Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc

Wild Game discussion

We are all making eachother hungry, lol! Too bad you are so far away, Tess, I could make dinner for us sometime! Last week was mustard greens, with onions, garlic, bacon, and cornbread muffins...yum!! Oh, and deer tenderloin too! Does anyone here hunt/eat game? I ate whatever lived in the woods as a kid. We didn't have a lot of money, and daddy always hunted to put food on the table. I am going to get back to that, too. I have more faith in what God raised that what is in a package at the store.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Flower Garden

Yeah castle, we eat wild game, my brother and my sons hunt. My daddy, and my brother, hunted when I was a kid. We ate quail, squirrel, dove, (dove I don't care much for cause it's real dark meat) deer, pheasant and wild turkey. I'm sure there's something I'm missing. One of the best meals in the world is wild turkey fried like you would chicken. Oh my gosh, it's amazing.

We went on a trip in high school to NYC, they took us to some fancy restaurant, the waiter was doing he recommendations and I died laughing when he said quail was the specialty that evening. He told me I should try it, lol, I just looked at him and laughed again, he grumbled something under his breath. Me being the smart ass that I was and am, looked at him and told him I eat quail on a regular basis, and besides I would never pay 26 dollars for 6 quail cause that was enough to even get started on. Also asked him if he wanted me to show him how to dress one out where ya didn't get feathers on the meat. He didn't like me very much cause it got everybody laughing at him.

Just had to share that,lol. It would be great castle to get together to eat but we would have to meet in the middle of the state to do it and where the heck would we cook at? Lol,
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Blossom

Lol, Tess...I do the same thing, telling people what I know! It is so funny to see the look on a man's face when he doesn't expect a country girl!We used to raise rabbits purely for slaughter when I was 3-4 yrs old...I would go into the barn with my daddy and watch him tie the hind legs to the rafters, bop them over the head and dress them. I would ask him to keep the eyeballs, because I was so little, I thought they were the same as marbles, lol!! Good times! I didn't want to waste a good marble!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Flower Garden

Ya get a few strange looks when ya ask them if they want to learn how to skin a squirrel too, lol. My best time was like 30-45 seconds or so. Daddy made a game out of it so I would and could do it. Still can probably ain't that fast no more but guess all that's important is that I still can
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Tree

Castle you have me

Marbles huh, lol
we always wanted the lucky rabbits foot, never eyeballs.
Did he really let you keep the eyeballs, for marbles?

Tess, I could see that happening in a restaurant and you showing up the waiter. Bet he waasnt pleased.

I stumbled over a recipe the other day on pinterest, which was for roasted cabbage, it had bacon chips sprinkle on it, looked yummy.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Flower Garden

Yep Cathy he got pissed, especially when the rest of the group picked up on what I was doing, I think the whole restaurant staff was ready to see a bunc of 15-17 yr. Old from NC that were very much giant pests. We were disrespectful, well not openly,lol, just having fun. Lol.

Oh, lol, after we left the restaurant we took a walk down 42 st. Just for pure devilment, everyone started singing "just a swimgin'" by johm Anderson, we really had people laughing and had so much fun doing it. Oh, all of us were off key and that made it even funnier. I loved that trip.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Blossom

Lol, Cathy!! Daddy never let me keep them, I never COULD figure out why! Tess, your trip sounds like mine to D.C....I think it has something to do with setting a bunch of country kids lose in a big city!!
-->