Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Acorn

Send a message via AIM to tonytran

Fruit trees

Hello all,
I have been involved in gardening for 30 plus years. I enjoyed it very much. In the last 5 years i started to graft fruit trees. I know have over 15 pear varieties on one trees and over 40 varieties of other fruit trees: peaches, apricots, persimmons, cherries, nectarines, plums, jujube, pawpaw, apples, and grapes. I think everyones should learn how to graft fruit trees. It is very simple and you can learn it on youtube under bark graft and you can swap fruit trees varieties with me.

Best regards,

Tony Tran
Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Acorn

That sounds very interesting to me, but I must admit I don't know much about grafting. Also, I only have a little less than half an acre (including my house) and I always seem to want more than I actually have room to plant. I know there are dwarf varieties and espalier techniques, etc. But I haven't really gotten started much down this path. And also I only to date have ornamental crab apples, 2 small chicago hardy fig trees (too small to take a cutting from yet), and a few months ago I bought a small already grafted cortland apple tree. So I would love to trade, but I'm not sure I have much you would be interested in, or quite know what to do with it. But you have my attention.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Sprout

Quite some time since original posting was done...

but I am very interested. I have what some have told me are two essential graft trees... the quince and ornamental pear.

Would appreciate any new info
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Acorn

Send a message via AIM to tonytran

Grafting fruit trees.

Hi,

I am glad that you are interested in grafting. You can learn it on Youtube. There are several techniques: Bark graft, simple wedge graft, Whip and Tongue. I grafted my Euros and Asians pear on Cleveland flowering pear seedlings. They are very cold hardy and fireblight resistant and a very strong trunk tree. You can also join Gardenweb.com. There are so many of us fruitnuts on there. We all have a wealth of infos on fruit trees. Good Luck.

Tony
-->