Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Bush

What kind of receipies do you prefer?

Im corious (due to someone INSISTING because that's there preference it MUST be everyone else's as well)

Would you prefer recepies that are "artificial health" as I call
--these often include aspartame sucralose or similar such things (sweeteners that come to mind) things which on researching the ingredients you may find known carcnigens (that the FDA calls "safe to eat")

Or would you prefer real health food?
--these are more inclined to include things like real sugar molasses flour --stuff that you can grow what its from (what I try to gear my recepies to)

Or is there something else you would like to see?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Skype™ to Cactinae
As for sugar substitutes that I can and do grow I stick to stevia. As for recipes go if I don't like certain items I omit and or replace with something I do like. Of course I like my recipes the best cause I make them and I can list only the best.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Bush

Lol but yea I'll OFTEN make tweaks to things I make and I have a blast with it too

But I think that comes with being a good cook
Old 11-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Bush

Somtimes for a sugar substitute, i'll use honey.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Bush

Another vote for "it's really healthy" rather than "artificial" here.

I'm blessed in that I have access to a really staggering array of specialty flours, which means I can bake with quinua, golden pea, good whole wheat, and blue corn if I so wish.

I use Panela in place of white death - panela being the simple reduced cane juice. It's much better for you, all full of minerally goodness (and better tasting to boot). In some recipes, I'll also use honey or stevia, and in a few breads that can handle the robustness of the flavour, blackstrap molasses.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Bush

Wow lorax!

Hey lol what do you personally think of agave juice? I've heard emeril lagasse say it's good use it (a chef I like) and I've heard that its not natural and isnt right --or is it kinda like tofu/soy in a way? (not healthy/good if cheap but ok when watched)
Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Bush

I actually have access to both agave syrup and reduced agave panela; I like them in limited applications (to sweeten sour fruit juices for example, or in teriyaki sauces where I'd normally use true panela) but I wouldn't use them in baked goods because the flavour is too alien - "fresh rain" doesn't really work well with chocolate. It's a true sucrose-type sugar, though, so if you're cooking for diabetics it's just as bad as the white death.

I'm actually ravingly fond of fresh-expressed agave syrup cut heavily with water - it's incredibly refreshing that way, and actually quite healthy because freshly pressed it has the same electrolyte balance as "sports drinks" like Gatorade. Just naturally, instead, which is always going to win out with me. On its own, there is a distinct "fresh rain" flavour which is very unique and which you'll either love or hate.

And of course if you use the right kind of Agaves, you can make Tzawar Mishqui, which is a fermented strong beer of agave juice with lime and cinnamon. That's hands-down delicious and the best use of the juice I can think of.

On the alternative sweeteners track, I also use maple sugar in some things, which is absolutely fantastic, and if you have more than limited access to it, I'd recommend checking it out.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Tree

I prefer the artificial NutraSweet. and normal unhealthy recipes.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Bush

Skay do me a favour and YouTube nutrasweet (you'll be shocked!)

I may have to try maple sugar lorax it sounds good --as does the fresh agave stuff (I have a sobe pure next to me that uses rebiana a it's good I think)
-->