Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Flower Garden

I had several different types of hosta at one time but the deer thought it was their own personal salad bar and ate it to the ground. Many of the commons came back but the ones that cost me money died. Mine are in full sun all the time.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Sprout

I bought Empress Wu last year, I think i paid $22.00 for a 1 gallon pot. I hope it did well through the winter. Seems like every time I pay a premium price for a plant it dies. The biggest ones I have right now are Blue Mammoth, T Rex, and Thunderbolt. But they are all at least 4 years old now. I have about 250 varieties of hosta, and am always looking for more.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Flowering Shrub

I really like the look of Hosta, They grow here in florida, but don't get as big as they do up north.

Slow down and enjoy life.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Acorn

Worlds Largest Hosta ... Let's see ...

If were talking Height - Empress Wu might well be the tallest ... at 4 1/2 feet. and I have seen the leaves on a carefully planted division so this is probably creditable reference.
If were talking Diameter - that could be either T-Rex at 8 feet (commonly referenced) or Sum and Substance at 9 feet as one report suggests. I have both and some day they will collide in my garden.
If were talking Flower size - recently I read that Double-Up has 6 inch diameter flowers.
IF were talking Scape length - might I suggest Sum and Substance, or sebolianna with acapes approaching 4 feet in length.

Mind you all of this is caveats on growing conditions and placement of the Hosta in question.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Last edited by MstrPBK; 04-15-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Flower

I just looked up the Empress Wu Hosta. I have 1 that they told me was the Elephant Ear Hosta because it gets so big. But it looks just like the ones in the pictures that I googled of the Empress Wu. I bought it a couple of years ago. I actually got it on sale. lol. They are finally getting big, huge leaves on them. I love my Hostas.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Sprout

Welcome this is one great site
Have learned so much in the short time I've been here!!
This is one awesome group of people
Old 09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Acorn

Originally Posted by deb_b View Post:
I just looked up the Empress Wu Hosta. I have 1 that they told me was the Elephant Ear Hosta because it gets so big. But it looks just like the ones in the pictures that I googled of the Empress Wu. I bought it a couple of years ago. I actually got it on sale. lol. They are finally getting big, huge leaves on them. I love my Hostas.
How many years did it take for your Xanadu Empress Wu to mature to give you its large leaves? I planted three XEW this late summer (2013) and they are already pumping new leaves out! I can see why Elephants Ear and Xanadu Empress Wu MIGHT BE confused.

By the way Xanadu Empress Wu is the registered name for the retail referance of Empress Wu.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul MN USA
Follow my real time, and not so real-time, adventures in Hosta gardening at: http://hostabykelley.blogspot.com/

Last edited by MstrPBK; 09-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word and omission in contaxt.

Tags
giant hostas, hosta, hosta plants, hostas
-->