Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K

Hibiscus trees

How should i go about trying to root hibiscus seeds?Any and all advice is welcome.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Flower Garden

Um do you want to root a cutting or grow from seed?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Bush

Send a message via AIM to Sheila K Send a message via MSN to Sheila K Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila K
I have some seeds i wanted to root.I don't have any cuttings.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Sheila, seeds do not root. They germinate!
Cuttings root.

And... what kind of Hibiscus?
I have tried hardy Hibiscus (moscheutos). I cut a very small portion of the shell to expose just a little bit of the white middle and then in water for a night and then just planted in potting mix with some gravel added.
I am not sure if this would work on tropical hibiscus seeds.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Bush

Thanks for the correction.I had a major brain freeze and could not think of germinate.How long does it usually take for the seeds to germinate?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Flower Garden

If they are round you want to soak them starting off in hand hot water for 24 hours then plant about 1/4 inch deep. If you can find a way to hold on to them without crushing them you'll want to cut the seed coat with a sharp razor type knife. With heat on the bottom maybe a week or two with no heat 4 to 6 weeks if the soil temperature is below 70 degrees.

If they are kind of flat then as Cal says, take a pair of sharp scissors (i use cuticle scissors) and cut a sliver off of the seed coat and again soak for 24 hours in hand hot water and plant 1/4 inch deep.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Flower Garden

have any of you rooted a cutting - and if so - is it difficult. My hibiscus flowers but I have yet to find a seed.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Blossom

Easy to Make Scarification Chamber

I find it way to hard to hold those small seeds and nick them so I designed a scarification chamber. A small straight sided container with a plastic snap on lid. I use a crushed nut container, like the ones for ice cream topings. I buy the largest grit sandpaper I can find [lower the number the larger the grit]. 60 & 80 grit paper is common. Cut a piece to fit around the inside circumference of your container and glue it in place.
To use place a few seeds in the container, snap on the lid and swirl them around a dozen or so times. The sandpaper will erode some of hard coating away. Then I begin the 24 soak. It saves me time and don't end up nipping my fingers either.

Hope this helps
Bill

PS Don't plant any seeds that have holes in them. The larvae of the hibiscus seed beetle 'Bruchids' has eaten the embryo of that seed.

Last edited by Gardener Guy; 01-14-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Flower Garden

That's brilliant bill!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Flower Garden

Gardener Guy, when are the beetles active and should I put some kind of spray on the hibiscus to prevent them from attacking?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Blossom

When are the beetles active? That's a hard question. Starting in July they are beginning to gather but it is about 85% males as the season progresses more and more femailes show up until Sep when you have about 85% of the population being females. This where it causes us the problems. The fertile female deposit eggs on the ripe embryos of the hibiscus. When the egg hatches, the larva borrowing into the seed and eats the seed embryo, rendering the seed useless. As the larva develops inside the seed it emerges as a mature hibiscus beetle 'Bruchid'. The seeds you have collected may contain larva and this process will continue inside your storage container.
In some countries the infestation becomes so bad some years that whole silos of beans are destroyed. Fortunately we don't experience that with our hibiscus. But to stopped the cycle my late season seed pods are stored separately from the ones gathered earlier in the season. I take an empty pill bottle and poke a few holes in the lid, fill it loosely with cotton and add a dozen drops or so citronella oil to the cotton. I drop the capped botlle in the ZipLoc with the seed pods and seal. I leave the bottle in there until I'm ready to harvest the seeds. I very rarely loose more than 10% to 15% of my seeds so I don't take any chemical action against them.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks for the information Gardener Guy. Every day here is another learning experience.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Originally Posted by SwampLady View Post:
have any of you rooted a cutting - and if so - is it difficult. My hibiscus flowers but I have yet to find a seed.
You'll have to wait loooong for seeds!
Over here, zone 7 roughly, we all keep these tropical hibiscus in pots, they bloom but NEVER have I heard of seedpods following.
Blooms just impress on us and then fall off!

I have heard of tropical hibiscus seeds coming from tropical countries, and from experience growers who know how to hybridize and get these blooms to produce seeds.

Am I wrong... we have members from zones 9-11... do you ever have seedpods on your hibiscus? I wonder!

Over here...we mainly root cuttings if we want to propagate them.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Flower Garden

So what are the chances of doing a successful root cutting and has anyone had success with doing so? Do they look like the mother plant after they grow? Yes, I sound like a dummy but I have never done a semi-hard-wood root cutting before.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Bush

Good question Swamplady.....I want to know what the difference is in hibiscus, hardy hibiscus, tropical hibiscus and Rose of Sharon....can someone fill me in?
-->