Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Flower Garden

Shared Recipes

This will be a thread to post your recipes and copy other people's too.

I make ham and cabbage soup in the fall, to freeze for my freezer. Thought I'd share my own homemade recipe in case someone is interested in making it too.

Others should feel free to post their recipes here too for anything food related....including baked goods. All are welcome.

HAM & CABBAGE SOUP

Ingredients:

5 gallon pot
1 large picnic ham with the bone in
1 large onion
1 large turnip
8 large potatoes of your choice
1 small bag of carrots
1 large green cabbage
black pepper
1 large bay leaf
parsley (optional)

METHOD:

Boil your ham for 10 minutes before dumping the first batch of water off and refilling with fresh water a second time....or your soup broth will be disgustingly salty and therefore ruined. Be sure to follow this important 1st step and your broth will be amazing.

You won't need to add any salt to this soup because there will be enough from the ham.

Once you've boiled off the salt for 10 minutes and dumped the salty water completely off, you're then going to boil your ham for one hour on medium heat with half of your large onion, leaving the pot partially covered and stirring every once in awhile. Make sure the heat isn't too high so your ham doesn't get scorched on the bottom.

While your ham is boiling, you have time to prepare the veggies and get them ready to add to the broth when it's done.

After an hour passes, your broth is made. You will add your spices later but for now, remove the meat from the hot broth. I put mine in a colander so it can cool. Some of the meat should have come away from the bone. You want the meat to cool before you add bite size pieces back into your broth with the other half of your large onion and your spices too.

Then you also add your bite-size veggies to your pot...except for the cabbage because that gets added in the last 10 minutes before the soup is done. I usually shred my cabbage but you might prefer your pieces to be a little larger. Remember that this is a soup, although you can feel free to add or subtract things from my recipe to fit your personal tastes.

I usually simmer on medium heat for about 30 to 40 minutes until the veggies are cooked but not soggy.

Then just cool and enjoy! I like to add a little mustard into my soup bowl for added flavor to the ham and cabbage but this is optional. Parsley too.

Any fat on your soup will surface to the top by morning if you leave it overnight, and you can skim it all off like I do, before adding the homemade soup to your freezer. There should be minimal fat however. This soup is hearty and delicious. Anyone who's ever tasted it, raved on and on about it. It's excellent throughout the cold months.

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 08-10-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Tree

Send a message via Yahoo to LetItGrow
Chipotle Honey Sweet Potato Wedges
1 Tablespoon olive oil or non-stick spray
2 lbs. sweet potatoes
½ cup honey
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2-3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, according to taste*
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco (optional)

directions

step 1
Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with foil. Coat with olive oil
or spray with nonstick spray.
step 2
Peel sweet potatoes. Cut lengthwise into quarters. Cut into ½ inch
wedges. Place in a gallon size Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bag; set aside.
step 3
Blend honey, orange juice and chipotle chilies until smooth in a
blender container. Pour into Zippy bag with sweet potatoes.
Seal and shake gently to coat evenly. Remove sweet potatoes from
bag and place on foil-lined baking tray, reserving
chipotle honey glaze.
step 4
Roast 15 minutes; turn and brush with glaze. Bake 10 to 15 minutes
longer or until fork – tender. Remove from oven and brush with
remaining glaze. Top with cilantro and queso fresco, if desired.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upThanks Lig! Love sweet potatoes!

Making a batch of these these up morning with fresh blueberries. They're my most favorite muffins of all.

Here's my recipe...

BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups bran flakes or buds
1 cup milk (nonfat optional)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (or 2 ) cup blueberries

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together bran and milk, and let sit for about 5 or 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries and scoop into muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and enjoy!

Muffins freeze amazingly, by the way. These are low-fat muffins but you can substitute butter or oil for the applesauce if you prefer. You can also add more sugar if my recipe isn't sweet enough for you.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Flower Garden

I like mine plain with orange pekoe tea.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Flower Garden

Ok here is another one of my own personal recipes...

BEEF & BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW

Ingredients:

1 large package of stewing beef
1 large red onion
bag of baby red and white potatoes
bag of baby carrots
1 large butternut squash with deep outside coloring
1 small bag of long green string beans
2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour to thicken
salt & pepper
2 cups homemade beef stock or canned beef broth
1 large bay leaf
boiled water

METHOD:

In a large pot, cook your stewing beef until it is deeply browned, adding the onions near the end of cooking. Then add enough boiled water to cover the beef and then some....while still leaving enough room to add your veggies but not overflow your pot.

