Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Tree

SmileMorel season is coming - need recipies

I can't see them cause I am colorblind but I can smell them a mile away. My husband has superman eyes and can spot them from a mile away. We make a pretty good pair cause I can smell them and lead him to them and he can see them to pick them. I could spend the whole day in the woods hunting those scrumptious babies!

I always fry them up and make a meal outta them.

I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes to cook them other ways too? I would like to try different ways of cooking and eating them.

It would also be nice to see how many people are already finding them now and see some pics too!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

yes they are a wild mushroom we have them around here also..they are yummy!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Acorn

Of course my eye sight is terrible, but when we hunt for them, i'm always the last one in line, they all walk over them and not see them. Next thing you will here is me saying, "I found one!". haha. BUT....i don't like to eat them. More for the rest of ya to eat
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Flower Garden

I've never went mushroom hunting, they may grow here but I'm not gonna tempt timber rattlers for mushrooms. They are ready out and about here, a little sluggish when it's cool but still out.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Flower Garden

I love the morel mushrooms and look for them every spring. They are not out here yet but when they are, I will be ready for them. Donít have any special recipes for them Ė just fry them up in butter and eat away.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Blossom

Here is one I have made.
Morels
Real Butter
Green Onion Chopped
1/2 C. white wine
dash salt

Saute all ingred. for about 8 mins. Except Wine. Using a slotted spoon take out the mushrooms and onion. Add wine and reduce to half add the mushrooms and onions back to it and just before you turn off the heat add a little heavy cream. Serve over pasta.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Tree

Originally Posted by bzmom5 View Post:
Here is one I have made.
Morels
Real Butter
Green Onion Chopped
1/2 C. white wine
dash salt

Saute all ingred. for about 8 mins. Except Wine. Using a slotted spoon take out the mushrooms and onion. Add wine and reduce to half add the mushrooms and onions back to it and just before you turn off the heat add a little heavy cream. Serve over pasta.
OOOOH! That sounds so good! I am for sure gonna try that!

I can't wait to go hunting! I will post pics if we find any this year. I wish morel season was alot longer than it is. Some people around my area have been finding the small black ones already!

I don't think I would be into hunting if I had to deal with those snakes eitherTess! Wow!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Sprout

toms, i want to go find some, what do i look for, undercover? wet ground..dry ? a
..front royal area ? if i find a gallon i'll share with you.
lilikoi
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Tree

They usually pop up after a good storm. They are in the woods. You have to look real hard for them cause they blend in so well. They would be under leaves, around a dead ash tree, the south or east side of a hill. That's where we find them here anyway. Make sure you google morel mushrooms before you go hunting cause there are some look alike fungi out there that look similar to the morels but they are poisonous.

There are myths here that says the thunder makes them pop up and if you are hunting them look in the same spot in a circle cause alot of people believe that your footsteps will make them pop up also.

If you find them in snow, don't eat them. There is something about them being in the snow that will make you sick.

That is the best way I can describe. My husband had to teach me alot about them cause I had no clue about them when we first met. I like to take my father in law with us cause when we do we can usually get a five gallon bucket full cause he always knows the best places to go.

Oh, if you go mushroom hunting always ask permission on someone else's property just like if you would go deer hunting or any kind of hunting. We usually share our find with the property owners too. We have alot of state ground around our property so we go there alot cause anyone can go on state ground in Indiana. Make sure you look up your state's laws before hunting to see if it's open to the public to go mushroom hunting.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Tree

My brother in law came over today and showed us pic of the mushrooms he found this morning. He found three. Of course he didn't bring the actual mushrooms over.... If he did I woulda had to steal them and run!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Sprout

THANK YOU !!!
appreciate your "morel" advice. hope they will last until this
weekend.
lilikoi
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Tree

I hope you find some!
-->