Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Tree

has anyone ever tried to grow persimmon trees?

from a seed? or maybe from rooting a cutting? Last fall I planted 2 persimmon seeds that i got out of persimmons & I just now got impatient & went looking one looks like it is free of the seed hull, the other looks like it stop growing, or maybe it is only started...anyway, the root on both kinda looks black, so I'm not sure what to think the root & plant on the one oout of the hull isn't mushy, i think the piece of root on the seed is...I guess I'll get more seeds this coming fall, not sure if persimmon trees are sold where I live or not...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Flower Garden

They are sold here but they are hard to find. Check the forestry service website I think I saw some listed on there a while back but I'm not sure.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Tree

I think I'll wait to see if the one that looked like it sprouted grows...And maybe plant more seeds in the fall when I find them in fruit.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by skayc1 View Post:
from a seed? or maybe from rooting a cutting? Last fall I planted 2 persimmon seeds that i got out of persimmons & I just now got impatient & went looking one looks like it is free of the seed hull, the other looks like it stop growing, or maybe it is only started...anyway, the root on both kinda looks black, so I'm not sure what to think the root & plant on the one oout of the hull isn't mushy, i think the piece of root on the seed is...I guess I'll get more seeds this coming fall, not sure if persimmon trees are sold where I live or not...
Hi everybody!. Persimmon will grow from seed ,don't worry.. just be patient and dont overwater...it grows slowly from the beginning...You can read about Persimmon on the web. I grow them succesfully in Bridgeport CT as well as I grow Figs....But Persimmon is so hard to propagate !! Practically the only real way is from the seed and grafting ...Don't waste your time on propagating from cuttings..this is not the ;right' tree for this !
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Flower Garden

my mom has a whole bunch of little persimmon trees where she is at they have a lot of them come up under her persimmon trees
Old 09-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Acorn

Persimmon trees

Lucky your mom !! These are Suckers and they come from the root ,especially if you damage the roots when raking or doing something under the tree... You can transplant the very carefully at the time of the ''dormant' time and graft it in a year or later... .You also can keep it after you transplant it, if the mother tree was growing on its own roots (was not grafted....). In this case it will be the same fruit as your on your mother'e tree
Old 09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Flower Garden

my mother's trees has not been grafted and probably there for a hundred years or whatever they have been there for alot of years
Old 09-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Tree

We are bombarded with persimmon trees here! They grow in tight little groves. These persimmons are a bit larger then a gumball and bright orange when fully ripe! I've never tried growing them from seed though.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Acorn

Persimmons

I am sorry that I was and I am talking about Chinese, Japanese or Asian Kaki persimmons...!! Of cource you don't have to graft American persimmon because there is no sence to do this as it is a small fruit and grows tall.. Kaki Persimmons are reall good size fruits and sooo tasty !! I will be grafting Japanese persimmon onto Ameican Persimmon this spring ...
Old 09-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Tree

Are all breeds of persimmon bitter til frost or just American persimmon
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Acorn

Sorry...don't have time for lectures... Check it on the web --there are plenty of information on any taste!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Sprout

I might have to try growing one from seed!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Acorn

Okay ! There are 2 types of Persimmon...astrigent and non astrigent. Also, American persimmon fruit is small one and' Orinetal' Persimmon are big fruit and delicious. May be it will help you decide which one to waste your time on... Also...from the seed..takes 6=7 years to see the fruit, grafted 3-4...
-->