Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upAcer Palmatum germination

Last year, my friend from Turkey was kind enough to send me some Japanese Red Maple seeds collected from his own 'Weeping Crimson Queen' tree!

: )

I placed them in moist soil in a plastic container, and put them in my fridge last September 27th for a cold-stratification period. Just tonight I opened up the container, and noticed that all the seeds have a white root coming out of them!

: o

It only took 5-6 months! Looks like I've got a few good seedlings and I can't wait to pot them up...

I'll keep the progress posted here...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Congrats!! They are so cute Look foward to seeing how they do.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upThanks, Mary!

It's a pretty big deal to me, and I've been wanting to sprout some JRM seeds for a long time now. The seeds don't come true to the parent tree however, but I'm told some beautiful varieties may still result nonetheless.

I plan on hardening these little guys off asap. After all, they are trees and should be outside. So shocked that it took 6 months for them to germinate! Makes them super special to me indeed. I hope I get some gorgeous specimens from the bunch I have.

I seem to recall soaking the seeds in water back in the fall too, for 24 hours, before tucking them away in a soil filled container for their 6 month long refrigerator slumber. Way cool.

I'll be sure to post more shots when the seedlings emerge from the soil I planted them in earlier this evening. I was advised that they were definitely ready to be buried in pots and taken out of the fridge.

The anticipation is nearly killing me...

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 03-09-2010 at 01:21 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Bush

Congrats on getting the seeds to sprout!!
I have 2-Bloodgood, 1-Osakazuki,1-Emperor and 2-Inba Shidare.
I go to the Garden Centers and wait till they are near closing for the season.....the most that I have paid for a Japanese Maple is $40.00.....most were around $20.00. The original prices started at $150.00-$200.00. Patience pays off.....
Old 03-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upWay too cool!!!

After potting up the sprouts, they're emerging less than a few days later...

A 2nd seedling can be seen coming up in the upper right of the picture also. I'm sure many more will emerge tomorrow...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upHere's how things are looking today...

Here are the other seedlings...

Looks like I will have 10 trees total.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Such a pretty little tree sherry! I noticed that it is seperated from the others...some times when I grow a few of somthing there is one plant that will catch my eye and it just stands out from the rest. I am guessing that is how this little one is for you.

I planted a few more seeds last night of adeniums..2 differant ones. So looking foward to how they do. It looks like out of my batch of variegated adenium seeds only one is going to have any variegation. Not the result I had hoped for but from what I have heard I am blessed to even get 1.

Right now I have my eyes on the goji berry pot and the morning glorys and salvia..hey will sprout soon.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Flower Garden

TalkingYup, I separated it from the rest because it's my favorite...

I intend on separating them all eventually but this one was my favorite so I wanted to pamper & spoil it.

Good luck with your adeniums, Mary. Hope they work out well for you. I also know how excited you are about the Goji Berry seeds popping. So thrilling and exciting.

Hvae fun.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Flower Garden

TalkingHere's my biggest tree to date...

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady; 07-16-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Accidental photo deletion
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upAlright...

Maybe I've got a few still hanging around but this little guy was later sprouting than the others & definitely slower grower too.

In fact this tiny tree was green a short time ago but now it's truning red this Autumn!

I have two more trees, apart from this one, but they are all in different windows, so I'll release some more shots soon....

I must say that growing Japanese Red Maple trees from seed has got to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever

had!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Flower Garden

TalkingCuttings!

Such fun when I sprouted JRM seeds before and I gave all my little trees to some very happy gardening pals.

Although I plan on germinating some more seeds again this fall and winter....I am currently trying to root JRM cuttings!!!

I have four cuttings right now, as of last night, but hoping to get some more. There's a nice lady down the street who has a gorgeous weeping JRM on her lawn....I'm going to ask her if I can have a couple cuttings from the back of her tree. I'm sure she won't mind.

Here is one of my cute red little cuttings this morning...

I mist them all regularly and they are under glass until they root. Don't want to lose them because they are extra special to me. Fingers crossed they root for me.

Anyone else tried to root JRM cuttings or want to?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Flower Garden

At garden centers around here jap maples run anywhere from 80 to 180 dollars. A lady advertised them in our local paper for between 10-25 dollars. I went and got a 10 dollar one. Its about 2-3 foot tall. Beautiful tree, right now the leaves are both red and green so I don't know if its going to be totally red or not.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Tree

That was a great find Tess!

HollyberryLady, your JRM cutting is super cute, good luck with it!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Flower Garden

I am like a nervous mother hen waiting for her eggs to hatch and it hasn't even been a full day!!!

How am I ever going to make it through the next 4-6 weeks?!

I am seriously going to ask this nice lady up the street for cuttings from her gorgeous lawn specimen. Most gardeners are more than willing to share but always ask permission. Never just take them. I've only had one person say no in 10 years! It was an old grumpy man.

I'm keeping the JRM cuttings moist and in strappled sunlight in an east windowsill. I will take the glass covers off each day so they will adjust better later when there is no cover at all. I know how to pamper and spoil even the toughest cuttings so I have every faith in these ones. They are perked up and happy this evening.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upExperiment!

No roots just yet but it's only been a couple weeks. Cuttings still look great.

Thinking about doing something cool this Fall when I get my hands on some more JRM seeds...

I saw a picture of how someone had three Japanese Red Maple trees, in strikingly beautiful but different colors, all braided together in a pot to look like one tree! It was stunningly beautiful and it looked like a bonsai tree.

Gonna try this with my 3 coolest colored seedlings this Winter.
-->