Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Acorn

Indigenous trees to attract birds and wildlife

Hi,

I'd like to get a little information regarding indigenous trees to attract wildlife - birds, squirrels etc. - to our garden.

We have a large open area at present where we're hoping to establish a small 'forest'.

I'd like to plant a variety of trees that will provide shelter, food and shade to critters in our area. We are in zone 6a/b.

I've looked around and have found some useful information on types of trees, but I'd very much like to get members' input on this also.

Thanks for your assistance in this regard.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Blade of Grass

Send a message via Yahoo to Donna Dean Send a message via Skype™ to Donna Dean
I know the squirrels go nuts for oak trees here. Any kind of oak will do as long as it is mature enough to drop acorns. That also provides it's own set of problems, however, in the form of hundreds of smaller oak trees growing every year.

I can't really help with birds. I have a pair of nesting hawks that come back every year and scare away all other birds in the area from nesting. I would think that the oak trees would work well for that too.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
The 1st thing you will have to consider is, what type of wild life you are looking to attract, and go from there. But as a general rule, evergreen bush will provide shelter in bad weather. Berry barring bush, will provide food, make sure you have a year round supply, a water source is also a good idea, nesting box for birds will do nicely. What every wildlife you would like to attract, research there needs, fill them, and enjoy them!

Check out my swap list!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Sprout

Here is my suggestions. I would plant some oaks they attract lots of wildlife such as squirrels and many other animals eat acorns as well such as deer, and wild turkey. They also provide good nesting sites. Another plant I would suggest is Winter berry it's a small tree and a type of holly and it produces lots of red berries birds like. Another one good tree would be mulberries, they attract a lot of songbirds. Also Viburniums such as high bush cranberries produce lots of berries for birds too. American Persimmon produce lots of fruit many animals like. Also if you have a sunny area I wold suggest planting a small prairie garden with native grasses and plants such as little bluestem, purple coneflower, black-eyed susan, bee palm, blazing stars, northern sea oats etc the seeds attract many birds and the flowers attract butterflies and humming birds. I hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Sprout

Also would suggest planting Red Twig Dogwood it's a shrub. Also would plant white flowering dogwood, dogwoods produce berries that birds love. Also would suggest planting black walnuts, hickory nuts, Maybe a few white pines, pines provide shelter for many species of birds but they can block the sun and they don't produce food for anything really, though squirrels sometimes eat the pinecones. Birds of prey and mourning doves seem to prefer pine trees to nest in. Also maples are good because squirrels and some birds eat the seeds.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Flower Garden

I think that Nyrak hit the nail on the head with the question: “what type of wildlife are you looking to attract?”

Bgdwin has given great suggestion for attracting all types of wildlife, but it really depends on what you are specifically looking for. The only thing that I could add to his list of things is WATER. Some type of water source is always important when trying to attract any type of wildlife.

Last edited by SwampLady; 01-04-2013 at 09:53 AM..
-->