Also add your homemade beef stock or canned beef broth....whatever you have on-hand. I usually fill my pot about 3/4's full of water.

Boil your beef, onions, spices, and broth for about 30 minutes, on medium heat, half covered, after adding your salt and pepper, bay leaf...and any other desired spices you may wish.

Next, add your bite size pieces of baby potatoes and carrots, cut into halves. Add your small cut pieces of butternut squash as well...but your cut pieces of green beans won't be added until the final 10-15 minutes of cooking...because you don't want you veggies to be soggy.

In a jar with a lid, place 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour, and then fill the jar half full of water. Shake the living daylights out of the jar so there are no lumps. You don't want lumps in your stew. Then pour the corn starchy liquid very slowing into the stew while stirring. This will thicken your broth to a more stew-like consistency.

Then let your delicious stew sit for 15 minutes off the stove before serving with crusty French bread and real butter. Enjoy.

Note: The darker you brown your meat, the darker and more flavourful your stew broth will be.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Tree

Send a message via Yahoo to LetItGrow
I cook something almost identical in my crock pot. It's a good hearty meal for those cold winter months. The next day it taste even better
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Flower Garden

We've been having such an unusually cool summer, that a number of dishes I'd normally be making in the fall, are being made now. Here's another classic favorite of mine...

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

INGREDIENTS:

2 cans of tomato sauce
I can of tomatoes with herbs
1 quart cherry tomatoes
3 chicken breasts
3 chicken legs with thighs attached
1 onion
3 different colored bell peppers
1 large zucchini
Italian herb seasoning (optional)
oregano
basil
2 cloves garlic (optional)
chili peppers (optional)
pinch of rosemary (optional)

METHOD:

In a deep rectangular baking dish, bake your skinless chicken pieces on 375F for 45 minutes. Then wipe your chicken pieces with clean paper towel to remove the excess grease. Wipe out your dish too before placing your chicken pieces back....so your sauce won't be greasy.

Pour your tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and desired spices over your chicken. Then add your onions, peppers, and zucchini, cut in strips. Add your cherry tomatoes cut in half. Cover your baking dish with tinfoil but make a few air holes for steam to release. Bake at 325 to 350 Fahrenheit for 45 to 60 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving over your favorite pasta.

Enjoy!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Flower Garden

you posted that somewhere else didn't you it is a very good recipe but i have not made it yet as do not have the ingredients until i get paid again
Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Flowering Shrub

Talking

This is the best for green beans that I have tried, very good, though I do put the dried onions on top!

Green bean casserole

One bite and you will never go back to the "old way" of making green bean casserole ever again. No "cream of something" soup in this baby. This recipe is much better than the standard mushroom soup and French fried onion version.

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white sugar or splenda
1/4 c onion, diced
1 c sour cream
(3)14.5 oz. can(s) French style green beans, drained
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c crumbled buttery round crackers
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

~SkyGreen bean casserole. One bite and you will never go back to the
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Flower Garden

that sounds like a lot better green bean casserole my husband did not like the cream of something soup one
Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Flower Garden

This sounds delicious, Vette Lover!!!

Thanks, Raccoon.

Yes, I did post the chicken cicciatore in the chat thread but it was a little different. I usually never make a dish the same and always have variations of the same recipe.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Flower Garden

okay thank you for letting me know that
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Flowering Shrub

Talking

I make the whole batch and freeze the left overs for busy days

Meat Pies

2 lb. hamburger meat
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 TBS of Worcestershire sauce
1 pkt dry onion soup mix
2 cans of Biscuits, 10 per can
1 tsp. pepper
1 can chopped green chilies

Preheat oven to 350*
Brown and drain hamburger. In medium bowl mix hamburger and rest of ingredients (reserve 1/4 cup cheese for tops). Add a HEAPING spoonful of meat mixture to a flatten biscuit. Roll up and seal edges as best you can. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes till golden brown.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Flower Garden

So simple and easy, Vette Lover! Sounds delicious!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Flower Garden

it sounds very good vettelover
Closed Thread
-->