Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Flower Garden

SmileFigs

Is anyone growing figs, want to grow them, or have grown them before? I'd be interested in knowing about other people's fig growing experiences. Or perhaps you're just curious and you want to learn how to grow them.

I brought home this Chicago Hardy Fig tree a few weeks ago and here is how it looked then, after I transplanted it....

Here is my tree this morning! It's turned a luxurious dark green color, thanks to my fertilizing, and it's packing on lots of new growth. Look at that huge happy leaf at the top!

Loving the leaves...

I plan on growing it as a floor plant in my apartment, all year round. It gets plenty of sunlight from the east and south. I'll continue to show it as it grows.

Feel free to post about your fig trees too, or cuttings you've rooted.

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 07-09-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Flower Garden

do not have any fig trees never seen one before but it is really pretty and thank you for sharing with us it is very much appreciated
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Sprout

nice figs

Hi. I see this thread is a tad older, but fig trees are so cool. When I had it indoors it grew super slow and perhaps went dormant, when I had it outside it grew well, then died back and then grew again this season. Unfortunately it is so young now that I fear this winter it will die back completely with our harsh winters. I am contemplating picking up a small variety and growing it indoors yr round (outside on the warmer season), in a pot. the leaves are very unique and nice. Hopefully I'll be able to add more to this thread as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Flower Garden

Well good luck, Tom!

This thread may be older but I started it, to be a place to post ongoing shots of my Chicago Hardy Fig tree that is still growing in my south living room window....slowly but surely. I got it to be more of a floor plant and it has yet to give me some figs. One day, it may grow outdoors.

Certainly others can post their figs here too.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Sprout

those were my thoughts as well, they do grow pretty slowly indoors generally correct? hmm, trying not to spend too much tomorrow, but a nice fig tree would be a good addition, I always enjoyed their leaves
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Flower Garden

Yes, mine is growing slowly indoors....but I have it on the floor, getting light from my south window. I think it would grow much faster if I had it right directly in the window.

Good luck, with whatever you decide on, Tom.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Sprout

Thanks! Keeping busy doing research.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Sprout

here you go. my new Celeste!

My sunroom garden: http://sunroomgardening.blogspot.com
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Tree

I have a new fig also. Heres my photo on pinetrest of them
Figs given to me this past summer, from hubbys aunt. Her fig tree has been part of the families his... - http://pinterest.com/pin/354025220682519680/

Not sure what kind it is, other than its been in family for years, and has been passed down many generations.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Flower Garden

Very nice, Tom! Wonderful that it came with a fruit on it. Enjoy!

Cathy, those look very healthy and the fact they are a family heirloom, makes them even more special!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Tree

Question

Thx HBL,
Since they are planted in the ground, Im' worried about them this winter.
I'll have to be very careful to keep them protected. Same with other fruit trees. Luvkily it doesnt get cold here much, but when it does I dont want to loose them. I may seperate them when they are a bit larger, so I can have one inside house also. How long do you think it will take before fruiting at this stage?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Flower Garden

It depends on so many factors, Cathy. Light being the most important one. I couldn't say when it will fruit indoors. I'll let you know when mine does!

Good luck with yours. The more light you can give it, the better.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Sprout

hi Cathy. To encourage fruiting you need to prune back every year. Most fruit generates on the old branches. so some winter pruning helps a lot, as well as proper fertilizing.

My sunroom garden: http://sunroomgardening.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Flower Garden

Lol...indoors there may not be much to prune! They grow very slowly. Each individual's indoor conditions will greatly affect how their particular fig will grow and determine if it will produce figs or not.

One person could get figs indoors because they have south light, while someone else with the same fig indoors, may not, due to them only being able to offer north or west light. It really all depends.

I should also mention that I once rooted some Atreano fig cuttings in nothing but a glass of water on a sunny south sill. Fig cuttings root like a charm....very easy.

My Chicago Hardy tree has started to branch out but the branches are growing very slowly. Keep in mind too though....my plant isn't directly in the window. It's catching rays in front of a south window but it's a floor plant.

I wasn't serious about producing figs inside when I first bought my tree. I just wanted an ornamental and unusual floorplant to grow over winter. I thought I could grow it indoors for a couple years, then set it outside for summer, if it doesn't bear any fruit in my apartment. We'll see.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

I have thought several times about getting a fig tree..I would love to have one I can grow in ground in my zone 6 but dont know if there is one that hardy. I love figs and would love a dwarf tree for sure.