Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Flowering Shrub

japanese maples

I have a 10 year old, 30 inch tall, weeping lace leaf japanese maple, last year it was beautiful with lots of healthy leafs and new growth, this year I worried about it....

earlier this spring it was covered with leaf buds, it still has the buds, but the look dry and dead, (could they have died in the last freezing weather we had?) As it stands , it has only put out a dozen or so leafs in two small clumps on oppisite sides of the tree. The none of the branches are dry or brittle, so i assume its not dead, but why would it not produce new buds and leafs?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Flowering Shrub

My crape myrtles did that one year. The leaf buds froze in April. I decided to wait them out and finally in June they put out new leaves. That was 6 years ago and they're fine. Hopefully your tree will come back. I think it was the fool me once/fool me twice thinking.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Tree

Did the soil dry for a while ?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Flowering Shrub

no, the only time the soil tends to dry out is in august, i basicly live in a small valley with a spring running through it, so we generally get alot of humidity that collects, then runs off my roof in the mornings. Any plants beneath the roofs edge get some water every day during warm weather.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the late freeze we had about 4 weeks ago killed the buds, the branches still bend easily and there is some signs of life i.e. the few leaves it has produced...... if this is the case, will it come back?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Flower Garden

It should put back out soon, the late freeze nipped one of my redbuds but it is starting to recover and bud out again. They are pretty resilient so just give it a little time.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Acorn

Yeah, it will be fine. I have 3 potted Jap M. the rest in ground and last year I brought them out too early and lost me first round of buds. Yours will just put out more buds.

Jap. Maples are pretty hardy. I had to move 1 of my older dwarfs to expand our garden pond and I have die back of a lot of limbs, but it will bounce back in a few years with new growth.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Flowering Shrub

mines potted and out all year...

and this was a bad winter for us here, we almost never get snow like we did last year! .....

you say you bring yours in, should I?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Acorn

Yes, for my winters up here, my potted j. Maples get to spend thier winter in my garage. I water once a month and my 1 big guy gets his limbs wrapped up so I can just tuck him in a corner and not have to worry about breaking any limbs if I'm moving the pots around.

These j.m used to be my stepfathers, I just do the same thing he did for years. The first winter after my parents retired and left for Florida, I didn't follow his directions and I actually lost 2. I didnt keep on watering when I should have and I put them out too soon after winter. I haven't had the heart to tell him. I just ordered more online to replace.

The j.m I have in the ground around my yard seem to be hardier. Must be because the have larger root systems?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Flowering Shrub

I think the potted ones get hit harder by winter because their root systems are basicly above ground.....
-->