonna plant this one today too.

Of course I'll show the little seedling trees when they're both up and growing.
-->

« Figs | fruit trees »