Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Acorn

Shipping a Citrus Tree

Hello,

I live in New York City and would like to ship a citrus tree that I have grown from seed to my parents in Puerto Rico. The tree is at least 10 years old, I'm not even sure if its a lemon or an orange and over the years I've trimmed it back a few times. Its about 3 - 3 1/2 feet tall. Anyhow, I feel sorry for it and "want to set it free". My mother said that if I could somehow get it down to her in Puerto Rico, she'll gladly plant it in the backyard.

Anyone have any pointers on how I should go about doing this? Will Customs even allow it to make the passage?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Flower Garden

They should but double check their website. Here's what I would do, get burlap to wrap with first and a couple of diapers. Descent sized ones. Shake off as much dirt from it as you can, wet thte diapers and place around the roots, wet the burlap and wrap it around the root ball, them place it in a garbage bag that you can tape to secure it to the trunk of the tree. Either make a box to fit it or find one somewhere that will, loosely tie the branches so they will fit into the box, branches pointed upward. With out as much dirt on the root ball it will not be as costly to ship. Its really the wrong time of year for shipping trees but with sufficient moisture it should make it fine. This is very similar to the way I pack small plants and cutting to ship for trades, all survived with no problems. Hope this helps. It maybe be that since puerto Rico is a US protected colony, I guess that what it would be called. It may not have to go through as many regulations as international shipping further abroad. If it's too much to deal with donate it to a hospital or nursing home that has a courtyard or solarium that they use for potted plants. Hope this helps.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Flower Garden

Oh, hey and welcome to plant swap Johnny. Nice to have you with us.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Bush

http://www.saveourcitrus.org/

You might want to check first if it's legal to ship citrus plant to Puerto Rico.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Flower Garden

It is, about the same regulations as send to Canada. I was curious and looked it up.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Bush

Tess,

I found this link:

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/...ts-canada.aspx in plain English for shipping requirements to Canada and it doesn't look easy.

Can you please post a link for the shipping requirements to Puerto Rico? Thanks.

Last edited by carmelita33; 05-29-2013 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: add info and link
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Flower Garden

Sure, here it is.http://nationalplantboard.org/docs/s...uerto_rico.pdf
Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Acorn

Thank you All for the advice. Gosh I had no idea it would be so difficult. An "inspection certificate".. really? I don't even know where to get that!! lol

About five years ago, I flew down to Puerto Rico and took with me on carry on.. four small pandanus plants that grew out of the base of the main plant that I have at home. (not sure of the species). My mom planted three in pots and one directly in the backyard. the three in pots quickly outgrew the pots and turned HUGE but the one planted directly in the earth turned into a gigantic monstrosity of a palm like tree. I couldnt believe it.. Anyhow, the point of my story is that, I didnt have to supply an "inspection certificate".
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Flower Garden

They will give you a certificate if they think it's required at the post office. Yeah, it a pain to send a package out of the the states to anywhere but some countries make it even more difficult.
-->