Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Edibles > Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Flower

!!!!! reading this I have suddenly got so hungry lol...nice and interesting conversation to read...I'm a southerner and have always wondered if you could cook lettuce...seems i remember my grannie making some kind of rolls with lettuce like a cabbage roll thingy kinda...but i can't remember for sure...i kept meaning to check and see what all can be done with lettuce but i get sidetracked also...thanks for making me think of this again ya'll
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Flower Garden

Callanh, is right. The only way I've ever saw it fixed is with bacon or sausage grease and cooked quickly. It's pretty good and this is coming from the person who hates collards, mustard, salat. I basically eat my greens raw. I love spinach raw but won't touch it cooked except in dip.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Flower

hahaha Tess I finally found something we don't have in common lol...I love most all greens, especially collards, mustard, and salad!!!...and my collards and mustards and most other greens are usually cooked in some kind of pork grease lol...i do eat baby spinach raw in salads...i guess i need to start eating more "fresh" raw greens to start off on a healthier new year
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Flower Garden

Lol, I just got ruined on the blame things by being forced to eat the nasty crap when I was a kid. Lol, an older cousin worked in our lunchroom when I was little and she made me eat cooked collards, lol, they didn't stay down long. The cabbage roll thing I've tried and liked but I cant remember what all was in it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Flower Garden

Here's a recipe for ya. I head of cabbage scored I'm 8-10 places down about half way of the head, so it dont fall apart before you cook it. Take a whole stick of real butter and giblets of bacon, I like a lot of them. Oh if the cabbage is real big use more butter. Put it in aluminum foil, make sure the butter is framed down in the cabbage good and the bacon too. I add salt pepper and a little cayenne. Seal it up. Bake it on 425-500 depending on size for a minimum of an hour and a half. The bigger it is it will take longer. You will know it's done by kinda squeezing in on the foil with your mitts on and if it feels soft like it's done. It's amazing. Lol, fixed it for church one night the kids wiped it out before the grown ups even tasted it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Flower

That sounds absolutely yummy ... Gonna definitely try that one...sounds easy enough to do too <<<----- insert rockin cabbage lol
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc
Wilted lettuce must be a country thing, because no one I know has ever heard of it except for me, lol! A stape in a southern kitchen is an empty coffee can that you collect your bacon grease in, just for stuff like that. You would think that they way the older generations ate that they would be a case study in heart disease, but they were the healthiest people I have ever met...all living into their 90's, no problem, still working the land and sharp as tacks! I think they knew something we don't...I always like to listen to those who have the results I am after, lol! I will have to try the baked cabbage...that sounds wonderful! I have two recipes of my own that the kids beg me to make...fried cabbage. I just take the cabbage, slice and dice it, and fry it in some butter till soft. It's naturally sweet, and melts in your mouth! The other I call "pan bread". I just take a glassful of flour, a little less than a glassful of milk, and two eggs and mix. Preheat a cast iron skillet with butter in the oven (it has to be cast iron, doesn't come out right if it isn't) and when the butter is melted, pour in the mix. It fluffs up, gets a beautiful golden brown crust, a little crunchy on the bottom. I have to hide it from the kids or they will eat only that for supper! I have also played with the recipe, and it's fun and delicious to add your favorite pizza toppings, pepperoni, olives, cheese, etc...add to the batter, (no sauce, though), then slice and serve with sauce on the side. Delicious!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Flower Garden

I love fried cabbage! Yum, it's so good. Along with a bowl of pintos, chopped up onion, soupy taters and a big cake of corn bread, now that's a great meal to me. Dang, now I'm craving it and have to go work at the church so no fixing it today. Oh, yeah, apple pie as desert, I mean cobbler not the fancy ones,lol. This was dinner (lunch) often when I was a kid. Ya had to have a full belly to go back out and work the garden
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Flower Garden

Oh the pintos seasoned with fat back, is a have to. Lol,
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Tree

Sounds good. I am not a cabbage person really other than getting it with a kfc meal. My neighbor makes a fried cabbage dish for New years, he always bring us over a plate of food, I look forward to his cabbage, it had bacon & onions in it.. Yum..

Gonna have to try that panbread recipe.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

I am really enjoying seeing the recipies everyone uses or had as a kid.

I am going to try the stuffed baked cabbage and the fried cabbage... I am trying to eat healthy so will make my own modifications but it sounds really good. I dont eat any port anymore so bacon anything is out for me..but it does sound good...I loved bacon when i ate it..lol
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Flower Garden

RiverRock, you see what you went and started: You made us all hungry and now I am off to the grocery store to buy some cabbage so I can make a big pot of Polish Golabki. My mouth is watering already.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Flower Garden

Oh try adding crushed red pepper to your fried cabbage, it's awesome.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

LOL...Swampy i love it! its neat to get conversations like this going. I am on a 3 day detox diet right now but come Monday i am going to get a nice big head of cabbage Not sure what way i will cook it yet but probably the stuffed and baked way.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi all, just popping in to say that several posts have been moved over into a new thread > Wild Game discussion.
Hoping that suits everyone by keeping this discussion more "on-topic", while that discussion can also continue.

-->