Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Foliage / Ornamentals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Flower Garden

These pictures illustrate how the berries first start to ripen. They grow green at first and then ripen in later summer, beginning with a pale mauve, leading to a deeper lavender...

And then of course finishing with a rich amythest color...

Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Flower Garden

Hey, do these bushes leaves turn a deep burgundy in fall? I can't remember if gats what I planted last year or not. Thanks.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Flower Garden

Yes actually Tess, they do!

The leaves turn a purple/maroon color before they drop. Extremely ornamental.

I've mentioned though, that the berries stay intact all winter long and even into springtime.

Thank you for your interest and post...and for mentioning something I had forgot.

Another point worth noting, for those who are not aware...

As I've also mentioned, these shrubs re-build themselves from the ground up, each new season. They will be most vigorous if the old dead wood from the previous season is cut down to the ground in the spring. Not cutting them back may result in slow and unshapely growth.

One of my garden friends does not cut his back each year and he says the shrub is not as productive, as a result. Everyone else I've shared this shrub with, who cuts it back each season however, has bushes that are thriving and vigorous. Sure makes a difference, so I wanted to emphasize the importance of pruning them back every year....especially if ornamental beauty is important to you.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Tree

Thanks for all the info HBL, do you know how tall and wide these can get? Or does that depend on how it's cared for?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Flower Garden

Well, honestly mine is only about 18 inches tall, cause of getting fun over by the lawn mower last year, it might have been 2 years in a row this happened cause I can't remember when exactly I planted it. Part of mine has already turned deep burgundy and the rest is turning. I don't remember seeing berries on it though. How old do they gave to be before you see berries?. I had another one but before I knew it, it was run over too but it died. I really didn't think this one was going to make it.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Flower Garden

You're very welcome, Nerd.

Generally speaking, they get no taller than 5 feet and if left unpruned they can grow up to 8 feet wide. It all depends on pruning practices, however. You can honestly control the size of these little perennial beauties!

Tess, you bring up another good point...

I believe that if you fertilize your shrubs with a formula low in nitrogen and try to be careful not to prune it back so hard with your lawnmower...you may very well be expecting some flowers and berries, next year.

These shrubs are heavy fruit producers so giving them fertilizers that are high in phosphorus and potassium will be very beneficial.

Also, be certain that your shrubs are getting some good sunlight, which will also encourage plentiful flower and fruit production.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Flower Garden

Lol, well considering it was only about 3 inches tall at the beginning of spring, I think it has grown pretty well to reach 18 inches. I've got stakes surrounding it so my brother will not run over it again when he comes to cut my grass. I give all my plants Epsom salt on a pretty regular I travail. As will as a balanced fertilizer.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Flower Garden

Sounds good, Tess. Should be blooming for you soon.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Flower Garden

I should mention too, that these shrubs are capable of growing 5 feet in one season...should you decide not to prune them at all.

So I've got the six surrounding seedlings now transplanted into another pot today....

I decided not to throw them away after all and will offer them in some trades with new people. Anyone else I've already traded with, may have some cuttings off my mother bush when I propagate later....or seeds of course.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Tree

Send a message via Yahoo to LetItGrow
Can they really can grow 5 feet in one season?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Tree

They remind me of butterfly bushes the way you describe their growth habit HBL!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Flower Garden

Yes Lig, it is more than possible. The branches can easily grow five feet in one season. These shrubs develop themselves anew each season, from the ground up.

Around April/May, you will begin to see many new green shoots coming up, amidst the previous season's old dead wood. This is your cue to go get your pruners.

Cut back all the dead wood, right to the ground, but leave all the new green shoots alone....because they will be your new shrub. If you put these bushes in good sunlight and feed them well, they can easily spread 5-8 feet in one season!

But that's only if you want them to, because remember what I said about pruning. You can keep them whatever size you want.

And you can make hundreds more bushes from cuttings off your mama shrub!

You guys are going to have lots of fun growing this amazing perennial. Nerd, would you prefer to have a seedling too...along with the seeds? It could be your little halloween perennial.

Lig, I already know your answer.....that's why I didn't ask.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Tree

I have a bonsai dish ready to be used
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Flower Garden

So do you want one of my seedlings? Or do you mean you're going to sow the seeds?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Tree

I would like to try the seeds first. I like to watch them grow. It gives me a plant rush
-->