Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Hummus (first time)

I have been looking for new ways to eat the raw veggies and thing I can make that will fill me up and still be healthy for me. So tonight i made some hummus for the first time. I have never had it or made it before.

Ingredients were...
1 can chick peas(garbonzo beans)
2 celery stalks broken into pieces
4 gloves roasted garlic
2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cilantro
Juice from half a lemon
1 teaspoon sesame seeds.

Put all ingredients in a food processor and run to the desired consistancy. I know ther are a lot of ways you can make hummus so i just used a basic recipe and added my own little touches to it. To my delight it came out VERY GOOD! This can be used as a chip dip, on cracker, or spread on toast..yummy stuff! its really good with avacodo in it I have heard..I have to get some and try

Last edited by RiverRock; 01-27-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Bush

Yum! i love hummus onebof my fave dips...and with pita chips super yum!
super easy to make! good girl RR eattin ur veggies ..you could also throw in some of ur roasted garlic and have roasted garlic hummus....mmm now i want some hehe
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

I did put in the roasted garlic, 4 cloves of it..I like garlic a lot. I want to get some pita chips to have with this now..lol
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to Star

here ya go RiverRock

Ceviche
The first time I made ceviche, I was amazed. I could actually see the lemon and lime juice turning the color of the fish from translucent pink to opaque white. The acid from the limes and lemons change the structure of the proteins in the fish, essentially “cooking” the fish without using heat. I love ceviche rolled up in a freshly cooked, still warm corn tortilla with lettuce, tomato and avocado
Preparation time: 15 minutes to prepare, 3-4 hours to let sit. Always use the freshest fish possible. Make the same day you purchase fresh fish.
Ingredients
2 lbs of firm, fresh red snapper fillets (or other firm-fleshed fish), cut into 1/2 inch pieces, completely deboned
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 cup of chopped fresh seeded tomatoes
1 serrano chili, seeded and finely diced
2 teaspoons of salt
Dash of ground oregano
Dash of Tabasco or a light pinch of cayenne pepper
Cilantro
Avocado
Tortillas or tortilla chips
Method
In a non-reactive casserole dish, either Pyrex or ceramic, place the fish, onion, tomatoes, chili, salt, Tabasco, and oregano. Cover with lime and lemon juice. Let sit covered in the refrigerator for an hour, then stir, making sure more of the fish gets exposed to the acidic lime and lemon juices. Let sit for several hours, giving time for the flavors to blend.

During the marinating process the fish will change from pinkish grey and translucent, to whiter in color and opaque.
Serve with chopped cilantro and slices of avocado with heated tortillas for ceviche tacos or with tortilla chips.
This recipe is a staple in Mexico. Raw seafood is cooked by the lime juice! Now don't wrinkle your nose! You would never know the seafood was not cooked prior to serving. Make sure to always use the freshest ingredients! You may substitute many types of seafood for scallops, for example: halibut, red snapper, flounder, swordfish,catfish,talapia,shrimpsamlmon,canned tuna or mackrel.You can use canned chicken or turkey.

Dawn,Star's caregiver.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Bush

Hummus is my choice for lunch most days. Put a dollop of hummus on a plate and make a dent with the spoon. Add a small spoonfull of sour cream, then a few spoons of your favorite salsa. Scoop it up with any chip you like. It's fast, easy, and there's only two things to wash.

My last attempt at homemade hummus didn't go well, but RR I will roast up some garlic and try your recipe. Thanks, it looks great.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

Carmelita thanks for the tips with the hummus...there is just so much you can do with it, next time i make it i am going to try some sweet peppers in it also.

Star thaks for the recipe but there is no way I will ever eat raw fish..lol it looks very interesting though.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to Star
I'm sorry,I thought I posted that after it sit's it is no longer raw,I will try in the future to make myself more clear,still trying to learn all the bells and whistles here.
Dawn
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Your doing fine...but to me anything that is not cooked is raw, it may be in a differant form but its still raw and still has the potential for bacterials and things that can be deadly. Lemon and lime and other acid veggies will not kill these bacterias. Epecially when meat sits for while..any kind of meat, that can be a very dangerous game to play.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

spread this hummus on whole wheat toast today for lunch..was really good! Just a little tip on the bread..if it does not say 100% whole wheat it is NOT..just becuse it says whole wheat does not mean it is..look at the ingredients..if it has more names in that you cant pronounce dont get it! Look for one that says 100% whole wheat and has a short list of ingrdeiants that you can recognize as food. I get one made by Sara Lee and its pretty good..It 100% whole wheat with honey.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Bush

Use hummus instead of mayo on most sandwiches.
Add hummus to you devilled egg mixture
Heck, just stick in a spoon and eat hummus like a lolly pop

But hey, River I just re-read your recipe. There is no tahini in yours?
I usually add some tahini.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

I have not been able to get the tahini yet i want to try it when I can find it. Were i live we are very limited in our health items..we dont have a health food store so i have to find and order a lot of stuff. Those are great ideas for the hummus..I will have to try more ways! Thanks for posting this!!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Bush

So, you don't have a Jewish section in the grocery store? There is usually canned tahini there. PM me your address, I will mail you some tahini, just to keep you healthy.

Hey, just River now, not everyone who's reading this post!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Thank sweetie your so kinds..hehehe
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Blossom

Hummus

River,
I have several hummus recipes if you want them. Let me know and I will get them to you.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

that would be great post them on here if you want..then we can all share in them