Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Flower Garden

A variety of Bird's Nest Fern?

I've been admiring asplenium for sometime now and finally starting a collection! Yesterday I bought my third bird's nest fern while at LongueVue Gardens.

Any aficionados of Bird's Nest Fern that can identify variety, please step up.
I'm wondering if this is an elkhorn fern possibly? They are listed under bird's nest. LongueVue lists this plant when I purchased it as bird's nest fern.

Input please?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Tree

Yes on Elkhorn ! Nice pick up!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Flower Garden

oh good tisilent, thanks! Well, it seems I now have two elkhorn ferns. LOL My first elkhorn looks different than the later one I just got. Now wondering if there are variety elkhorn ferns? I'll have to take a pic and post so you can see the difference.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Flower Garden

Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Tree

They look the same to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Blossom

Both are very nice. The first does appear shorter and more compact to me. I think it's the same plant as well. Different light levels could cause the differences but I'm not entirely sure if that's all it could be. Still, they both look happy and healthy!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Flower

Wooo....that beautiful the two. I like a lot the ferns ... collect them .. I also like it because it recreates a microclimate in the courtyard giving or trying much humidity for my orchids and bromeliads.

Both are Microsorum punctatum (syn: Polypodium polycarpon and Polypodium punctatun ) This is the cultivar Microsorum punctatum 'Grandiceps' . It is known by several common names ... I know as "fern crystal "...it is so fragile...very brittle, breaks easy. The first plant is more younger than the other.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/48521/

http://www.thaifern.com/Polypodiacea.../snake-ray.htm

Your plants are very healthy and happy. To grow beautiful requires a lot of humidity and a substrate rich in organic nutrients. Never let the soil dry for a long time should always be wet. You are doing well

I have the specie the typical or pure Microsorum punctatum and the cultivar Microsorum punctatum 'Grandiceps' .

Microsorum punctatum ( the specie )

Microsorum punctatum 'Grandiceps' (the cultivar)

Last edited by ana patricia; 06-16-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
If it grows pretty fast, them it is most likely a elk horn fern. and can be planted on a tree truck or rock or something like that. These plants can be grown from just a 2-foot section of a healthy plant that has been separated and broken off to start new growth. The new piece of fern is simply placed in the crook of a tree and attached with some thin wire, arranged gently so as not to harm any part of the plant. Then a bit of moss is tucked in between the fern and the tree to give the plant something to grow with and help it attach to the tree. Hope it is for ya, that would be pretty cool

Check out my swap list!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Blossom

CoolFern

Young stag horn fern. I have never seen one that young. Very healthy looking. Did you grow it from seed?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Flower

Dear friend nyrak ... is right but sorry, sorry so is for Platycerium "Staghorn Fern" . The Microsorum punctatum no is epiphytic ...this is terrestrial. The epiphytes only are the Platycerium or "Staghorn Fern", that have a very characteristic fronds with leaves not brilliant but ashy, gray green..fuzz covering the leaves and without prominent veins .... are exclusively epiphytic, on a substrate with soil ..... will die. For example : Platycerium bifurcatum and many others Platycerium species and cultivares that appear on the following link :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/P...ne/cultivar/0/

Microsorum punctatum 'Grandiceps' is terrestrial. The species can be grown also on a substrate as orchids, like the first picture I put up in a coconut shell, but the cultivar most commonly grown in substrate with soil.... very loose. If you put substrate with soil... will never die for that reason.

See, I have my Microsorum punctatum 'Grandiceps' also in soil with humus(leaf mold) sand or perlite... and are well.

My Platycerium , ( This is exclusively epiphyte .. can also be tied to a tree or stump but I prefer hanging baskets and coconut fiber )

Platycerium bifurcatum

Platycerium coronarium...tied to a tree

Last edited by ana patricia; 06-17-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Flower Garden

thanks zorfox, nyrak, bjbr and ana patricia!

ana patricia, thanks for the species and cultivar names on my ferns. Yours are lovely! And wow, what a beautiful fern collection you have and enjoy! nyrak, I've been growing my hanging elkhorn for several years and I find it to grow slowly. The latest find I bought at LongueVue Gardens. It looks like there are three separate ferns in the pot. I'm not sure if I will separate them or keep them as they are. I want to do something special with my bird's nest fern but unsure of yet. on the varieties. They are scattered in various parts of the courtyard at this time.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Acorn

Good Morning,, i found this site... looking for a fern for my friend,, because she had one and didnt know what type,, and i ? it ..Also,,, that fern is a Birdsnest ,, Chrissy... and wanted to say something,, been.searching for a bit and just had to write,, i googled all kinds ,,staghorn,,elks head,, fish tail ,,its in a link.w name bama or black jungel,, ok very nice,,my friends is beautiful,,
-->