Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Trees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Acorn

QuestionArbor Day Foundation??

Hi all, I am a tree lover and new poster to this website. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you.

I have a new home that came with NO TREES!! So far I have planted 11 trees, with hopes to plant many more. The expense however is very high. I have ordered most of mine from Gurneys so far and so far successful. I was thinking of ordering from the Arbor Day Foundation too as their prices are so reasonable. Has anyone ordered from them and had success? Are there other places you have gotten trees and good prices. Thank you so much for any help you can give me. Diane
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Flower Garden

Hi Diane!! Nice to meet you. I have never ordered from them but I'm sure someone on here has. Enjoy the site!!
Deb
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Tree

welcome ndtreelover, jump in & tell us more. I didn't think 2 order trees from them will check it out.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
We joined Nat. Arbor Day Foundation and have received free saplings that are now a decent size 4 yrs. later and we have a group of baby blue spruces that are soon going to be ready to be planted in their spots so I'd say you'll be safe ordering bigger specimens.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

Hi Diane, you might check with your local city hall. My city gives away free native trees twice a year. They are usually small bareroot saplings ~1' tall. Maybe your city has a similar program.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Blade of Grass

I have donated to the A.D.F. and have received the 10 free trees. I think I have 2 of them left ,they are spindley little twigs,but for a donation what do you expect?
I haven't ordered from them yet,trying to find a place for the ones I have now. I'll take pics and post them soon as it cools off here.
I'm pretty sure the ones you buy are better than the free ones,at least I'd hope so.
I did buy 2 trees from this site,red maples,and they are doing well,again,spindley twigs,but healthy.
Got 2 autumn clematis too... hope this helps.Supposedly you don't buy the trees and plants,you just pay the postage.As I remember ,they were 7.95 for2 of each .

http://www.freetreesandplants.com/index.html

Last edited by Pyewacketcat; 08-04-2008 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: added more information
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Flowering Shrub

I get mine as 'closeout specials' from K-Mart. Home Depot near me also has trees that sometimes need a little special care to bring back.

Never done the Arbor thing.....my yard is only so big! Must have sun for more flowers!!

Scott (and my garden) B
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Flower

Becki

thats a great site, thanks for posting it.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Sprout

I joined the Arbor Day Foundation several years ago and got the 10 free trees. They came as just tiny little saplings and if I had known then what I know now, I would have potted them up and let them grow for at least another year or two before I tried to plant them in the ground. I didn't have any of the saplings survive. But like was mentioned earlier, I guess for just the price of a donation, you sort of get what you pay for.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Flower Garden

We had originally planted the saplings we got from them alongside our shed but didn't fence area off and deer chewed some. The ones that survived stayed in that garden for 3 yrs. before being planted in their permanent spots and they are doing fantastic. The Washington Hawthorne is now taller than me and I'm 5'7. All are great hts. and doing well. Personally I like my trees more full-grown, I'm not particularly patient but these turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Sprout

Send a message via Skype™ to treehuggers
At our last house, I had the same situation - no trees. We had a strip of grass, and had to be creative with the rest. Fortunately, I found some seed swappers for the flowers and joined Arbor Day. Most people may not realize, that they will replace all the trees for shipping if you just call and tell them. I have a few trees starting to root. If you wouldn't mind the wait I can send something once they are strong. Most of the smaller hardware stores and nurseries usually offer good discounts end of summer.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via AIM to SuddenlySpring
Got a few trees from them--the NADF--when I signed on to the home depot's webpage and entered my receipt #. Two years ago they did a promo with them. Both trees have survived and look good.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Forest

Smile

Originally Posted by Mandy View Post:
We joined Nat. Arbor Day Foundation and have received free saplings that are now a decent size 4 yrs. later and we have a group of baby blue spruces that are soon going to be ready to be planted in their spots so I'd say you'll be safe ordering bigger specimens.
Mandy .....

Tell me how you did your baby blue spruce seeds.
i planted oodles of christmas tree seeds.Germinated great, soon as I transplant they all die???

Any help you an give me/
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Flower Garden

Bali they sent saplings, not seeds and they are doing well.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Flower Garden

We keep the saplings in a spot by the shed for several years til they grow a bit. The first time we got a bunch of Blue Spruce saplings we planted them rt. away in various places and they all died. This time we've had them in the "nursery" as I call it for 2-3 yrs. and they'll go in their permanent spots either in the fall or next spring. That really seems to work best for us.
-->