Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Flowering Shrub

Pistachio Cherry Sandwich Cookies

Copied from Vegetarian Times (OMG THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!)

The dough for these decadent cookies can be made up to two days ahead and chilled until ready to use. Feel free to try different jams and spreads in the center or cut the cookies into holiday shapes. For a lower calorie option, skip the filling and serve the cookies as singles, rather than sandwiches.

1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 T. lemon juice
3 cups all purpose flour
2 t grated lemon zest
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 cups cherry preserves

1.) process pistachios in food processor for about a minute, until they're finely ground. Transfer to a bowl & set aside.

2.) Cream butter & sugar in food processor 30 seconds, or until fluffy. Add egg and lemon juice; pulse 15 seconds or until combined. Scrape down. Add pistachios, flour, lemon zest, baking powder & salt. Pulse 15 seconds more, or until combined & dough starts to clump together. Divide dough in half, flatten into 2 discs, wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm.

3.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out 1 dough disk on sheet of lightly floured parchment paper, until it's about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer parchment & dough to cookie sheet & cover with plastic wrap. Place in freezer 5 to 8 minutes to firm up.

4.) Cut cookies with 2 inch round cutter (or whatever shape you want), and place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Reroll scraps & repeat. Bake 12 minutes, or until edges are golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough disk.

5.) Spread 1 T cherry preserves on each of 24 cookies. Top with remaining cookies.

Per Cookie: 248 calories, 4 g protein, 11.5 g total fat (5.5 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 29 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 19 g sugar.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

onyx

Sure sounds different, but I work single and double shifts, just don't have time to get into baking. Do you bake alot? I am getting lucky if I make a home cooked meal. And of course I am hearing about how much time I spend on the puter! But this is the only place I go, what gives? I had to fess up to honey that I guess I have gotten hooked! HaHa!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Flowering Shrub

i'm sorry you have to work so much poor girl!! i used to bake quite a bit. haven't been doing much of anything lately, though. mom's a cake decorator & i used to help her bake cakes & she liked mine, because they always came out pretty even.. i expanded to making cookies, pies, breads & stuff like that.. i make some awesome challa bread & can braid it in just about any way it's normally braided. lol i used to bake that before every shabbat! i can also make normal breads & cakes & stuff & can also bake vegan stuff.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

onyx

I taught myself cake decorating somewhat from wilton cake books. I made my daughter pretty cakes when she was little and a few for other occasions, but lost interest. Now I am learning other crafts as I have time!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Acorn

Hi, Onyx. New to the forum, I discovered you all by doing a google search for that cookie recipe, which I had seen in Veg Times at the library earlier this week.

Luck me to have found the recipe but also this interesting site!

I am actually going to bake those cookies for my kids when they get home from college in a couple of weeks.

That "248 calories per cookie" business is hilarious ... like I'm really just going to eat one, you know?

Anyway, hello from Plano Texas and thanks for reprinting that recipe. Will let you know how they come out, but I don't see what could possibly go wrong!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Tree

welcome robo

This is a wonderful site,, the greatest,, I love the folks,, the game,s,, friends, contests, swaps,, it is the best,, and welcome,, blessings,, beth,, we love to share, swap,a nd do lots of other fun things,, contests, calendars, cookbook,, birthday and caring clubs,, post your wants and needs and get to swapping,and welcome,,blessings,,b eth
Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
Beth's right, best site out there! This recipe sound delicious, going to have to try this one.
-->