Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Tree

Fall Garden Zone 6 Missouri

I have decided to grow a fall garden this year in an attempt to prolong our gardening season. I am aware that I can grow cool weather crops such as lettuce, spinach, turnips...I was wanting advice on other things to grow as this will be my first try at it.
Can I grow things such as green beans and peas? What about onions and potatoes? Can't I also plant garlic for next year harvest? Any advice or suggestions would be so helpful!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upFun, Fun, Fun!

Oh how exciting!

Fall gardens are Fabulous!

Ok Gardennerd, I'll do my best to share what I can with you but it may take me a few posts over time....

As for growing peas and beans in Autumn....it depends on two things.

1. Consider how many days until harvest with the varieties you want to grow....because there has to be enough days left for the plants to grow and mature before frost stops everything!

2. How soon you plant ahead in preparation for your fall garden is the ticket to successful harvests before frost hits.

So I would only choose varieties of vegetables that will develop early and not have too many days until harvest. I would also sow the seeds for my fall garden in early July to mid July....which is now! I would get my seeds going early indoors to put out as transplants later. Maybe you've already got some stuff going that you can get into the garden shortly.

Some seeds can be direct-sown in the garden and they will do quite well, but other sensitive types will not and it's better to start them indoors.

As far as what you can grow...

Autumn can produce the best cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower you're ever eaten in your entire life!

Radishes too, grow amazingly fast and can be harvested long into late fall!

And let's not forget about healthy and nutritious mustard greens!

Oh my goodness the list goes on and on...

Carrots are awesome in fall! Potatoes too! Again though....pick early producing varieties.

And don't forget about wonderful and delicious Swiss Chard! Not to mention all the delicious romaines lettuces and garden greens you can grow too!

More soon but I hope this inspires and helps you to get your Fall garden going. Please be sure to show some pictures later too. This will be so fun for you and I wish you well. I've had many successful fall crops in years past, and I know just how rewarding and fun it can be.

Enjoy!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Tree

Well I haven't got anything started by seed yet. I've been waffling back and forth whether or not I would end up extending my season. So will that hinder thing such as broccoli and cabbage? I read that sugar snap peas and Kentucky wonder green beans were good varieties for my zone. I'm not really familiar with what particular potatoes or carrots grow quickly here.
I have loads of butter crunch lettuce and cos island to plant. As I have told you before, I absolutely love spinach but i never can seem to get it to grow for me. My soil is amended and nutrient rich and i have tried giant noble and blooms Dale longstanding and was lucky to get a cool whip dish full at harvest. I also have some Thai greens to plant from Bakers Creek Heirloom Seed Co. As well as Ford hook swiss chard and bright lights.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Flower Garden

What do you mean you can't get spinach to grow for you...at which point do you start to have difficulty? Please explain.

Have you ever tried growing spinach in the Fall? You may have success if you do because it loves the cool weather.

It may be a good idea to contact your local nursery and inquire about which types will do well in the fall there....and they may even have some transplants for you!!! This would be convenient since you're late sowing your seeds. Our nurseries here, often put out a second batch of veggie transplants in early July to early August for people interested in fall harvesting.

I cannot believe I forgot to mention peppers!!!! I'm so embarrassed!

Hot or sweet, they won't let you down and they absolutely LOVE the cool weather. If you grow peppers in pots, you can bring them indoors to a sunny window and they will actually keep producing all winter long. I've been growing peppers indoors for years with total success. Peppers in pots are perfect!

A lot of sweet pepper varieties are compact and small, for example, "purple beauty"....and they won't take up a lot of room inside. Hot pepper plants can be even smaller.

Let us know what you decide on.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Flower Garden

oh and about broccoli and cabbage...

Check with your nurseries for some transplants or get seeds for early-maturing varieties with enough days left until frost to grow them. Always look at the "days until harvest" on the back of the seed packet but note that these days do not start counting from the moment the seed germinates...

The number refers to how many days until harvest, once the plants are put out into the garden as transplants....several weeks after germination. A lot of people don't know this and start counting right after germination occurs but this is incorrect.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Tree

When I plant my spinach it takes forever to germinate! Then by the time it germinates it never gets very large. And I can never seem to plant enough to provide more then one clipping. I have never tried ro grow anything in the fall.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Flower Garden

Are you germinating your spinach seeds on your heat mat?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Tree

No I direct sow all my lettuce and spinach.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Flower Garden

Good, glad you don't sprout them on your heat mat because they wouldn't like the warmth. They would likely still germinate but they prefer things on the cooler side.

I always started my spinach seeds indoors on a cool windowsill. Perhaps you might try this...then put the plants out as transplants later, once they get going.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Tree

I may have to try the cold windowsill. Maybe that'll be the trick to successfully growing spinach!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Flower Garden

It works for me Gardennerd, so I bet it works for you too!

Keep us posted.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Tree

Ok so here is what i have gotten together to start planting so far...
Little marvel peas
Kentucky wonder green beans
Butter crunch lettuce
Oak leaf lettuce
Paris cos lettuce
Swiss chard (Ford hook)
Blooms Dale longstanding spinach
Green bell pepper

Small start but it's a start at least.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Flower Garden

I think it's a great start, Gardennerd!

Congratulations on getting started!

Are these seeds or transplants you have?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Tree

All seeds. I looked up on the university of missouri extension website to check last sow dates for my area!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Flower Garden

Smart thinking.

So you'll have plenty of time?
-->