Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Sprout

eating raw beets....

I went out to pull some beets for lunch. To my surprise they looked exactly like radishes so I guess I had planted radish instead of beets. I peeled and ate 3 and that is when I realized they were beets; I had planted the white ones instead of purple as the white are sweeter. Anyhow, after eating 3 raw beets my throat became very sore so I am wondering how safe it is to eat beets raw? I haven't ever heard of it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Flowering Shrub

Everything I googled said that grating raw beets for salads is perfectly edible. I'm thinking you'll be fine-just sore from the texture. I'm not aware of anything allergenic in raw beets vs cooked beets or white vs red. Hope you feel better soon. What a surprise.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Tree

Article by a professor who is writing a book on raw veges,

"Normally when I ate cooked beets, my stool would be red the next morning. There was not complete digestion, with reference especially to the red coloring matter. But when I ate raw beets, there was no red in the stool the next morning.

It is a known fact that ordinary cooking temperatures kill all the enzymes in foods. But when you eat raw beets, with all their enzymes available to aid in their complete digestion, everything is absorbed and used up in the body.

Now here is an astonishing fact: when I began to take dolomite tablets and would eat cooked beets, with their enzymes destroyed, my stool was not red the next morning. Evidently magnesium either has the property of acting in the place of enzymes, or increases the intestinal flora to such an extent that they could do the job of digestion completely by themselves. The ideal situation would be to eat raw beets and take dolomite tablets. I often eat raw beets in thin slices and find them very palatable."

This article is not mine and i just took an exert from a book about it, its about raw veges and digestion and smells, etc,, i found it interesting and appears they wont hurt you . Beth
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Sprout

raw beets won't hurt.....

good article, if anyone knows it should be the professor!
Thanx, ok nurse
Sunny
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Sprout

I will grate some up for salad, they are very sweet. It just never occurred to me to grate beets up for salad,,,,,,apples, turnips, carrots, radish, celery, onion but never beets!
And I am pretty sure you are right about the sore throat, it was due pretty much to the texture. Learned a good thing today!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I eat raw shredded (red/purple) beets in my salads all the time. I don't think I've ever had (or seen) a white beet before.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Sprout

Originally Posted by PlantSwap View Post:
I eat raw shredded (red/purple) beets in my salads all the time. I don't think I've ever had (or seen) a white beet before.

try some next year!

http://www.reimerseeds.com/albino-beets.aspx

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ipe/index.html
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Acorn

raw beets sting

Raw beets make my mouth and throat sting, too. Just ate a little one fresh out of the garden, and my mouth is burning. Different than jalapeno burn, though
:-)

Wonder if it's an enzyme thing. Raw mushrooms used to make my stomach hurt reallly bad. And for several years when I was in my 20's, raw broccoli and cauliflower did the same thing; not any more, though. I read something about an enzyme deficiency awhile back. Apparently my body fixed it.

Joy
Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Acorn

Look up "Oral Allergy Syndrome" on Google. It sounds to me like this is what you have, probably a result of allergies to birch pollen and how similar some of the proteins that makeup beats is to proteins in the pollen of birch trees (or perhaps some other tree, grass or weed). Cooking the food usually destroys those proteins (along with others, of course).

So while having a raw diet of organic fruits and veggies is great, when someone comes on a forum complaining of allergic symptoms only a complete IDIOT would tell them "Oh it's ok" and an only an irresponsible idiot would go so far as to categorically declare "I'm thinking you'll be fine..." Allergies are serious people. Just because you have fingers and can type doesn't make you a medical expert. The next time someone complains of an allergic reaction, try telling them to keep a list of the foods that do it and discuss them with their doctor, preferably an Allergist.

>.<
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Acorn

This is nice to know. I am in love with beets and didn't know one can actually eat it raw.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Flowering Shrub

I may have said it a little gentler, but yeah, that.

I am allergic to strawberries, I mean seriously 'get to a hospital' allergic. I don't know if you know this but things strawberry scented contain actual strawberry oil, just being touched with it gives me a giant swelled, itchy welt.
It took me 3mths of pricks & pokes, tests & ER visits to figure out that the scented strawberry shortcake house I got for xmas was the reason. In those 3mth 8+ 'doctors' said "oh, it's fine, I wouldn't worry. it's just a rash on her hands"

Originally Posted by virginiafarmer View Post:
Look up "Oral Allergy Syndrome" on Google. It sounds to me like this is what you have, probably a result of allergies to birch pollen and how similar some of the proteins that makeup beats is to proteins in the pollen of birch trees (or perhaps some other tree, grass or weed). Cooking the food usually destroys those proteins (along with others, of course).

So while having a raw diet of organic fruits and veggies is great, when someone comes on a forum complaining of allergic symptoms only a complete IDIOT would tell them "Oh it's ok" and an only an irresponsible idiot would go so far as to categorically declare "I'm thinking you'll be fine..." Allergies are serious people. Just because you have fingers and can type doesn't make you a medical expert. The next time someone complains of an allergic reaction, try telling them to keep a list of the foods that do it and discuss them with their doctor, preferably an Allergist.

>.<

Last edited by mintygirl; 09-27-2011 at 06:03 PM..
-->